Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby NZ Eff » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:12 am

SpecialFNK wrote:
Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:Johnson blows

yup.

that's number 6 on the season. he had 3 all of last season.

I don't know if the Orioles have anyone dramatically better to replace him, but do the Orioles maybe trade for a closer?

Nope. 3 of those BS came over a 5 day period. Johnson had converted 14 of his past 15 chances before today. His leash is still long.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:23 am

NZ Eff wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:

yup.

I don't know if the Orioles have anyone dramatically better to replace him, but do the Orioles maybe trade for a closer?

Nope. 3 of those BS came over a 5 day period. Johnson had converted 14 of his past 15 chances before today. His leash is still long.

;-D
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:09 am

NZ Eff wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:

yup.

But despite that, he's been really shaky. Even in his saves, he's been giving up runs and putting runners on base. The guy can't throw strikes anymore. One or 2 more bad appearances, and Hunter will get a shot.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby daullaz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:36 am

NZ Eff wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:

yup.

His control has been terrible as of late, walking six batters and hitting one over his last four innings of work. When he does come into the zone, he's getting hit, with seven hits over that same span. With two blown saves and losses in his last four appearances and the Orioles in the thick of the playoff race, they're not going to feel too comfortable sending him out there unless he can get his control back in order, especially with quality guys like Hunter or possibly an O'Day/Matusz committee to act as viable replacements.

If he looks bad and blows another save in his next appearance, I would think they make a change. The Yankees and Rays are right there and Buck Showalter just can't afford to keep letting Johnson try to regain his stuff in high-leverage situations. I've picked up Hunter in multiple leagues, but I almost feel like the O'Day/Matusz combo is a better move for the team, especially with the expectation Johnson will be right back in there in a few weeks if he improves.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:35 pm

Henderson is apparently locked into the setup role now (at least until somebody gets traded). 3rd straight time, I think? KRod seems to be alone here. I haven't been able to find any official statement, but the usage is clear enough.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 77)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:03 am

jackie hayes wrote:Henderson is apparently locked into the setup role now (at least until somebody gets traded). 3rd straight time, I think? KRod seems to be alone here. I haven't been able to find any official statement, but the usage is clear enough.

Happened same way last night also.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 95)

Postby rotoquest » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:13 am

Bailey could be the closer again really soon. If he was dropped in your league, I'd pick him up.

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ss ... rn_to.html
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)

Postby Millhouse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:34 pm

According to ‏@closernews -- who you should follow if you're not already -- current closers who could be traded this month: Veras, Cishek, Gregg, Street, K-Rod. Perkins, Janssen are longshots.

So based on that list, would your first grabs be Cisnero/Wright, Ramos, Russell/Blake Parker, Gregerson, Axford/Henderson, Burton, Cecil/Delabar?
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 102)

Postby jackie hayes » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:03 pm

Millhouse wrote:According to ‏@closernews -- who you should follow if you're not already -- current closers who could be traded this month: Veras, Cishek, Gregg, Street, K-Rod. Perkins, Janssen are longshots.

So based on that list, would your first grabs be Cisnero/Wright, Ramos, Russell/Blake Parker, Gregerson, Axford/Henderson, Burton, Cecil/Delabar?

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the setup guy might be on the block, too. Like with the Mike Adams/Heath Bell scenario a couple years ago.

Where Parker and Cecil carry SP-eligibility, they would be particularly helpful. I still like Henderson over Axford, but it's just a guess.

If Perkins was traded into a setup role, that would seriously suck for me.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 77)

Postby eneric » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:53 am

Millhouse wrote:According to ‏@closernews -- who you should follow if you're not already -- current closers who could be traded this month: Veras, Cishek, Gregg, Street, K-Rod. Perkins, Janssen are longshots.

Street really? I thought the Padres signed him to an extension last season? Would that still make him a likely trade target? Wouldn't Gregerson be more likely traded than Street?
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers