Auction. tips and stategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auction. tips and stategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Auction. tips and stategy?

Postby Izenhart » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:46 pm

I generally have an idea of who I value above the consensus and target those players. Guys like Justin Upton and Josh Hamilton are two of my early targets that most people don't wanna go over $30 on, but I will. I also have late round targets that I expect to get for a buck or two. Working backwards if I want 10 $1 or $2 guys I can plan spending about $245 of my $260 budget on the first 13 players, and I usually have a general idea of 25ish players that I value higher than most for those spots.

Plan B comes into effect when all of my guys are going for too much and I have to rely on general auction values, at which point I'll probably have more money than most of the league and be in prime position to pluck bargains from the middle tier.

It always helps to have a general understanding of how to manage your cash during the auction so I would hit up some mock sites to practice whatever plan you come up with.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 299)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:16 pm

stevethumb wrote:
Ender wrote:Early players will likely go for more than you expect, this is called inflation.

There always seem to be a ton of bargains in the $10-$20 range.

When you nominate players the first few guys you nominate should probably be guys you don't want. You are just trying to get money out of the league. Later on you want to mix it up some. If you completely fill a position like you get 1B, 3B, CI early you can always keep nominating players from those positions since it eats up cash on players you can't really take.

You CAN NOT do this...How can you nominate a player for a position that you have already filled ?

there is still the Utility spot.
but would it not also be good to continue to nominate players from positions you already have, because since you know you're filled at that position but there are others who are not, they are then going to spend their money, and that leaves them with less for later.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 91)

Postby Element » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:12 pm

Ender wrote:Early players will likely go for more than you expect, this is called inflation.

90% of the time this is true. I have however been in drafts where owners are very tight with their funds in the early going. When this happens you need to recognize it early and pounce. If you sit on your cash then the middle tier players will become more pricey.

Some good advice (Auction basics) in this thread.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 767)

Postby timgair » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:42 pm

Izenhart wrote:
It always helps to have a general understanding of how to manage your cash during the auction so I would hit up some mock sites to practice whatever plan you come up with.

Which mock sites do you visit? Are you talking about just viewing results of completed mocks or actually participating in them.

I've done a few so far on Yahoo and they were awful. In one, an owner blew his entire bankroll to get Braun, Cabrera & Trout. I didn't stick around long in that one because it was so unrealistic.
timgair
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:51 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:
stevethumb wrote:

There always seem to be a ton of bargains in the $10-$20 range.

When you nominate players the first few guys you nominate should probably be guys you don't want. You are just trying to get money out of the league. Later on you want to mix it up some. If you completely fill a position like you get 1B, 3B, CI early you can always keep nominating players from those positions since it eats up cash on players you can't really take.

You CAN NOT do this...How can you nominate a player for a position that you have already filled ?

but would it not also be good to continue to nominate players from positions you already have, because since you know you're filled at that position but there are others who are not, they are then going to spend their money, and that leaves them with less for later.

Unless you have a spot that is open you can't nominate a player that cannot be rostered, for what if no one else bids on the player? It would make the bid null, so it would be poor form to nominate a player that you yourself could not roster.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby sfjb » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:18 pm

Be patient, and monitor scarcity. There is ALWAYS value at the end of the draft.
sfjb
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:35 am

Utility spot and bench spots. If you go all in on a group of positions early though you would rather see others blow their cash on that position and keep your UT clean. The fact you still have that UT means if nobody bites and the bids are way too low you can still sweep in and take the player.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TopChuckie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:17 am

Technically, inflation only occurs in keeper leagues when players are kept for salaries lower than their value, leading to more available money in the draft than value available in the draft, causing players to go for more than they are worth.

What you guys are referring to is simply owners overpaying for studs, or liberal spending early when teams are still flush with budget.

ETA: Also, your league should have a rule that you cannot nominate a player you can't roster yourself. Even with UT or Bench spots, eventually your positions will fill.
TopChuckie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:58 am

MashinSpuds wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:
stevethumb wrote:

Unless you have a spot that is open you can't nominate a player that cannot be rostered, for what if no one else bids on the player? It would make the bid null, so it would be poor form to nominate a player that you yourself could not roster.

the league I'm in has extra starting spot with CI.
if one is already set at 1B, CI, and UT, couldn't you still nominate 1B player and worse case you end up with this 1B on your bench. that's not a terrible thing, you can still make a trade before the season.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 91)

Postby stevethumb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:05 am

SpecialFNK wrote:
MashinSpuds wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:

the league I'm in has extra starting spot with CI.
if one is already set at 1B, CI, and UT, couldn't you still nominate 1B player and worse case you end up with this 1B on your bench. that's not a terrible thing, you can still make a trade before the season.

All leagues are different of course BUT IF all your position spots are filled including UT you can't nominate a player who plays that position..IF you have bench spots then YES you could slide him there...
Our auction just has the 23 player positions that are active w/a secondary snake draft for reserves that takes place after the auction
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers