How long can we keep this pitcher run going? ;-D
GardnerRunsRampant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby ayebatter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:57 am

Draft results/Players Taken updated thru 12.09.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1638)

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:59 am

Ender wrote:In my 12 team league with only 2 bench slots Ethier didn't get drafted even for $1. I think it might just be that he is moving down in the lineup or people are tired of the injuries or something. I might end up picking him up at some point in that league.

Wow, not even for a dollar. Ethier is completely unflashy, but I figured with four categories in the Dodgers lineup he is a guy certainly worth that price. Perhaps when a particular stat stands out those players are more likely to get snagged than the guy who is merely steady.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 149)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:09 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:
Ender wrote:In my 12 team league with only 2 bench slots Ethier didn't get drafted even for $1. I think it might just be that he is moving down in the lineup or people are tired of the injuries or something. I might end up picking him up at some point in that league.

Wow, not even for a dollar. Ethier is completely unflashy, but I figured with four categories in the Dodgers lineup he is a guy certainly worth that price. Perhaps when a particular stat stands out those players are more likely to get snagged than the guy who is merely steady.

There are lot of spots left to be filled in that league, I'd expect someone to pick him up, if not players like him are precisely the reason I made a $1 bid on Carlos Lee to fill a bench spot that I knew nobody would outbid me on just so I could drop him for a leftover like Andre on waivers. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1638)

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:36 pm

I don't think you can really count on Ethier helping you in runs anymore. He is sort of a 20-25 HR .280 AVG and probably 85ish RBI guy who doesn't steal. I mean he should be on a team for sure but I get why people are down on him too. So much of his value was tied into batting in the middle of that order and now he is batting 6th with some pretty mediocre hitters behind him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby chris8 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Thoughts on Dunn at this point? He's a huge average killer, obviously, but I love the power numbers that should come with him at the end of Rd 12. I'm hoping the decent AVG guys that I've already got will counter-balance him enough that it shouldn't be too much of a problem!

Would he have still been here at the end of Rd 14? I doubt it, which is why I pulled the trigger now.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 135)

Postby jfg » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:21 pm

I wouldn't have drafted him at all even in the last round. According to my projections, he dropped your overall average 7 points. That's hard to recover. If somehow he can get back to hitting .250 he'll be a solid pick, but .200 is just too hard to balance and it's really negating the value of your top picks.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby GardnerRunsRampant » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:39 pm

chris8 wrote:Thoughts on Dunn at this point? He's a huge average killer, obviously, but I love the power numbers that should come with him at the end of Rd 12. I'm hoping the decent AVG guys that I've already got will counter-balance him enough that it shouldn't be too much of a problem!

Would he have still been here at the end of Rd 14? I doubt it, which is why I pulled the trigger now.

By my calculation, going by a zscore rank:
you gained 10 spots in other categories, while losing 5 spots in AVG.

By a total stats rank:
you gained 16 spots in other categories, while losing 4 spots in AVG.

At the overall level it catapulted you from:
5th overall zscore => 3rd overall
12th overall total stats => 4th overall

That said, every time someone drafts a player their categories jump, so it is relative to other players you could have picked, and that is off limit for this discussion. As far as value is concerned, I expected him to last closer towards the end of the 13th round. In general, it was a move that neither won or lost you this draft.
GardnerRunsRampant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 60)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:46 pm

There are now no players drafted in the other cafeholic drafts that have not been taken here.
Nathan, Soriano and Wilson were sticking out like sore thumbs.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby rjforlife » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:42 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:There are now no players drafted in the other cafeholic drafts that have not been taken here.
Nathan, Soriano and Wilson were sticking out like sore thumbs.

Nathan seemed like the end of a tier to me, guys with good K numbers, a rock solid job, and a good team that will win games.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Cafeholics Pond Scum