Pitching Stat Categories independent of number of starts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Pitching Stat Categories independent of number of starts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitching Stat Categories independent of number of starts

Postby SA16 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:43 pm

Hey,

I run a H2H Weekly league which has been 6x6 for the past couple of years but I'm always looking to tweak the settings a bit each year. Recently we've been going with 6 SP and 0 RP for our lineup but the issue I want to remove is making it optimal to just use guys who only start twice in a week (or in other cases try to just reach the min innings limit).

Last year the stats I used were QS, BB, K, Total Bases Against ERA, WHIP. This way we have two ratios, two counting stats that are good as they go up, and two counting stats that are good as they go down. The issue here is that BB,K,TBA can change drastically while QS is very limited thus it made it optimal to try to minimize your innings each week to just reach the innings limit (in essence giving up K, ensuring BB and TBA, having an outside shot at QS, and a chance at the ratios.

I was thinking of possibly replacing QS with IP since it seems sort of like a counter to tBA and obviously more IP/start directly relates to the quality of the pitcher. I was also thinking of the setting the innings limit per week to 6*(#SP-1), where 6 is ~average ip/start and then just multiplying by 1 less than the number of started to help account for rain outs, injuries etc..

Do you have any better suggestions? What are your thoughts on OBPA vs WHIP (Or potentially using neither of these and just using H/9 IP to remove the double counting in WHIP from the BB stat)

Thanks
SA16
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Pitching Stat Categories independent of number of starts

Postby bigmck » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:32 pm

If you just use the standard 5X5 cats, no one is going to be starting guys just to get innings. If you put someone out there who is going to crush your ERA and Whip and not get many SO, that is not going to help at all. You also need to put a limit on weekly transactions to stop streaming.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SA16 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:38 pm

The lineups are set weekly. You can't stream.
SA16
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RotoValue » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm not a fan of negative counting stat categories. In your old setup, you're often better off not replacing an injured ace. Sure, you can't get W or QS, but you also don't get BB or TBA, and not pitching won't hurt your WHIP/ERA.

So if anything, I'd recommend using IP instead of TBA or BB, not instead of QS.

Good positive pitching categories are tough - saves is and wins are highly dependent on situation, leaving Ks as the best one. QS is actually a decent category. The definition itself is maybe not ideal, but guys who get a lot of QS are usually very good starters, and that's the point.

See if you can drop the negative categories!
RotoValue
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby NBH » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:39 pm

How about:

Capping the number of starts per week - in my roto league, we cap the number of games started per season. By capping games stared, you force people to use relievers and starters.

Re: the scoring categories, in a standard 5x5 a pitching staff of closers and elite middle relievers would usually win saves, ERA and WHIP each week while losing wins and Ks. So I would suggest making the 6th category a counting stat that benefits SPs. There aren't too many positive counting stats for pitchers (and you don't want something silly like shutouts or double plays) so I would just toss in QS. So you have wins, Ks and QS (which are positively correlated to IP) and WHIP, ERA (correlated to skill) and saves (correlated to opportunity).

The weekly games started cap forces people to use a blend of starters and relievers. But if someone wants to use all relievers, then the best they can possibly do is win saves, ERA and WHIP.
NBH
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 7)

Return to Commissioner's Corner