Switching to Roto from H2H - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Switching to Roto from H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Switching to Roto from H2H

Postby SpartyTigers » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:08 pm

My league is an 8 team ESPN league. Last year we had a H2H points league but this year I want to switch to a roto league. I feel it will be more strategic and encourage trades. How do I convince the other owners that a roto league is the right choice?
Also, we want to have keepers but aren't sure how many to have. I'm thinking one keeper is best to be fair (I had Braun, Trout, Cano, McCutchen, Kemp, Pujols, Verlander, and Hernandez on my team last year). Any suggestions are appreciated.
(BTW it would be a snake draft if we have keepers)
SpartyTigers
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 36)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Switching to Roto from H2H

Postby fsbarren » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:45 pm

I think a little more detail is necessary (roster size in particular). Also, switching formats for some is simply a matter of preference, so the logic behind the move may not be as persuasive other than the fact that some people just may not like roto.

That being said, I'd say two keepers, maybe three, depending on the roster size. I've had some leagues where the keepers have to be one pitcher and one hitter (that definitely may impact some trade strategy) but generally it's any player. It certainly adds a new dimension to the game. Between the format change and keepers, you might lose an owner or two, but that's to be expected.

Finally, you may want to consider increasing the teams to 10 or 12. With roto, that would mean a range in points from 1-12 versus 1-8 points per stats. That opens things up to different strategies a bit.

Just my two cents. Best of luck.
fsbarren
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 192)

Postby oscar15 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:09 pm

We made the opposite switch 4 years ago

ROTO
Pro: Most accurate measure of best to worst teams
Pro: You do not have to worry about having even number of teams
Pro: It is traditional...it is how the game was intended to be played
Pro: Removes luck from the equation.
Con: Fewer teams remain competitive until the end of the season.
Con: Don't get that "me against you" competitive feel of a game.

H2H
Pro: "Feels" more competitive
Pro: More teams are "alive" longer
Con: Luck plays a much bigger role
Con: Best team does not always win.
Con: Difficult to formulate a points system that is balanced

If your league mates cannot be convinced, consider setting up a free ROTO league so they can see how it works.

good luck
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)

Postby SpartyTigers » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:23 pm

Thanks for the replies.
fsbarren: We were considering 1 pitcher 1 batter but we will probably just do 1 total since we have a new owner and are possibly switching formats. As for roster size, I think it's the ESPN default (25 total: 13 batters, 9 pitchers, 3 bench).
oscar15: Thanks for the pros and cons. I posted them to the rest of my league for them to consider.
SpartyTigers
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RotoValue » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Oscar's pros/cons are good. I'd add that our long-time Roto leagues improved keeping owners out of the running for the title involved by creating an anti-trophy, replete with humiliating presentation, for the last place team. Indeed in many years, the competition to avoid last is fiercer than the competition to finish first! Nobody wants the ignominy of winning IT.

I do think Roto is a better format, because it would seem to me than in a weekly H2H format, a lot might depend on which of your starters have 2 starts in a given week. The year-long roto format makes that distinction not matter.
RotoValue
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SpartyTigers » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:34 pm

I'm thinking we might do a H2H roto now. Does anyone have past experiences with this format?
SpartyTigers
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GolbeZ » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:08 am

SpartyTigers wrote:I'm thinking we might do a H2H roto now. Does anyone have past experiences with this format?

I believe ESPN calls it H2H Each Cat rather than H2H Roto but thats the way to go.. in your current setting if you lose 4-5-1 .. you just get a loss .. now you will keep all the wins losses and ties on each category.. a lot better in my opinion..
Keepers
Andrew McCutchen
Carlos Gonzalez
Robinson Cano
David Wright
GolbeZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RotoValue » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:44 pm

I haven't tried the H2H roto format myself, but I would prefer it to having a single "game" each week against a single opponent. This would put more emphasis on having a balanced team, and it would reduce the luck of any specific matchup.

One thing I'd be concerned about, though, especially for baseball is that any H2H format with a weekly deadline has a problem dealing with starting pitching, because sometimes starters go twice in a week, and other times they just pitch once. Sure, you can try to add rules to improve balance (e.g. you might limit a fantasy team to 7 GS per week), but that adds complexity also. Even if a site supported 10 day scoring periods instead of week long ones, there still would be cases where some pitchers might get just one start due to off day(s), and maybe occasionally a team might squeeze in a third start, depending on timing and need.
RotoValue
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GolbeZ » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:25 pm

RotoValue wrote:I haven't tried the H2H roto format myself, but I would prefer it to having a single "game" each week against a single opponent. This would put more emphasis on having a balanced team, and it would reduce the luck of any specific matchup.

One thing I'd be concerned about, though, especially for baseball is that any H2H format with a weekly deadline has a problem dealing with starting pitching, because sometimes starters go twice in a week, and other times they just pitch once. Sure, you can try to add rules to improve balance (e.g. you might limit a fantasy team to 7 GS per week), but that adds complexity also. Even if a site supported 10 day scoring periods instead of week long ones, there still would be cases where some pitchers might get just one start due to off day(s), and maybe occasionally a team might squeeze in a third start, depending on timing and need.

Yes but that happens both ways .. the pitchers that go off Monday and Tuesday for both teams will be 2 start a week pitchers.. and if you are concerned that certain weeks you will go up against an Ace twice.. there will be certain weeks where your ace will have 2 in a week..

Putting a maximum at 7 GS is too low in my opinion .. I guess this depends on your Roster settings and how many SPs you are able to have .. but I have a MINIMUM to 7 GS before WHIP and ERA will count and that will solve going up against an ACE twice because they still need 5 more starts that week
Keepers
Andrew McCutchen
Carlos Gonzalez
Robinson Cano
David Wright
GolbeZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Commissioner's Corner