2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby mac-unit » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:49 pm

eneric wrote:Non-waiver trade deadline 2 weeks from today. So far no relief pitchers have been moved. Who is most likely to get traded & what current set up men are in line to step into the closer role?

Are the Redsox going to acquire a closer or will they roll with Uhera?

Matt Thornton was traded to the redsox on the 12th
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eneric » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:59 pm

mac-unit wrote:
eneric wrote:Non-waiver trade deadline 2 weeks from today. So far no relief pitchers have been moved. Who is most likely to get traded & what current set up men are in line to step into the closer role?

Matt Thornton was traded to the redsox on the 12th

Oh yeah that's right, LOL thanks for reminding me
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby jackie hayes » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:53 pm

How likely is Papelbon to be traded? Does Ben Revere's injury make Papelbon's trade more likely?

Are any teams really that interested in Steve Cishek & if so who closes in Miami? Lebron?

How about the WhiteSox? I've heard rumors about both Reed & Crain

How about Chris Perez? Is he a sure thing to be traded & is Pestano the new closer in waiting?

Who is the most likely pitcher to go to Detroit?

Is Glen Perkins really that likely to get traded? From all I've been reading I don't think he will but if he does who takes over? Burton?

The Brewers are the biggest mystery, K-Rod being the most likely to go or Axford. If K-Rod gets traded does Henderson slide back into the closer role or does Axford get another crack?

How about Houston? How likely is Veras to be traded & who's the go to guy next?

The Mariner's situation is about the same as Houston's

How likely are the Rockies to move Betancour? I think & hope very likely.

And finally how about the Padres? Will Street or Gregerson go?

Crain and K-Rod look like locks to be traded. The Sox would ask a lot for Reed, so I'm guessing he sticks.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)

Postby hot4tx » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:04 pm

Who is most likely to get traded & what current set up men are in line to step into the closer role?
I think Gregg has a pretty decent chance of moving. The Cubs have shown that they're willing to work to move guys, he's been good but not great in his career but doing well now, but he isn't a guy that they'll get picks from if they keep him. I really like Blake Parker to fill in if he's moved.

How about Chris Perez? Is he a sure thing to be traded & is Pestano the new closer in waiting?

Are the Indians sellers? Unless they hit a cold streak I figured they'd try to make a run. If they did trade Perez today I'd almost think Cody Allen would have the first crack at closing. If Pestano has a good few outtings he could earn his closer in waiting tag back.

How about Houston? How likely is Veras to be traded & who's the go to guy next?
Houston doesn't really have anybody in the pipe with any history of success that screams closer in waiting. Even though they need to rebuild, I almost hope that the complete lack of alternative to Veras keeps them from trading him. They have been terrible but they don't want to continue getting worse to where they enter into all-time worst seasons type of range over the next year or so.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Bozo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:14 pm

I agree that Allen might actually be the next guy in line in Cleveland if Perez is moved or injured again. Pestano just hasn't been right and I think Smith is more of a set up guy.
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Garry26 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:55 am

For the Brewers it appears Francisco Rodriguez is the closer of late.

For Arizona, it was Bell, but now Sportsline says Ziegler even though others say it's Putz.

What's the situation in those? Especially Arizona.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Garry26 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:15 pm

@ jackie

The BoSox don't need a closer. Uehara can close and if they don't like him, they also have Bailey.

If Miami get rid of Cishek, they'll be in the same situation as in the start of the season: Trying out relievers and praying.

Burton would be the best choice to take over for Glen.

If K-Rod goes, then Henderson is probably the closer. Unless he falters. You know how it is. One or two fails in quick succession and you're gone.

If Veras goes, then it's Cisnero

The problem with teams that are in rebuilding mode for years to come is: What are htey going to do? Constantly train closers to trade for prospects?
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Nerveclinic » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:21 pm

Garry26 wrote:@ jackie

The BoSox don't need a closer. Uehara can close and if they don't like him, they also have Bailey.

It's starting to look like Bailey might be toast with shoulder issues.
Nerveclinic
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Garry26 wrote:@ jackie

If Miami get rid of Cishek, they'll be in the same situation as in the start of the season: Trying out relievers and praying.

Burton would be the best choice to take over for Glen.

If K-Rod goes, then Henderson is probably the closer. Unless he falters. You know how it is. One or two fails in quick succession and you're gone.

If Veras goes, then it's Cisnero

The problem with teams that are in rebuilding mode for years to come is: What are htey going to do? Constantly train closers to trade for prospects?

I think you're replying to eneric, not me. Not sure about Henderson. I hope that's what happens, since I still have Henderson in a number of leagues, but Axford has been better lately. (Though he could get moved, as well.)
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)

Postby Millhouse » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:31 pm

Grab Brothers if he's free: Betancourt to DL.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/272 ... betancourt
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers