100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:15 pm

Valverde lit up.
8-o not shocking I guess.
4 ER, in a game where Baltimore was already leading 9-3. not where I would want to try and get him some confidence back.

I think the Tigers should say he is injured and put him on the DL.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:40 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:Valverde lit up.
4 ER, in a game where Baltimore was already leading 9-3. not where I would want to try and get him some confidence back.

OR the Tigers could claim he fractured his leg and had to euthanize him after that poor outing.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:31 pm

CM52 wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:Valverde lit up.

You just said you want him in lower leverage situations. So it has to be low, but not too low? Picky.

you can pick and choose where to use him. it's not favourable against a team like Baltimore in a game where they already scored 9. not only that but you feed him to the wolves by pitching him against the best hitters in their lineup starting with Machado. holy shit, even a pitcher pitching well could have trouble there. I don't think this would be the case, but maybe Leyland is saying F you Valverde, here have fun against some great hitters you bum! almost as if Leyland is purposely wanting Valverde to get hammered. I can't imagine a manager wanting that for his player, but I would also think a manager should know not to put his struggling reliever into that position.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:41 pm

CM52 wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:
CM52 wrote:
You just said you want him in lower leverage situations. So it has to be low, but not too low? Picky.

you can pick and choose where to use him. it's not favourable against a team like Baltimore in a game where they already scored 9. not only that but you feed him to the wolves by pitching him against the best hitters in their lineup starting with Machado. holy shit, even a pitcher pitching well could have trouble there. I don't think this would be the case, but maybe Leyland is saying F you Valverde, here have fun against some great hitters you bum! almost as if Leyland is purposely wanting Valverde to get hammered. I can't imagine a manager wanting that for his player, but I would also think a manager should know not to put his struggling reliever into that position.

So send him back to the minors if you don't want him facing good hitters. In all honesty, garbage time like that is when you should be using your worst relievers, so good for Leyland for actually doing something right for a change.

we obviously disagree on who is one of their worst relievers. they should be getting Valverde's confidence back so they can get him right and back into the closers role where IMO he belongs. his velocity and stuff was good earlier in the season, so it's not like he's been terrible all season.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:02 am

early in the season when he first came up he was throwing the ball well, and it wasn't just luck. I remember multiple "experts" on twitter commenting about it, and some even being surprised. rotoworld even made a comment about it.
Jose Valverde tossed a perfect ninth inning Saturday for his second save.
Valverde struck out two and threw 12 out of 14 pitches for strikes. He topped out at 95 mph with his fastball and even mixed in a couple of splitters this time. While the decision to bring him back in the closer role caught many by surprise, he should be owned in all fantasy leagues right now.
Apr 27 - 4:20 PM

I absolutely believe confidence is an issue for many baseball players, whether they are inexperienced or veterans. like a batter in a slump for example. they're not robots. I believe many players offensive and pitchers allow things to get into their heads and effect how they think and what they would do.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby wrveres » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:53 am

yawn.

this bayside/fnk dispute is getting old. its been going on for over 10 pages.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 732)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:59 am

wrveres wrote:yawn.

He's gonna have to find another IP - ban hammered,,,,,,,,, fnk you're on a slippery slope.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1360)

Postby wrveres » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:03 am

ayebatter wrote:
wrveres wrote:yawn.

He's gonna have to find another IP - ban hammered,,,,,,,,, fnk you're on a slippery slope.
he could be the dumbest guy ever. he signed up for a new account, and picked up his fight right where he left off.

"its not me, i swear" :-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 732)

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:42 am

I didn't sign up with a new account. I've never been banned, or even been warned this season.
honestly right now I don't even think I've done anything to even warrant a warning. is this not where we discuss closers? I swear the title is closers thread. that's all I have been doing.
I've supplied multiple information to this thread, including multiple updates/information on Valverde, who despite what people thought, until recently was still the closer for Detroit. I haven't seen any official word on whether he has been completely removed. last I read on twitter was Leyland would mix and match.
I think right now Valverde is in a slump, and that he could get his job back. he used to be great, and in recent seasons (12/13) he has been only good enough.
I was simply saying/showing how early THIS season he was pitching well. people were saying the old Valverde was back.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:58 am

SpecialFNK wrote:I didn't sign up with a new account. I've never been banned, or even been warned this season.
honestly right now I don't even think I've done anything to even warrant a warning. is this not where we discuss closers? I swear the title is closers thread. that's all I have been doing.
I've supplied multiple information to this thread, including multiple updates/information on Valverde, who despite what people thought, until recently was still the closer for Detroit. I haven't seen any official word on whether he has been completely removed. last I read on twitter was Leyland would mix and match.
I think right now Valverde is in a slump, and that he could get his job back. he used to be great, and in recent seasons (12/13) he has been only good enough.
I was simply saying/showing how early THIS season he was pitching well. people were saying the old Valverde was back.

FNK, I like you, you're a nice guy, but you do this every season, on one or two topics. You may not see what you're doing as being negatively impactful for the forum, but it is. You pick two or three issues or players or ideas, and just hammer them incessantly and annoyingly much, that it drives people away. It's irritating to come into a thread where we're trying to get helpful information about closers, to see you posting, yawn, again, about Jose Valverde. You've got to have the last word. wrveres said it -- you had a little spat that occupied a lot of the last 10 pages of this thread; a thread thousands of people are reading trying to use as a resource. And it's one of our very greatest resources, and I'm stuck reading nonsense about Jose Valverde in a conversation that should've lasted about 4 total posts. I don't want to see a post every time he takes a piss, or strikes out a batter. There's productive conversation, and then there's just conversation. We need more of the former, and less of the latter, and I could be wrong, but it feels like every year there's more than once instance where this happens and you're campaigning on one side of it, right or wrong. It's bad for the forums. That's my final word on it, as we need to get the hell back to actual closer discussion; not just any closer discussion, but productive closer discussion.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers