Draft Discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to 2013 Cafeholics Pond Scum

Draft Discussion

Moderators: chris8, ayebatter

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:06 pm

jfg wrote:I don't think it matters if Pierre plays everyday, I still think he's going to get 30 steals without hurting average. There's no player at this point of the draft who can give you a 6-7 point bump in one category without killing your average other than Pierre.

This

But he gives you negative points in 3 categories. Pierre had almost 0 value last year with his 37 SB, he hurt you as much in R/RBI as he helped with the SB.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ayebatter » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Ender wrote:
jfg wrote:I don't think it matters if Pierre plays everyday, I still think he's going to get 30 steals without hurting average. There's no player at this point of the draft who can give you a 6-7 point bump in one category without killing your average other than Pierre.

This

But he gives you negative points in 3 categories. Pierre had almost 0 value last year with his 37 SB, he hurt you as much in R/RBI as he helped with the SB.

There are no negative points in the 16th round of a zero bench league. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1598)

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:16 pm

ayebatter wrote:
Ender wrote:

This

There are no negative points in the 16th round of a zero bench league. ;-)

Sure there are. There is still replacement level. I get what you are saying I guess, if he ends up platooning or stinking the loss is pretty darn low for players picked here. I'm not saying it is a bad pick, I'm just not high on the guy. But the point remains that just because he gives you 35 SB doesn't mean he has value. He has to play more than he did last year to really have value. I would assume mookie is expecting more than 440 PA and more than 59 R. I mean if he busts out 2010 again he is a huge bargain.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:45 pm

I think the pick of Pierre was vital for Mookie not because of what Pierre can and can't do, but because of his team's iffy speed issues at that point. A solid enough, harmless burner was a good move regardless of role and age. Chris Perez, though, looks like a move that was similar to self-flogging.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 149)

Postby GardnerRunsRampant » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:46 pm

I can't believe Juan Pierre inspired this much conversation %-6

He was an alright pick, although I had him making it back to Mookie next time around. Mookie's got a balanced offense, but a lot of question marks still to answer with his pitching. There's potential though.
GardnerRunsRampant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 60)

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:58 pm

I hated Chris Perez last year, this year he seems like a fine flier as long as this injury doesn't last into the season. He actually made all the idiots who drafted him last year look smart by improving his peripherals and becoming a decent pitcher~. Last year's skillset is fully closer worthy.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby chris8 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Ender wrote:I hated Chris Perez last year, this year he seems like a fine flier as long as this injury doesn't last into the season. He actually made all the idiots who drafted him last year look smart by improving his peripherals and becoming a decent pitcher~. Last year's skillset is fully closer worthy.

Yeah, I was seriously thinking about drafting him this round before Mookie made my decision for me.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 135)

Postby ayebatter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:23 am

Before we get into this discussion of who is eligible to be drafted or not, I'll let everyone know that there has been no set rule against drafting players without MLB experience in previous years. Bryce Harper was drafted in the Masters last year so I see no reason not to continue that way. It appears that there was some discussion on this in the original thread posted in the Cafeholics Forum, well not really a discussion more like 2 or 3 guys brought it up in 3 or 4 posts buried in the midst of recruitment for the leagues themselves. Since it wasn't against the rules before and it wasn't posted here in the Scummers forum we'll continue on as before - no new rules. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

Postby jfg » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:46 am

As long as they are in the Yahoo database, correct? Otherwise how would the league be able to be started without a full team?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby ayebatter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:48 am

jfg wrote:As long as they are in the Yahoo database, correct? Otherwise how would the league be able to be started without a full team?

I don't recall if that was stipulated or not, but it would seem to be the best answer and the simplest way to enforce it.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Cafeholics Pond Scum