Lack of Prospects in Yahoo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lack of Prospects in Yahoo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Lack of Prospects in Yahoo

Postby posty » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Maybe it is time to find another provider...
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daullaz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I'm not saying you can't be unhappy. I'm just saying that if I tell people what is going on, and then they say, "I wish I knew what was going on", I'm not sure how else to help.

Prospects will be added. I can't say which, or whether the guy any of you particularly want will be one of them.

I think this calls for about 1,000 "WHEN WILL TEH YAHOO ADD THE PROSSPECTS" threads!
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 129)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I'm not saying you can't be unhappy. I'm just saying that if I tell people what is going on, and then they say, "I wish I knew what was going on", I'm not sure how else to help.

Prospects will be added. I can't say which, or whether the guy any of you particularly want will be one of them.

I get that, but it does seem kind of insane from our end. Once Yahoo opens its doors for 2013 baseball, that's tacitly saying, "OK, guys, do your thing!" Some more involved leagues have FA drafts, prospect drafts, contract signing periods, all contingent on the player database. One of my leagues was going to start our minors draft today until we noticed the lack of prospects. How is it possible that Yahoo opened its doors with an incomplete database AND no timetable on when prospects would be added AND no ability to generate such a timetable?

At some point, at least, will there be some obvious notification that this is the "final database" for the year? As in, no more players will be added (unless they are called up to an MLB team and are not in the database already).

Basically, none of my leagues can start drafting until we're sure that Oscar Tavaras isn't going to randomly pop into the player pool mid-draft, or Wil Myers magically lose C eligibility. (I'm not saying he SHOULD have it, as he hasn't caught an actual baseball game since hi-A in 2010, but if he has it now and we start drafting, taking it away at some arbitrary point isn't fair)
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:15 pm

From Yahoo league front-page...

"Wil Myers will no longer have Catcher position eligibility."
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 119)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:16 pm

Havok1517 wrote:From Yahoo league front-page...

"Wil Myers will no longer have Catcher position eligibility."

Description
Learn why Wil Myers will have his catcher eligibility removed in Fantasy Baseball.

Resolution
Wil Myers will have catcher position eligibility removed in the Fantasy Baseball game.
Myers was inadvertently given both catcher and outfield position eligibility to begin the season, despite the fact he has not played at catcher since the 2010 season.
Yahoo! Sports determined that rather than allow Myers to be eligible at a position he no longer played, we would have this position removed early enough in the season that it would impact the fewest number of Fantasy Baseball players, while still allowing owners to make roster adjustments in plenty of time before the MLB season began.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 119)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:20 pm

posty wrote:Maybe it is time to find another provider...

I moved to ESPN last year and am very happy with it.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:57 am

daullaz wrote:

I think this calls for about 1,000 "WHEN WILL TEH YAHOO ADD THE PROSSPECTS" threads!

I know write? I've been serching for this epic catcher called Will Meyers, and Teh Yahoo STILL haven't added him!
ANd why isn't Stat Trackers working yet? OMG YOLO
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby converge241 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:20 am

Remember all WORST case if someone drafts a guy not added, use a designated ghost placeholder a player who has no chance of contributing and then swap out once they get added.

Many times even in super deep player pools (like CBS tends to be large) they sometimes have brain farts..ie last yera CBS had some issue with cespedes which was odd considering what a big new name he was. Our CBS league just used a ghost player and they added him soon after the draft.

Again its not ideal but it works, I came up with the trick for one of my leagues way back in 05? 06? For Huston Street and Willy tavaeras since they were well regarded but not in the player pool
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 102)

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:26 am

converge241 wrote:Remember all WORST case if someone drafts a guy not added, use a designated ghost placeholder a player who has no chance of contributing and then swap out once they get added.

Many times even in super deep player pools (like CBS tends to be large) they sometimes have brain farts..ie last yera CBS had some issue with cespedes which was odd considering what a big new name he was. Our CBS league just used a ghost player and they added him soon after the draft.

Again its not ideal but it works, I came up with the trick for one of my leagues way back in 05? 06? For Huston Street and Willy tavaeras since they were well regarded but not in the player pool

That is what I am doing as commish in my league. I am waiting until 2/19, when Baseball America releases its' Top 100. I will come up with placeholder players for any prospect listed in BA's Top 50 who is not in Yahoo (or whoever Yahoo has running it) player pool. It is a massive headache...and one that was not foreseen at all. But I guess the other option is to fork over $100+ for CBS. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby converge241 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:26 pm

One thing to note, I only came up with that for me drafting taveras and street, and then implementing it in leagues I run, based on a drafted player. AKA no placeholder to pick up a guy, let that go to the whims of waivers etc.

IMO you can draft anyone and can work around system limitations but pre-picking up folks period after the draft or reserving? Not so much

Just IMHO of course but I like to have that distinction in the weight of a draft pick investment.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 102)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers