100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby Bwanna » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:06 am

If the mods were more aggressive would that help? What about:

1) forking a new thread so the conversation can continue for those who care
2) deleting subsequent posts that should be in the forked thread or if the mods have the time and energy, moving the posts to that thread (I think this board handles that)

If this happens consistently, then the guys that want to beat a dead horse might take the initiative and fork their own new threads. Or mods could just start deleting posts, that would be OK with me too.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:17 am

Bwanna wrote:If the mods were more aggressive would that help? What about:

1) forking a new thread so the conversation can continue for those who care
2) deleting subsequent posts that should be in the forked thread or if the mods have the time and energy, moving the posts to that thread (I think this board handles that)

If this happens consistently, then the guys that want to beat a dead horse might take the initiative and fork their own new threads. Or mods could just start deleting posts, that would be OK with me too.

I remember we had something like that last season when I was arguing/discussing Downs and Frieri in LA. there was a separate thread created, but it didn't last long before it was closed for some reason.

bigh0rt wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:I didn't sign up with a new account. I've never been banned, or even been warned this season.
honestly right now I don't even think I've done anything to even warrant a warning. is this not where we discuss closers? I swear the title is closers thread. that's all I have been doing.
I've supplied multiple information to this thread, including multiple updates/information on Valverde, who despite what people thought, until recently was still the closer for Detroit. I haven't seen any official word on whether he has been completely removed. last I read on twitter was Leyland would mix and match.
I think right now Valverde is in a slump, and that he could get his job back. he used to be great, and in recent seasons (12/13) he has been only good enough.
I was simply saying/showing how early THIS season he was pitching well. people were saying the old Valverde was back.

FNK, I like you, you're a nice guy, but you do this every season, on one or two topics. You may not see what you're doing as being negatively impactful for the forum, but it is. You pick two or three issues or players or ideas, and just hammer them incessantly and annoyingly much, that it drives people away. It's irritating to come into a thread where we're trying to get helpful information about closers, to see you posting, yawn, again, about Jose Valverde. You've got to have the last word. wrveres said it -- you had a little spat that occupied a lot of the last 10 pages of this thread; a thread thousands of people are reading trying to use as a resource. And it's one of our very greatest resources, and I'm stuck reading nonsense about Jose Valverde in a conversation that should've lasted about 4 total posts. I don't want to see a post every time he takes a piss, or strikes out a batter. There's productive conversation, and then there's just conversation. We need more of the former, and less of the latter, and I could be wrong, but it feels like every year there's more than once instance where this happens and you're campaigning on one side of it, right or wrong. It's bad for the forums. That's my final word on it, as we need to get the hell back to actual closer discussion; not just any closer discussion, but productive closer discussion.

I can understand that.
I felt like I was arguing for Valverde and that could help those who were reading. few days ago his drops were one of the highest on yahoo, and I felt like that was crazy. I felt like if someone was dropping him, they could end up regretting it.
for now I will try and bite my tongue and not comment on Valverde anymore.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:44 am

SpecialFNK wrote:
I remember we had something like that last season when I was arguing/discussing Downs and Frieri in LA. there was a separate thread created, but it didn't last long before it was closed for some reason.

At my suggestion that is what occurred and all that accomplished was to move the ugliness into a new thread, not gonna happen again. Sometimes we just have to agree that we disagree and leave it at that.

SpecialFNK wrote: I will try and bite my tongue and not comment on Valverde anymore.

We like comments just don't badger the witness.

/
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:58 am

objection!
I'm out of order?, you're out of order!
I want the truth.. you can't handle the truth!
oops got carried away. :-D :-] ;-D :*)

in closer news, JJ Putz could be back soon in Arizona.
J.J. Putz (elbow) will begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Reno on Thursday.
He'll remain with Reno through next Tuesday, as the D'Backs want him to appear in back-to-back games before being activated. Heath Bell has been scored upon in each of his last three outings and seems likely to cede the closer job back to Putz.

earlier in the season when he got injured it was thought he would need major surgery and be out a while.

Heath Bell hasn't been very good.
Heath Bell gave up a homer in a fourth straight appearance Wednesday, yet he still picked up his 13th save against the Marlins.
The homer by Justin Ruggiano only brought the Marlins to within 3-1. Bell, however, did allow a hit and a walk afterwards as part of a 31-pitch ninth inning. Fortunately for him, the Diamondbacks now have Thursday off, giving him a chance to recover. Bell, though, is leaving the door wide open for J.J. Putz to reclaim closing duties should Putz's rehab progress as hoped.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:15 pm

for what it's worth..

The Detroit Free Press wouldn't be shocked if Jesse Crain is closing games against the White Sox when the teams meet in Detroit before the All-Star break. There’s no evidence the Tigers are pursuing Crain and colleague Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune reported the Rangers and Dodgers had scouts watching Crain in Houston last weekend, but he’s a perfect fit for the Tigers bullpen.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby datelin3 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:12 pm

footballisbetter.com wrote:for what it's worth..

The Detroit Free Press wouldn't be shocked if Jesse Crain is closing games against the White Sox when the teams meet in Detroit before the All-Star break. There’s no evidence the Tigers are pursuing Crain and colleague Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune reported the Rangers and Dodgers had scouts watching Crain in Houston last weekend, but he’s a perfect fit for the Tigers bullpen.

VERY interesting .. Will certainly keep my eye on Crain to the Tigers..

I'm not sure if it is because of Twitter and how fast and widely available information gets spread these days .. but I feel that this forum hasn't been as proactive and ahead of the closer moves as much as it used to be .. I'm forever grateful to the member who gave us the head's up to keep an eye on Andrew Bailey in 2009 .. weeks before he took over the Oakland job and gave me 25 saves and amazing numbers

Reminisce aside .. How has Henderson looked since he got back from the DL? .. K-Rod has been made available in my league and I thought about making a cheap offer .. Any chance he keeps the job or does Henderson have to implode?

Lastly, from MLBtraderumors.com:

•The market for closers could focus on Glen Perkins and Steve Cishek if Jonathan Papelbon and Rafael Betancourt are unavailable, tweets MLB Network analyst Peter Gammons. Teams like the Tigers and Red Sox are potentially on the hunt for late-inning help, but Gammons says to expect a high price on Perkins and Cishek.

who are the handcuffs here? Burton and ?
datelin3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 14)

Postby go tribe » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi. I am a fantasy rookie and DEAD LAST in saves and still in fourth place overall, just 15 or so pts off the lead in a 12 team 5X5.

My only long term closer is balfour....and rex brothers once Raffie went down....and last night picked up Seattle's Medina on advice from this thread (I am pretty sure) becuase what's his name is floundering and the pickins' elsewhere on the roster (Ollie Perez? God help them) are so lean.

Still feel pretty stuck here despite working the injury front pretty hard, thanks in good part to the info I read here...(although nothing is guaranteed, i.e. Gregerson really stunk and hurt my whip and ERA...maybe yours too!). As a rookie, I have never been around the trading side of this at the deadline. How do you smartly play the market as we get closer to deals being struck? I've seen some mention here of Papelbon, Betancourt, Chisek and Crain being looked at by Detroit, Boston and LA.

What is the play with this stuff as trades come down?

Thanks!
go tribe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby footballisbetter.com » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:27 pm

More Detroit soap opera

Joaquin Benoit will close tonight if the Tigers need a closer. Looks like Jose Valverde's days as the closer are in jeopardy.

If Jim Leyland wanted Joaquin Benoit to be the Tigers' closer he already would be. Odds are the Tigers' next closer isn't on the roster yet. Until a trade happens Valverde is relatively safe.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

Postby footballisbetter.com » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:21 pm

Andrew Bailey blows another one. Something has to be brewing in Boston.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bluejkrew » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:23 pm

Per rotoworld: "Red Sox manager John Farrell said Andrew Bailey is no longer the team's closer."

Who's next in line? Uehera or Tazawa or someone else?

EDIT: Rotoworld says Tazawa likely next.
bluejkrew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers