I'd have em in that order as well.
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 30)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby jackie hayes » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:05 pm

footballisbetter.com wrote:Anyone care to rank these closers?
Mujica
C Jannsen
K Janson
Frieri

Any stand out as the clear best or worse?

Off the top of my head, I'd go...

Kenley
Mujica
Janssen
Frieri

Mujica over Janssen only because I still worry a bit about Janssen's health. Kenley would be a clear best to me, though.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 274)

Postby NZ Eff » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:15 pm

wingman3110 wrote:Street blows it. Gave up 2 home runs. Is he still secure? Or will SD try someone else...

He is a proven closer who has plenty of leash but he is near done in my opinion. He is fooling no one. Every outing this year is an adventure. I would own any closer including Heath Bell ahead of Street.

I strongly disagree with Georgesen being a stiff. Bud Black worked him to a stand still while Street was on the DL and it came back to bite the Padres. He lost control of his slider due to over use but is well rested now. If you own Street you would have to grab Georgesen also. I wouldn't be surprised if Street is out of the closers job at the AS break.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 91)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:25 pm

Madson could be shut down for the season.
Angels manager Mike Scioscia admitted Sunday that Ryan Madson (elbow) could be shut down for the season.
Madson was hoping to throw a bullpen session this weekend, but remains without a timetable to resume throwing from a mound. "As the calendar turns, it becomes more of a possibility," Scioscia said. "I know Ryan's frustrated. It's definitely frustrating for us, especially since he was virtually ready -- so close."

if Madson is unable to return and done for the season, I think I would rank Frieri top of those names mentioned.

if Jansen is the Dodgers closer for the remainder of the season without any worries from League, I think I would rank his potential 2nd.

I think both of those guys could be considered top tier closers.
maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think I'm willing to consider Mujica a top tier closer.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 512)

Postby NZ Eff » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:11 am

Mujica
C Jannsen
K Janson
Frieri

Kenley Jansen clearly No. 1 for me.
then
Frieri based on K's
Jannsen
Mujica
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZ Eff » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:17 am

Mujica
C Jannsen
K Janson
Frieri

Kenley Jansen clearly No. 1 for me.
then
Frieri based on K's
Jannsen
Mujica
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:42 am

Agreed. Kenley is arguably the #1 overall closer if you ask me. There's a handful of guys like Chapman/Grilli/Kimbrel bunched together and Kenley deserves to be in that group. In any case, there's a huge gap between Kenley and those other 3. The rest all have their own issues. Casey has shoulder problems which so far haven't been affecting him but I still don't like guys with injury concerns. He also doesn't get many Ks compared to the big guys. Mujica gets even less Ks. And Frieri has scary control problems. Even without Madson knocking on the door it seems like Frieri could just lose it at some point. Prior to yesterday he had 7 consecutive appearances without allowing a hit or walk so obviously he can be dominant at times, but he's still pretty volatile.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 526)

Postby go tribe » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:18 am

NZ Eff wrote: I strongly disagree with Georgesen being a stiff. Bud Black worked him to a stand still while Street was on the DL and it came back to bite the Padres. He lost control of his slider due to over use but is well rested now. If you own Street you would have to grab Georgesen also. I wouldn't be surprised if Street is out of the closers job at the AS break.

I bought in to him when Street went down....so I'm truthfully surprised and disappointed at his performance. I don't know that Bud Black worked him to a "stand still"...I'd say he got more use than usual and on one occassion a heavy 2.0 inning 24 pitch load where he delivered....then got a day off.

Houston Street went on the DL on June 1st. in June....here are the dates and innings he has logged..... You will note than only one time did he go more than one inning. Only three times did he even pitch on back to back days....once with two days off afterwards and the other two with one day of rest. Then returned to a 20 pitch inning and a very poor 2 out effort over 24 pitches on the ninth. I would question his ability to be the every day closer if he can't handle that 6th, 8th and 9th workload.

1st / 1.0 inning,
2 1.0,
5 1.0,
6 2.0, 24 pitches
8 1.0 20 pitches
9 .2 24 pitches
11 .1
12 .2
17 1.0 8 pitches
19 0.0 6 pitches
20 .1

I would also question whether his being "rested" is the key to control of his slider. He'd gotted four days off beginning with the 13th, had a tidy 8 pitch inning on the 17th....another day off and In his next to last effort, June 19th...threw six pitches, surrendered 4 hits and 2 runs, losing the game against the Giants.

In looking at the facts, I would have to question his ability to take over the role every day.
go tribe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wingman3110 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:30 am

Gregerson was overworked IMO. June 5-12 was a mess. Pitched on back-to-back days on three different occasions and only had two off days during that span.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 336)

Postby go tribe » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:55 am

wingman3110 wrote:Gregerson was overworked IMO. June 5-12 was a mess. Pitched on back-to-back days on three different occasions and only had two off days during that span.

I know this is subjective....lets look at the Saves leader....Jason Grilli

June; pitched one complete inning each time out....

2 16 pitches
4 25
7 25
12 12
14 21
16 20
18 18
19 10
21 12
23 28

day off between pitches each time, except for 18/19. alot more pitches each outing...seems less efficient than Gregerson. Yesterday he struggled against the Angels but was pretty spotless otherwise.

I looked at Mujica and Mariano too. they both throw more pitches per appearance than Gregorson....and both go back to back....Mujicas second day is shakier....and Mariano is a machine who, in June, had ample rest between outings...that may not be Girardi's plan but happenstance based on the team's performance. Not sure.

I guess you could say Gregorson was pushed harder than the category leaders in terms of frequency of use....but his pitch count is lower....and I am not sure if that means anything considering the effort to get loose, etc.

As a fantasy option, I'd have to think pretty hard. If Bud Black can't be trusted to use him appropriately for MY use, then its tough to have him around. Gregorson's line during Street's DL.....7 appearances, 6.2 innings, 1 win, 2 saves, 8Ks, 5.40 ERA and 1.65 WHIP.. those last two numbers hurt.... I guess we will see...and maybe it requires real diligence on whoever owns him to rest him yourself after he has pitched each time. Any other suggestions on how to use him to your advantage?
go tribe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers