2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby NZ Eff » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:59 am

Rex Brothers converted his fifth save of the season Friday against the Giants.
Rafael Betancourt was activated from the disabled list Friday, but apparently Rockies manager Walt Weiss wants to ease him back into the ninth inning. While Brothers notched the save, his 32-outing scoreless streak came to an end on a solo homer by Buster Posey. Still, he has a ridiculous 0.52 ERA and 37/17 K/BB ratio in 34 1/3 innings this season.

The above from Rotoworld.

Rex Brothers did not get a save Friday. He came into the 9th in a non save situation. Rotoworld has really gone down hill this season with their player comments. So many inacurracies and very ordinary fantasy advice at times Not sure who is supplying their info but I notice that Yahoo are sourcing their comments.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:56 am

NZ Eff wrote:Rex Brothers converted his fifth save of the season Friday against the Giants.
Rafael Betancourt was activated from the disabled list Friday, but apparently Rockies manager Walt Weiss wants to ease him back into the ninth inning. While Brothers notched the save, his 32-outing scoreless streak came to an end on a solo homer by Buster Posey. Still, he has a ridiculous 0.52 ERA and 37/17 K/BB ratio in 34 1/3 innings this season.

The above from Rotoworld.

Rex Brothers did not get a save Friday. He came into the 9th in a non save situation. Rotoworld has really gone down hill this season with their player comments. So many inacurracies and very ordinary fantasy advice at times Not sure who is supplying their info but I notice that Yahoo are sourcing their comments.

Had the same thought this morning when I checked my stat line from last night (I have Brothers).

Speaking of Brothers, any chance he still gets some save opps? Chances Bet gets traded at some point this season and Brothers takes over?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eneric » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:00 am

Ahhh finally I can access this thread!!!!! What do we make of JJ Putz's blown save from last night's game? I'm not convinced he's healthy especially after that talke about "major" elbow surgery after his last DL stint that magically disappeared. And if & when he goes back to the DL what next? Bell again really? How about Hernandez?

I'm stuck trying to battle out who I roster for "future" closers either via injury or trade. Betancourt is back in Colorado & Rex Brothers has certainly stepped in well and proved he's capable if not better. How likely is Betancourt to get traded?

How about Jesse Crain? The more I think about him the more I wonder just who will be willing to trade for him. And further more if Crain is traded who will automatically make him their closer since he's never been a closer?

Lot's of talk about Papelbon being traded too but with that astronomical price tag who can afford him? How likely is a guy with that kind of price tag to be acquired via trade?
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby Quackman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:44 am

eneric wrote:Ahhh finally I can access this thread!!!!! What do we make of JJ Putz's blown save from last night's game? I'm not convinced he's healthy especially after that talke about "major" elbow surgery after his last DL stint that magically disappeared. And if & when he goes back to the DL what next? Bell again really? How about Hernandez?

I'm stuck trying to battle out who I roster for "future" closers either via injury or trade. Betancourt is back in Colorado & Rex Brothers has certainly stepped in well and proved he's capable if not better. How likely is Betancourt to get traded?

How about Jesse Crain? The more I think about him the more I wonder just who will be willing to trade for him. And further more if Crain is traded who will automatically make him their closer since he's never been a closer?

Lot's of talk about Papelbon being traded too but with that astronomical price tag who can afford him? How likely is a guy with that kind of price tag to be acquired via trade?

I think Bell is still the closer for awhile, even with the terrible play. Everyone has just been assuming Putz would get it right back because Bell has been doing so bad but the team never said anything. Im sure they want Putz back at closer but it could be weeks from now.

Crain is all speculation at closer. His numbers are great and he seems to have closer stuff but a team trading for him could just as easily make him a 8th inning guy. Id like to see it happen and hes a cheaper option than some other closers but who knows.

Papelbon is expensive. Cant remember exactly but its like 13mill a year with a big contract. Out of the teams that are in the market, Tigers id say would be the best chance. At least i could see them spending the money if they have to. Still a longshot though, im sure they would look for any cheaper options and there are several much cheaper options right now.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby eneric » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:12 pm

Quackman wrote:
eneric wrote:Ahhh finally I can access this thread!!!!! What do we make of JJ Putz's blown save from last night's game? I'm not convinced he's healthy especially after that talke about "major" elbow surgery after his last DL stint that magically disappeared. And if & when he goes back to the DL what next? Bell again really? How about Hernandez?

I think Bell is still the closer for awhile, even with the terrible play. Everyone has just been assuming Putz would get it right back because Bell has been doing so bad but the team never said anything. Im sure they want Putz back at closer but it could be weeks from now.

Crain is all speculation at closer. His numbers are great and he seems to have closer stuff but a team trading for him could just as easily make him a 8th inning guy. Id like to see it happen and hes a cheaper option than some other closers but who knows.

Papelbon is expensive. Cant remember exactly but its like 13mill a year with a big contract. Out of the teams that are in the market, Tigers id say would be the best chance. At least i could see them spending the money if they have to. Still a longshot though, im sure they would look for any cheaper options and there are several much cheaper options right now.

Thanks Quackman. I just wish Arizona would let Hernandez try closing
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:13 pm

I have picked up Blake Parker in both of my leagues in hopes that Gregg gets shipped out sooner than later. That might be someone you could target, he surely will help with your pitching ratio's while that situation is unresolved.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby garf112 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:12 pm

Quackman wrote:

For whatever reason, Putz has been put right back into the closer's role already. Bell has been used in middle relief exclusively since Putz came back. He came in the 7th inning each time. I do think that Putz will end up getting hurt again and go back on the DL, but as of right now, it loos like he is the closer and Bell is just a middle reliever.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby NZ Eff » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Quackman wrote:

Have you had your head in the sand for the past few days?

Putz HAS gone straight back to the closers role and Bell HAS gone back to a middle relief role. No speculation here at all. It's done.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby daullaz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:29 pm

daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby NZ Eff » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:40 pm

Henderson not pitching in situations that a closer normally would and K-Rod is. Even though Frankie has his 300 career saves and Big Jim is healthy, it looks like K-Rod is still the 9th inning guy.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers