Auction. tips and stategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auction. tips and stategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction. tips and stategy?

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:38 am

I play in this private non keeper league every year with basically the same people. this year the commissioner decided to change it to an auction league. I have no experience at all, no clue what to do.
I'm looking for some tips and strategy.
the commissioner gave me some ideas on how it works.
he said during the draft people take turns nominating players to bid on, and that you can nominate anyone. he said during the draft you want to nominate players that you don't want, so that others will use their money up early leaving them with less money for later.

can anyone give me some information on what to do during the draft? what tips and stagey is good?
are there any good websites that gives tips and strategy?
are there any good websites that have dollar values for players?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction. tips and stategy?

Postby ayebatter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:52 am

Sent you a PM.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1267)

Postby Quackman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:35 pm

I tier all the positions just like snake drafts but its not totally necessary. I certainly have guys that i target in Auctions. Generally though other teams have the same players targeted so you have to decide if you want to overpay or not. Personally i like to spend big early but also keep a nice chunk of money for round 10+ guys. So its more of a balancing act in auctions. You dont want to pass up on the elite guys but you also dont want to cripple yourself for the rest of the auction. Dont make the mistake of saving your money for the first 40minutes. Once you pass on talent its gone forever. Generally i always go after a top guy early. If you make a mistake and pay too much for Trout, then at least you have Trout.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby jeffmerk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:48 pm

There will be a few bargains at the beginning of the auction and a lot at the end. Keep track of the $ left for the other owners and if, at some point, you find yourself with $20-$30 more than everybody else, buy some players or you'll likely end up eating some cash.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 50)

Postby ayebatter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:55 pm

jeffmerk wrote:There will be a few bargains at the beginning of the auction and a lot at the end. Keep track of the $ left for the other owners and if, at some point, you find yourself with $20-$30 more than everybody else, buy some players or you'll likely end up eating some cash.

I always plan on filling my bench with $1 players weather its 1,8 or more, it generally doesn't work out that way but it lets me spend an extra buck or two on guys I want, and lets face it at least half of your bench is going to change through out the season anyways so why spend the money there.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1267)

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Early players will likely go for more than you expect, this is called inflation.

There always seem to be a ton of bargains in the $10-$20 range.

When you nominate players the first few guys you nominate should probably be guys you don't want. You are just trying to get money out of the league. Later on you want to mix it up some. If you completely fill a position like you get 1B, 3B, CI early you can always keep nominating players from those positions since it eats up cash on players you can't really take.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Ender wrote:Early players will likely go for more than you expect, this is called inflation.

This is key. You can predict dollar values and assume available bargains, but nothing hurts more than realizing that some players just won't go your way. Last year I waited a long time in an NL-only auction and ended up with a mish mash of so-so and risky players. Get the guys you want within reason, and be prepared to throw in some more dollars to compensate for competitive demand. As was mentioned earlier, better to get Trout than to be left with tons of money longing for Trout.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby TheRock » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Above all, you must have reasonably accurate dollar values for your league configuration. Don't just rely on your gut to tell you to bid $22 on Jimmy Rollins when in reality he's only worth $6. Go visit lastplayerpicked. Use these as a baseline only. You can bid a little higher to get the players you want, but keep in mind that you don't win your league by buying players at or above their projected value. You win by buying players at less than what you project them to be worth.

What others have said about over-paying early on is true in most auctions. If this is the case, and you need to have dollar values handy to know for certain that it is the case, then nominate players you don't want. There is often such a bidding frenzy in the early rounds that you could throw out $#%*^ on a stick and two guys would have a bidding war on it. Eventually, there will be a collective "oh crap I'm out of money" moment and the insane bidding stops. You want to be the guy with the most money in your pocket when that happens.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby stevethumb » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:26 pm

[quote="Ender"]Early players will likely go for more than you expect, this is called inflation.

When you nominate players the first few guys you nominate should probably be guys you don't want. You are just trying to get money out of the league. Later on you want to mix it up some. If you completely fill a position like you get 1B, 3B, CI early you can always keep nominating players from those positions since it eats up cash on players you can't really take.

You CAN NOT do this...How can you nominate a player for a position that you have already filled ?
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Izenhart » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:38 pm

stevethumb wrote:
Ender wrote:Early players will likely go for more than you expect, this is called inflation.

You CAN NOT do this...How can you nominate a player for a position that you have already filled ?

bench spots.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers