Draft Discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to 2013 Cafeholics Pond Scum

Draft Discussion

Moderators: chris8, ayebatter

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:34 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I remember from past drafts. I always thought it was to not help the teams that aren't tracking players themselves. I don't really care either way. Everyone is making their own picks so if you are dumb enough to be goaded into a pick by something Mookie says then so be it. :-)

You say that only because you forgot that Coco Crisp swiped 39 bases last year and is a beast.

He's on the top of my list and now I'm not going to get him because you brought him up
:~(
:-t :-t
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:36 pm

I can't decide if Mookie is going to take A.J. Burnett or Uggla next. :-? :-?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:37 pm

I don't know, I kind of like the rule. It probably doesn't change anything, but I'd be super ticked if, for example, someone took a R-Zim at the beginning of the round then spent the rest of the day going "Hey you know who's good? PABLO SANDOVAL. He's being really underrated because of X,Y,Z reasons, yes PABLO SANDOVAL sure deserves to get picked. Also, PABLO SANDOVAL." - and then Sandoval gets picked right before I'm up.

Irrational, but that would feel super shitty. When you're hoping a player will drop, the last thing you want is for someone to shine a spotlight on them.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 66)

Postby J35J » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:43 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:I don't know, I kind of like the rule. It probably doesn't change anything, but I'd be super ticked if, for example, someone took a R-Zim at the beginning of the round then spent the rest of the day going "Hey you know who's good? PABLO SANDOVAL. He's being really underrated because of X,Y,Z reasons, yes PABLO SANDOVAL sure deserves to get picked. Also, PABLO SANDOVAL." - and then Sandoval gets picked right before I'm up.

Irrational, but that would feel super shitty. When you're hoping a player will drop, the last thing you want is for someone to shine a spotlight on them.

Yup, while most people in these drafts know plenty, I'm sure there are still occasions around this point and later in the draft where you may be eyeing a couple of players but a few other people start talking up a different guy entirely and it sways your thinking.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby jfg » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:06 pm

That's kind of the point. I do that at my drafts with friends all the time. Whatever it takes to clear people's heads of drafting Henry Blanco.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)

Postby wrveres » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:08 pm

Is anybody else shocked that Mookie is the person pushing the envelope when it comes to long standing Masters rules?

Hes like the Canadian David Marver.

Seriously Patrick. You've been playing this game long enough, you know that the time to challenge rules is not smack in the middle of the draft/season. Just cus you feel a rule is stupid, doesn't mean others do too.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby GardnerRunsRampant » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:09 pm

J35J wrote:
lane_anasazi2 wrote:I don't know, I kind of like the rule. It probably doesn't change anything, but I'd be super ticked if, for example, someone took a R-Zim at the beginning of the round then spent the rest of the day going "Hey you know who's good? PABLO SANDOVAL. He's being really underrated because of X,Y,Z reasons, yes PABLO SANDOVAL sure deserves to get picked. Also, PABLO SANDOVAL." - and then Sandoval gets picked right before I'm up.

Yup, while most people in these drafts know plenty, I'm sure there are still occasions around this point and later in the draft where you may be eyeing a couple of players but a few other people start talking up a different guy entirely and it sways your thinking.

Don't want to sound like a nit, but I agree. There are so many intriguing conversations we can have about players who have already been taken, that I do not think it takes away from the fun much to keep discussions of players not taken out of it.

One article I found interesting today was Matthew Berry's 100 Preseason Facts. These four items really intrigued me:

20. In 30 career starts, Kris Medlen has averaged 8.0 K/9 IP and 1.8 BB/9 IP.
21. During Medlen's career, the only pitcher to make at least 20 starts with a K/9 rate of 8-plus and a BB/9 rate under two is … Cliff Lee.
Maybe Medlen wasn't a reach after all, hmm...

24. In 2011, "Player C" batted .220 with a .281 OBP and .672 OPS.
25. In 2012, "Player D" batted .270 with a .340 OBP and .817 OPS.
26. Player C is what Mike Trout did at age 19. Player D is Bryce Harper at the same age.
I live around the DC area and I cannot wait to watch him the entire Nationals team this year. How many can they win? 110? 120?

55. Over the past two seasons, only Robinson Cano, Miguel Cabrera, Ryan Braun and Albert Pujols have more extra-base hits than … Alex Gordon.
This one really took me surprise and I drafted him!

83. Only three players managed at least 10 home runs, stole 30 bases and hit at least .288 in 2012: Ryan Braun, Mike Trout … and Norichika Aoki.
Still Mad I didn't get him. He has the potential to be a real good return on his tail end of the 8th round draft slot.
Last edited by GardnerRunsRampant on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GardnerRunsRampant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 55)

Postby jfg » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Berry had a lot of good things to say about my team... I like it.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)

Postby kaiser » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:28 pm

GardnerRunsRampant wrote:One article I found interesting today was Matthew Berry's 100 Preseason Facts. These four items really intrigued me:

20. In 30 career starts, Kris Medlen has averaged 8.0 K/9 IP and 1.8 BB/9 IP.
21. During Medlen's career, the only pitcher to make at least 20 starts with a K/9 rate of 8-plus and a BB/9 rate under two is … Cliff Lee.
Maybe Medlen wasn't a reach after all, hmm...

24. In 2011, "Player C" batted .220 with a .281 OBP and .672 OPS.
25. In 2012, "Player D" batted .270 with a .340 OBP and .817 OPS.
26. Player C is what Mike Trout did at age 19. Player D is Bryce Harper at the same age.
I live around the DC area and I cannot wait to watch him the entire Nationals team this year. How many can they win? 110? 120?

55. Over the past two seasons, only Robinson Cano, Miguel Cabrera, Ryan Braun and Albert Pujols have more extra-base hits than … Alex Gordon.
This one really took me surprise and I drafted him!

83. Only three players managed at least 10 home runs, stole 30 bases and hit at least .288 in 2012: Ryan Braun, Mike Trout … and Norichika Aoki.
Still Mad I didn't get him. He has the potential to be a real good return on his tail end of the 8th round draft slot.

Drafted Harper as my #1 OF, Gordon as my #3 OF and Aoki as my #4 OF in the Masters League, so I was happy to see that...

But if the Nats win 120 I'll eat Prince Fielder's jock.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 321)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:53 pm

J35J wrote:

Don't you think that's fun to try to sway somebody's opinion? In my NL only auction that I've been in for over 10 years half of the fun is throwing out stats when the bidding slows down or talking up the rookies.

The info is all there already. Just read the under appreciated veterans thread or check out the guys drafted in the other cafeholic leagues.

Oh and William are you suggesting that I am instigating or trolling? ;-) doesn't sound like me.

Also that's pretty rich from a guy who's not even in this league but likes to stop by every once in a while to drop a bomb. ;). Love you too William.

I know there were other posts I wanted to respond to but damn this is hard to do on my cell phone.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 282)

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Cafeholics Pond Scum