Lack of Prospects in Yahoo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lack of Prospects in Yahoo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Lack of Prospects in Yahoo

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:32 pm

converge241 wrote:One thing to note, I only came up with that for me drafting taveras and street, and then implementing it in leagues I run, based on a drafted player. AKA no placeholder to pick up a guy, let that go to the whims of waivers etc.

IMO you can draft anyone and can work around system limitations but pre-picking up folks period after the draft or reserving? Not so much

Just IMHO of course but I like to have that distinction in the weight of a draft pick investment.

When you have a league like mine (Keep 15, 10 round draft), and you have guys who have all these extra picks at the top from last season, it is tough to just say to them "Sorry, but you're screwed." That is why we need a year advance on what will happen with prospects. Now, we may be locked into using replacement players every draft just so our picks have the highest value possible. When you start throwing guys like Lindor, Starling, etc in there for 1-2 seasons and then don't, it is jarring.

Keeping 15 guys in a 14-team league, that is 210 players being kept. There are always a few veterans that will help, but it is mostly about new prospects in the early part of the draft.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:09 pm

Arrowhead Nation wrote:
converge241 wrote:One thing to note, I only came up with that for me drafting taveras and street, and then implementing it in leagues I run, based on a drafted player. AKA no placeholder to pick up a guy, let that go to the whims of waivers etc.

IMO you can draft anyone and can work around system limitations but pre-picking up folks period after the draft or reserving? Not so much

Just IMHO of course but I like to have that distinction in the weight of a draft pick investment.

When you have a league like mine (Keep 15, 10 round draft), and you have guys who have all these extra picks at the top from last season, it is tough to just say to them "Sorry, but you're screwed." That is why we need a year advance on what will happen with prospects. Now, we may be locked into using replacement players every draft just so our picks have the highest value possible. When you start throwing guys like Lindor, Starling, etc in there for 1-2 seasons and then don't, it is jarring.

Keeping 15 guys in a 14-team league, that is 210 players being kept. There are always a few veterans that will help, but it is mostly about new prospects in the early part of the draft.

Dude, just wait to start your draft. They are usaully posted before March 1st.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby Montana168 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:31 am

Prospects added today: Taijuan Walker, Christian Yelich, Jose Fernandez, Xander Bogaerts, and Mike Zunino. Hopefully more to come. ;-D
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tornon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Montana168 wrote:Prospects added today: Taijuan Walker, Christian Yelich, Jose Fernandez, Xander Bogaerts, and Mike Zunino. Hopefully more to come. ;-D

This is excellent news!
Tornon
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:14 pm

Tornon wrote:
Montana168 wrote:Prospects added today: Taijuan Walker, Christian Yelich, Jose Fernandez, Xander Bogaerts, and Mike Zunino. Hopefully more to come. ;-D

This is excellent news!

I'm surprised that Tavares wasn't added because there is thought that he could break camp as a starter if all goes well.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Montana168 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:28 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Tornon wrote:

This is excellent news!

I'm surprised that Tavares wasn't added because there is thought that he could break camp as a starter if all goes well.

I agree. However, I'm guessing/hoping that these new prospects adds are just the tip of the iceberg. Specifically last year I remember there was 2 large batches of prospect adds after Yahoo opened (don't remember the dates though) of around 15 players both times. Hoping we see something similar this year.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:20 pm

Montana168 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
Tornon wrote:
This is excellent news!

I agree. However, I'm guessing/hoping that these new prospects adds are just the tip of the iceberg. Specifically last year I remember there was 2 large batches of prospect adds after Yahoo opened (don't remember the dates though) of around 15 players both times. Hoping we see something similar this year.

That sounds about right though since I think they added so many prospects last year that there will likely be less added this and mainly those with a chance to make their debut in 2013 like Tavares.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby dsd10988 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:00 am

Taveras to be added either today or tomorrow - http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/9297
dsd10988
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Yep Taveras is indeed listed as of this morning. It's slowly happening. Come Tuesday when Baseball America Top 100 is released, I'd like to see all of the Top 50 in the player pool.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby higherpie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:45 am

Yahoo added a batch of prospects this morning:

Oswaldo Arcia
Yasiel Puig
Jake Marisnick
George Springer
Jackie Bradley
Matt Davidson
Austin Hedges
Kyle Zimmer
Kevin Gausman
Matt Barnes
Alex Meyer
James Paxton
Zach Lee
Michael Wacha
Cody Buckel
Jarred Cosart
Ethan Martin
Last edited by higherpie on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
higherpie
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers