Draft Discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to 2013 Cafeholics Pond Scum

Draft Discussion

Moderators: chris8, ayebatter

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby Ender » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:26 am

GardnerRunsRampant wrote:
jfg wrote:I don't think the current tier of pitching has been depleted.

Edit: Never mind, didn't see that Sale went.

Your original thought was right until my pick. Chapman was still available.

He doesn't really belong in a SP run though. Either he is a SP half a year or a closer, he won't be a SP a full season.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GardnerRunsRampant » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:29 am

Ender wrote:
jfg wrote:I don't think the current tier of pitching has been depleted.

Edit: Never mind, didn't see that Sale went.

Your original thought was right until my pick. Chapman was still available.

He doesn't really belong in a SP run though. Either he is a SP half a year or a closer, he won't be a SP a full season.

I'll more gladly take his stats for 3/4 season and waiver/trade for a replacement player the other quarter. That combined player is very worthy of this draft slot.
GardnerRunsRampant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:38 am

I've been keeping an eye on Chapman and might have taken him if he fell to me but he is one of the biggest question marks this season. Even the Reds don't know what they are going to do with him. The upside is Strasburg like numbers as a starter or Kimbrel like numbers as a closer. The downside is he doesn't have the stamina or variety to be a starter and falters or gets injured or he gets sent to the bullpen as a set up guy because Broxton has established himself. I don't trust Dusty to do the right thing.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Ender » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:55 am

I'll more gladly take his stats for 3/4 season and waiver/trade for a replacement player the other quarter. That combined player is very worthy of this draft slot.

Oh definitely. I had him next on my sheet as well when you took him. I just don't think of him as a part of a starter tier. He is such a hard player to value. Like in my one H2H league I ranked him way down since I have no clue what he will be by playoff time. In roto he will put up good value in some capacity.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:11 pm

Chapman was the next pitcher on my list too, but I didn't have him in the same tier as guys like Latos, Shields, and Zimmerman because of the uncertainty factor. The potential for great value at this pick is definitely there though, no doubt.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby chris8 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:12 am

I'm sure everyone has been following the other two Cafeholics Drafts - between the three of them, there are some interesting anomalies being thrown up.

For example, Kris Medlen was drafted 55th in Pond Scum, and has just been taken 104th in Masters. Conversely, James Shields went 65th in Masters, and Pond Scum waited until pick 105.

Any thoughts on these very different valuations of two pitchers? For me, Medlen went just after I picked Bumgarner, whom I do like a fair bit more. I would have taken Shields in Round 8 if he had made it back to me - and around pick 100 seems about right.

What do others think?
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 110)

Postby MashinSpuds » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:15 am

I think Medlen was a fun high return pick, but on barely a season under his belt I can understand why the other league was more cautious. Shields could just be a victim of a late, collective pitcher acquisition effort, a Kansas City effect, and/or thoughts that Shields still hasn't proven enough. Hard to really say on Shields.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby ayebatter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:58 am

chris8 wrote:I'm sure everyone has been following the other two Cafeholics Drafts - between the three of them, there are some interesting anomalies being thrown up.

For example, Kris Medlen was drafted 55th in Pond Scum, and has just been taken 104th in Masters. Conversely, James Shields went 65th in Masters, and Pond Scum waited until pick 105.

Any thoughts on these very different valuations of two pitchers? For me, Medlen went just after I picked Bumgarner, whom I do like a fair bit more. I would have taken Shields in Round 8 if he had made it back to me - and around pick 100 seems about right.

What do others think?

My take is " Medlen in the 5th 8-o ".
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1387)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:13 pm

ayebatter wrote:
chris8 wrote:I'm sure everyone has been following the other two Cafeholics Drafts - between the three of them, there are some interesting anomalies being thrown up.

What do others think?

+1. Look at his opponents last year and tell me if you are still impresssed. His K rate in the minors was never that good. Too much risk for a SP in the 5th.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 378)

Postby ayebatter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
ayebatter wrote:

What do others think?

+1. Look at his opponents last year and tell me if you are still impresssed. His K rate in the minors was never that good. Too much risk for a SP in the 5th.

Actually the end of the 4th, but you take 'em when you think you can't wait any longer. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1387)

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Cafeholics Pond Scum