Draft Discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to 2013 Cafeholics Masters

Draft Discussion

Moderators: kaiser, ironman

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby stevethumb » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:53 am

kaiser wrote:
Rance Mulliniks wrote:A question about our in-season waivers and Yahoo settings - I know we aren't able to draft players who have no MLB experience, even if they're on a roster. Shouldn't that be the same for claiming someone on waivers? If so, our Yahoo settings for "New Players Become Available" should be "Wait until called up to Majors", right?

Sounds fine to me. Anyone have something to say about this? If not, I'l make the change.
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Re: Draft Discussion

Postby stevethumb » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:59 am

wrveres wrote:
kaiser wrote:
Rance Mulliniks wrote:A question about our in-season waivers and Yahoo settings - I know we aren't able to draft players who have no MLB experience, even if they're on a roster. Shouldn't that be the same for claiming someone on waivers? If so, our Yahoo settings for "New Players Become Available" should be "Wait until called up to Majors", right?

Sounds fine to me. Anyone have something to say about this? If not, I'l make the change.

Sounds right to me. I'd check with Chris to make sure it's in all three leagues.

can someone explain how jgyorko and brondon and kfujikawa among others are eligible to be claimed...cmon kaiser stop this before the season begins...enforce the freakin rule that some of us are playing by
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby kaiser » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:42 am

Alright Steve. Chill out a bit man. This is only a game.

Steve is right in that we did say that no one who was not on a major league roster is eligible to be rostered. For whatever reason, I neglected to change the league setting to reflect this, and now it will no longer let me do it.

So... to rectify this, we will do the following: no player who is listed as "NA" using Yahoo's standards may be rostered. If anyone rosters one of these players, I will change it back using the commissioner toools.

Since Gyorko is the only player with this status who has currently been rostered in the league, I have removed him from twisteddude's roster, returned Justin Smoak to twisted's roster, and have returned the $37 dollars to twisted's FAAB budget.

I apologize for the confusion. When I was considering this, I was only really thinking of the actual draft. I didn't consider that the wording that we used in discussing this was "not until they are on the major league roster." Since those 40-man rosters will not be set until another next week, players like Gyorko are not officially with the major league club yet, so in following the letter of what we said, this is how it needs to be.

This policy will only apply to players that Yahoo lists as NA for any reason. If a player is not listed as "NA," such as Rondon, they are eligible to be rostered. This policy will be in effect for the full season.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 308)

Postby stevethumb » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:33 pm

kaiser wrote:Alright Steve. Chill out a bit man. This is only a game.

Steve is right in that we did say that no one who was not on a major league roster is eligible to be rostered. For whatever reason, I neglected to change the league setting to reflect this, and now it will no longer let me do it.

So... to rectify this, we will do the following: no player who is listed as "NA" using Yahoo's standards may be rostered. If anyone rosters one of these players, I will change it back using the commissioner toools.

Since Gyorko is the only player with this status who has currently been rostered in the league, I have removed him from twisteddude's roster, returned Justin Smoak to twisted's roster, and have returned the $37 dollars to twisted's FAAB budget.

I apologize for the confusion. When I was considering this, I was only really thinking of the actual draft. I didn't consider that the wording that we used in discussing this was "not until they are on the major league roster." Since those 40-man rosters will not be set until another next week, players like Gyorko are not officially with the major league club yet, so in following the letter of what we said, this is how it needs to be.

This policy will only apply to players that Yahoo lists as NA for any reason. If a player is not listed as "NA," such as Rondon, they are eligible to be rostered. This policy will be in effect for the full season.

a game is played by RULES that all must follow..those who claimed players who were not yet called up to the majors are cheating..,
you werent in the league last year when mtrout was allowed to be rostered before he was called up..2 years in a row of rule violators is reason to rail..

why are fujikawa and rondon allowed to be picked up ? they have no MLB experience and they have not been called up to the majors yet ?
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby daullaz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:55 pm

From earlier ...

chris8 wrote:Late to this discussion as always, when they take place in the middle of the night UK time!

Just to clarify - Pond Scum clarified this rule before the draft started, and we have the same situation in place as in Masters.

As for the situation with waivers, that was not discussed in Pond Scum before we started, so I am hesitant to change the settings now. Personally, I don't see a problem with guys like Ryu & Rondon being available to be bid on as soon as the draft is over - everyone has an equal opportunity to get them, and if they want to bid on a prospect who isn't up yet, and take the risk that they will have a roster spot with no production for a few weeks, fair play to them.

kaiser wrote:Obviously, there has been some confusion on the question of who is draft eligible.

The topic was discussed in both the Cafeholics Masters and Pond Scum board during the organizational phase, as well as briefly on the Masters "League Settings" thread before the start of the draft. At that time, I asked for anyone who was in opposition to utilizing that rule to say so. No opposition was raised.

I also said I would confirm draft rules before the start of the draft. I neglected to address this rule specifically as part of that confirmation. I apologize for this oversight.

Since it is apparent that at least some members of the Masters League have been drafting with the belief that players without major league experience are ineligible, and since no players without MLB experience have been drafted yet in Masters, the fairest thing to do is to continue with that rule. This is what we will do.

The FAAB will allow for anyone who wishes to roster a player not available in the draft to have a fair and equal chance to do so before the season starts.

kaiser wrote:Another point of clarification: High-interest players with no major league experience, such as Rondon, Ryu, Hamilton, etc., will not be free agents at the start of the season. They will be on waivers, and you will be able to place a blind bid on any player you are interested in, utilizing your Free Agent Aquisition Budget (which will be set at $100).

From Yahoo rules:
In a Free Agents Acquisition Budgets (FAAB) waivers system, each manager receives a dollar amount to place blind bids on players that are on waivers. The manager with the highest bid at the end of the waiver period claims that player and that bid amount is deducted from the team's acquisition budget.

This is why I put a claim on Fujikawa, Gyorko, etc. I thought it was pretty clear that we'd be able to bid on them immediately.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby kaiser » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Perhaps Yahoo considers a player like Rondon available because he is currently still in the major league camp and has not been sent down to the minor league camp yet? I don't know, and frankly, I don't really care.

Since it appears that, to my knowlege, no one in the past history of Masters, Pond Scum or N00bs has ever bothered to clearly define or even , God forbid, write down these rules, I've been having to play at by ear.

I appreciate your passion for the integrity of the game, Steve. I'll certainly keep all of this in mind when I create what will apparently be the first constitution for Cafe leagues. But for the present, we will utilize the policy that I outlined previously. Any player who is listed by the powers that be at Yahoo as NA may not be rostered. If they do not carry this designation, waiver claims may be placed on them.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kaiser » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:56 pm

So that we can consolidate all further league discussion in one place, I am going to lock down this thread and ask that all comments regarding league matters now be posted on the league bulletin board in Yahoo.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to 2013 Cafeholics Masters