100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:24 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:
jackie hayes wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:I want to ask a question, but at this point I can't help but feel like everyone right now will agree on only one outcome.
does he catch on with another team, and what are the chances he can again be a closer somewhere? while I have to imagine he will not be closing for a contender, but I still think he could be a closer, even on a bad team.

Why would a bad team want him closing? He's not going to be part of the future, and it's too close to the deadline for him to establish himself as a useful trade chip.

personally I don't think Valverde has been so bad for long enough to be just sent packing, but that's just my opinion and I don't think it's going to change. but it's not worth arguing over.

I would assume that Benoit is going to be taking over right now in Detroit. but then I also can't help think about how in spring training Leyland didn't want Benoit going back to back days. but I think for right now there probably isn't anyone else worth considering. that is until maybe they can make a trade. but who would be a trade target? Papelbon? Jesse Crain as previously mentioned?

Bruce Rondon has 14 SV in AAA and an A+ K/9 (12.83) in 26.1 IP. His BB/9 is a scary 4.05, but he does have a 1.01 ERA and 1.93 FIP. He hasn't been mentioned, but he was the pre-season favorite to close games and could potentially be in the discussion again at some point I would think. Just worth keeping in the back of your mind. Here's what Leyland had to say at the end of May...

Rotoworld wrote:Tigers manager Jim Leyland indicated Tuesday that he would prefer Bruce Rondon to stay in the minors for now.
Rondon has an 0.82 ERA and 12/5 K/BB ratio over 11 innings since his demotion earlier this month, but Leyland wants to see more sustained success. "He's doing a good job, but that's the idea," said Leyland. "Don't get excited when they do a good job for three weeks or a month. Let him keep pitching." The hard-throwing right-hander should get another chance in the Tigers' bullpen later this summer.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Rondon's numbers are sick. he could potentially come up and be dominating. but I also think as a rookie with only a handful of innings in the majors he could come up and struggle. I don't think Detroit should want to gamble.

if I had to guess what happens, I would guess that the Tigers make a trade for someone new to close. but that could be a big list of anyone.
if I remember even Luke Gregerson was a target of the Tigers in spring training.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 70)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:30 pm

Evan Drellich ‏@EvanDrellich 4m

Koji Uehara said John Farrell told him he would close for Red Sox
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:42 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:Evan Drellich ‏@EvanDrellich 4m

Crap... Now to undo all my transactions from yesterday.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby AHF » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:43 pm

Glad I snagged both of them!

Any word on what is going in Seattle? It seems like radio silence since Perez and Medlin grabbed saves.
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:58 pm

AHF wrote:

Glad I snagged both of them!

Any word on what is going in Seattle? It seems like radio silence since Perez and Medlin grabbed saves.

I'd bet on Perez, especially after last night. Medina loaded the bases after Capps was pulled and walked the go ahead run in the 8th. Ollie P came in with the bases loaded to face Hamilton and struck him out, but that isn't very difficult these days.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby footballisbetter.com » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:56 pm

Would anyone drop Wilhemsen for Koji in a 10 teamer?
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:06 pm

footballisbetter.com wrote:Would anyone drop Wilhemsen for Koji in a 10 teamer?

Yup. Bartender has no value if not closing. Uehara much bigger upside.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:12 am

I think it depends on Bailey. if Uehara is filling in for Bailey until he gets it right, and Wilhwhatever can get himself right, then it might not be long until Bailey and Wilhwhaver are closing again.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 70)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:31 am

Cespedes just took Bartender deep. 2 run shot.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers