Kris Medlen- how much of his value is RP? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kris Medlen- how much of his value is RP?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kris Medlen- how much of his value is RP?

Postby mkultra » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:28 pm

I pretty consistently see Kris Medlen ranked in the Top 25 SP's, if not Top 20. How much of that is coming from his RP eligibility? He showed amazing stuff in the 2nd half of 2012, but we don't have much more than that to go on.

Is his skill set alone worthy of a #2 spot in your rotation, or is it inflated because he's also eligible at RP?
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kris Medlen- how much of his value is RP?

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:32 pm

I would assume his ranking has almost nothing to do with RP eligibility, as most people here don't play in leagues where that matters. I could be wrong about that, but I assume most of the value is coming from his amazing stretch of a dozen or so games at the end of last season against extremely weak competition with expanded (AKA watered down) rosters.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 131)

Postby fsbarren » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:07 pm

Agreed with the prior post.

Best summary I've seen: "If you're the type willing to gamble on a limited track record, you won't want to let him slip too far beyond the top 15 starting pitchers" (I'd say top 20 -25 though)

That being said, his solid walk rate and pretty good secondary pitches suggest he could be a nice #2/#3 SP for your team, but he's definitely no slam dunk at this point.
fsbarren
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 192)

Postby Izenhart » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:51 pm

fsbarren wrote:Agreed with the prior post.

Best summary I've seen: "If you're the type willing to gamble on a limited track record, you won't want to let him slip too far beyond the top 15 starting pitchers" (I'd say top 20 -25 though)

That being said, his solid walk rate and pretty good secondary pitches suggest he could be a nice #2/#3 SP for your team, but he's definitely no slam dunk at this point.

I'm a bit gunshy when drafting unproven pitchers with mediocre fantasy K rates. If he were a K per inning guy I'd probably be targeting him, but I'm playing the wait and see game on him and don't plan to have Medlen on any teams this year. (based on his auction val and ADP) I'd rather take a guy like Morrow or even Fister for now.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby Element » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:28 pm

I have Medlen just outside of my top 20 (21st actually) and it has absolutely nothing to do with his RP eligibility.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 757)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:58 am

In my experience, SP eligibility in a quality reliever adds more value than does RP eligibility in a starter.
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:12 am

I am playing in 4 leagues. In 2 of them this doesn't help him at all. In the H2H league with 3 RP slots and weekly rosters it does help quite a bit. In the 4th league it might help a tiny bit. It just depends on your league setup. As for Medlen's value in general, this is just typical rabid upside seekers driving a players value way over where it should be. You have a 15% chance that he is worth this draft slot and then most of the time he is a bust.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby dannahann » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 am

Ender wrote:I am playing in 4 leagues. In 2 of them this doesn't help him at all. In the H2H league with 3 RP slots and weekly rosters it does help quite a bit. In the 4th league it might help a tiny bit. It just depends on your league setup. As for Medlen's value in general, this is just typical rabid upside seekers driving a players value way over where it should be. You have a 15% chance that he is worth this draft slot and then most of the time he is a bust.

Nailed it, I just took a look at mock draft central WOW?!? Medlen is currently being drafted as SP #13. Pitchers going immediately AFTER Medlen are Gio (6 picks later), Greinke (10 pks), Dickey (11) Sale (13) Doc (15) CC (20) Scherzer (24) Cueto (30) Zimmermann (35) Gallardo (40). I think I'd take all those guys before Medlen. That and there are high upside guys like Moore Aroldis Latos Samadzija going 5 to 7 rounds after Medlen if you feel the need to chase upside.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby HighHeater » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:31 am

dannahann wrote:
Ender wrote:I am playing in 4 leagues. In 2 of them this doesn't help him at all. In the H2H league with 3 RP slots and weekly rosters it does help quite a bit. In the 4th league it might help a tiny bit. It just depends on your league setup. As for Medlen's value in general, this is just typical rabid upside seekers driving a players value way over where it should be. You have a 15% chance that he is worth this draft slot and then most of the time he is a bust.

Nailed it, I just took a look at mock draft central WOW?!? Medlen is currently being drafted as SP #13. Pitchers going immediately AFTER Medlen are Gio (6 picks later), Greinke (10 pks), Dickey (11) Sale (13) Doc (15) CC (20) Scherzer (24) Cueto (30) Zimmermann (35) Gallardo (40). I think I'd take all those guys before Medlen. That and there are high upside guys like Moore Aroldis Latos Samadzija going 5 to 7 rounds after Medlen if you feel the need to chase upside.

Ill definetely take Latos and Moore over Medlen myself, every time up. Id need to see how Chapman transitions to starting before I cast judgement there.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:09 pm

AKhomebrewer wrote:In my experience, SP eligibility in a quality reliever adds more value than does RP eligibility in a starter.

This. Its a large part of my innings mgmt strategy when I want to maximize my ratios.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers