Draft Discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to 2013 Cafeholics Pond Scum

Draft Discussion

Moderators: chris8, ayebatter

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby ayebatter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:16 pm

Ender wrote:I couldn't find this in the rules anywhere but do we have to draft a valid roster or does it only have to be valid by opening day?

Not sure what you mean by valid, but I'd guess you'll need to fill all of your roster spots as they're listed with eligible players for those spots.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1275)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:18 pm

GardnerRunsRampant wrote:
Ender wrote:I got him for $1 in my auction league. There are some real concerns that once the Reds realize Choo can't play CF that a "big minor league player" will come up and rob AB from Ludwick if he struggles at all.

Can't mention names, but the guy I believe your talking about is struggling to even put the ball in play so far this spring. Granted small sample size, but this is his opportunity to showcase his stuff before the 2013 season and he's not taking advantage of the situation.

I'm still concerned Choo won't be able to hack it at CF and Ludwick gets benched when they get a CF. Not worried about a rookie. Baker doesn't generally take well to rookies anyway.
That said Ludwick was near the top of my list. ;-D ;-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:18 pm

ayebatter wrote:
Ender wrote:I couldn't find this in the rules anywhere but do we have to draft a valid roster or does it only have to be valid by opening day?

Not sure what you mean by valid, but I'd guess you'll need to fill all of your roster spots as they're listed with eligible players for those spots.

Yeah that is what I meant. Basically I'd like to draft the player that is going to replace Hart when he goes on the DL rather than wait until the league is active. Some leagues are cool with that, some aren't.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:19 pm

ayebatter wrote:

I was under the impression that you needed to draft a valid roster
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:24 pm

There is not a bench spot to put a suspended player in so you would have to outright drop him, I don't see how a DL'd player would be an issue though as players that have already been drafted can go on the DL during spring training and some have.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:24 pm

I believe that was what the poll was about, as you can only draft players that are currently in Yahoo's database. If he's not in the database yet he can't be drafted, but if he's got 'NA' or 'DL' or whatever then it's fair game. If people want to start 10 DL/NA guys then go for it. The pitching ratios will look awesome.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:30 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:

I believe that was what the poll was about, as you can only draft players that are currently in Yahoo's database. If he's not in the database yet he can't be drafted, but if he's got 'NA' or 'DL' or whatever then it's fair game. If people want to start 10 DL/NA guys then go for it. The pitching ratios will look awesome.

Ender wants to draft a NA a player and wants to know if it's ok even though he'll either have to accept zero production or have to drop him to fill in the spot with an active player. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:33 pm

ayebatter wrote:

There is not a bench spot to put a suspended player in so you would have to outright drop him, I don't see how a DL'd player would be an issue though as players that have already been drafted can go on the DL during spring training and some have.

Well I was thinking more of say not drafting a C and drafting an extra OF to slot in for Hart when he went on the DL. This is clearly an invalid roster as I'd technically have an OF in my C slot. When entering it in Yahoo that player would be marked as a reserve player until I fixed it (Sethbeno did this in the Bandbox league we are in together as an example, he has a P slot open and drafted an extra bench guy). Some leagues are ok with that, others are not. I"m going to just assume it isn't ok unless told otherwise though~.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby chris8 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:35 pm

Definitely not OK in Cafeholics Leagues! Been in place since the very first one - every roster position must be filled at the end of the draft - and have someone in it for every week of the season!
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:51 pm

yeah, I was always under the impression that you had to draft a valid roster.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Cafeholics Pond Scum