Draft Discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to 2013 Cafeholics Masters

Draft Discussion

Moderators: kaiser, ironman

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:47 pm

A question about our in-season waivers and Yahoo settings - I know we aren't able to draft players who have no MLB experience, even if they're on a roster. Shouldn't that be the same for claiming someone on waivers? If so, our Yahoo settings for "New Players Become Available" should be "Wait until called up to Majors", right?
Image
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 2207
(Past Year: 27)
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Up in the Rockies, hoping for powder

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby kaiser » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Rance Mulliniks wrote:A question about our in-season waivers and Yahoo settings - I know we aren't able to draft players who have no MLB experience, even if they're on a roster. Shouldn't that be the same for claiming someone on waivers? If so, our Yahoo settings for "New Players Become Available" should be "Wait until called up to Majors", right?


Sounds fine to me. Anyone have something to say about this? If not, I'l make the change.
Image
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 5554
(Past Year: 308)
Joined: 8 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Genco Olive Oil Co.

Re: Re: Draft Discussion

Postby wrveres » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:30 pm

kaiser wrote:
Rance Mulliniks wrote:A question about our in-season waivers and Yahoo settings - I know we aren't able to draft players who have no MLB experience, even if they're on a roster. Shouldn't that be the same for claiming someone on waivers? If so, our Yahoo settings for "New Players Become Available" should be "Wait until called up to Majors", right?


Sounds fine to me. Anyone have something to say about this? If not, I'l make the change.

Sounds right to me. I'd check with Chris to make sure it's in all three leagues.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 720)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby kaiser » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:10 pm

Damn. Thought Tim Hudson would be there for me next time around. He is a very solid arm in the middle of your fantasy rotation.
Image
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 5554
(Past Year: 308)
Joined: 8 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Genco Olive Oil Co.

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby twistedude » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks. I'm happy with Hudson, although Estrada was my top target this round. Seems like most if not all the reliable production has been zapped off the board by now.
twistedude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2283
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 19 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:39 pm

I had a whole tier of good arms evaporate on me in the Pond Scum draft. :-/ Estrada ect ect. The problem with draft pitching just a little bit better than you planned is that you wait just a little too ling to back-stop it. I should have just reached for Estrada and gone home happy.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1688
(Past Year: 51)
Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: SAGNOF

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby daullaz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:54 pm

I had my heart set on Niese this round, but just before I posted my pick I saw he was taken in the 10th. :-S

That boiled it down to Estrada vs. Bailey for me.
Image
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4884
(Past Year: 56)
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Babel

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby sportsguy138 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Hey,

Y's Guy just selected Hiroyuki Nakajima in n00bs.

Where in the league settings does it say, "we aren't able to draft players who have no MLB experience, even if they're on a roster"?

I want to clear this up ASAP so Y's Guy can repick as there has already been a pick made after him... someone please either post in here or the draft discussion in our league if possible. Thanks a lot.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8777
(Past Year: 411)
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:51 pm

This is going to get ugly. :-o
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1688
(Past Year: 51)
Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: SAGNOF

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby kaiser » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:54 pm

sportsguy138 wrote:Hey,

Y's Guy just selected Hiroyuki Nakajima in n00bs.

Where in the league settings does it say, "we aren't able to draft players who have no MLB experience, even if they're on a roster"?

I want to clear this up ASAP so Y's Guy can repick as there has already been a pick made after him... someone please either post in here or the draft discussion in our league if possible. Thanks a lot.


We discussed it in the Masters League draft settings thread before we began. I do not know if it was clarified in Pond Scum or N00bs.

My understanding is that it has been run that way in years past, and so most league members are already familiar with that rule. I won Pond Scum last year, but I don't recall discussion about it before that draft. There may have been... I just don't recall it.

Chris8 might be able to add more to this discussion. All parties should keep in mind that the mods and commissioners for these leagues have voluntarily assumed those roles, in order to ensure that these annual leagues continued this year. Some of us (myself, specifically,) are serving in this capacity for the first time. Errors may be made along the way...

I would simply tell Y's guy that the standard in these leagues has always been that anyone who did not play in the major leagues last season is not eligible for the draft, and must instead be acquired through the waivers process once the season has begun. Suspend the draft until he can make another pick, and resume it after clarifying this rule with all members of the league.
Image
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 5554
(Past Year: 308)
Joined: 8 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Genco Olive Oil Co.

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Cafeholics Masters

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Pittsburgh
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact