2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby go tribe » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:56 am

wingman3110 wrote:Gregerson was overworked IMO. June 5-12 was a mess. Pitched on back-to-back days on three different occasions and only had two off days during that span.

I know this is subjective....lets look at the Saves leader....Jason Grilli

June; pitched one complete inning each time out....

2 16 pitches
4 25
7 25
12 12
14 21
16 20
18 18
19 10
21 12
23 28

day off between pitches each time, except for 18/19. alot more pitches each outing...seems less efficient than Gregerson. Yesterday he struggled against the Angels but was pretty spotless otherwise.

I looked at Mujica and Mariano too. they both throw more pitches per appearance than Gregorson....and both go back to back....Mujicas second day is shakier....and Mariano is a machine who, in June, had ample rest between outings...that may not be Girardi's plan but happenstance based on the team's performance. Not sure.

I guess you could say Gregorson was pushed harder than the category leaders in terms of frequency of use....but his pitch count is lower....and I am not sure if that means anything considering the effort to get loose, etc.

As a fantasy option, I'd have to think pretty hard. If Bud Black can't be trusted to use him appropriately for MY use, then its tough to have him around. Gregorson's line during Street's DL.....7 appearances, 6.2 innings, 1 win, 2 saves, 8Ks, 5.40 ERA and 1.65 WHIP.. those last two numbers hurt.... I guess we will see...and maybe it requires real diligence on whoever owns him to rest him yourself after he has pitched each time. Any other suggestions on how to use him to your advantage?
go tribe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Pitch count isn't as much an issue as consecutive days, in my opinion. A lot of times a guy throws more pitches in the bullpen than they do once they enter the game. So an 8 pitch outing isn't a whole lot different than a 20 pitch outing. It's more of a binary "did they get to rest, or did they have to pitch" type thing. Grilli's usage seems ideal, with only one back to back in June. While Gregerson has had 6 appearances in June on 0 days rest. There definitely needs to be some work done to find out what kind of effect different work loads have on pitchers, in terms of both injury and effectiveness.

And on this topic, Joe Nathan has pitched 4 days in a row. They have an off-day today at least, so I guess he could be back on the mound in the 9th for their next game.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:27 am

Jose Cisnero could be closing later this season.
who?
by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com
(6/24/13) Depending on how the roster looks after July 31, the Astros will consider Jose Cisnero for the closer's role, if there is an opening, according to the Houston Chronicle. Astros pitching coach Doug Brocail said the front office allows club to experiment, which makes it easier to try out different situations during the season.

I hope he improves by then, because I wouldn't want him closing right now. he hasn't been giving up runs in June, but he has given up 12 hits in 9.2 IP.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 72)

Postby wrveres » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:50 pm

Cubs designated RHP Carlos Marmol for assignment.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby TitsMcGahee » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:33 pm

Anyone pick up Jesse Crain? Would love to see him closing on a contender...
TitsMcGahee
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bozo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:45 pm

I'm sure you've heard the same rumors that I have but I'm still a little doubtful that it will happen. I suppose Boston or Detroit could use a closer but I can't see any other possible landing spot for him in the AL. And in the NL I would think the only possible contenders that may be looking would be the Diamondbacks or possibly the Padres.
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby go tribe » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Bozo wrote:I'm sure you've heard the same rumors that I have but I'm still a little doubtful that it will happen. I suppose Boston or Detroit could use a closer but I can't see any other possible landing spot for him in the AL. And in the NL I would think the only possible contenders that may be looking would be the Diamondbacks or possibly the Padres.

I did pick him up....and the scenario I see is that the Red Sox get him as Crain gives them upside if he closes or sets up. Right now the Sox have designated 38 year old Koji Uehura as their closer, opening up some issues.....
1- This weakens them in the set-up position....where Koji has been performing quite well. Remember the last time the Sox were juggling their closer role....they purposely left Koji in his set up role because he was so successful and put Kazawaa in as closer.
2- There seems to be some concern about using Koji too frequently.

So my pea brain says that Crain gives them upside as a killer closer allowing Koji to go back to his set-up role....and downside protection as the set-up guy for Koji as closer.
go tribe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bozo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:45 pm

I like your thinking and hope you're right since I have him in one of my AL pools.
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Magnus_CA » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:22 am

Does Santos take the closer job back if all goes well with his rehab assignment?
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:51 am

He can't take it back because he never had it in the first place. It's Janssen's job to lose. And by the time Casey is hurt/ineffective, chances are pretty good that Santos will be back on the DL, anyway.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers