Super Deep Dynasty League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Super Deep Dynasty League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Super Deep Dynasty League

Postby silentjim » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:57 pm

20 Team Keeper/Dynasty league with with 25 man rosters. It's a H2H league that also counts holds and OPS. We start C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, UTIL, UTIL, UTIL, 2X SP, 2X RP, and 4P with 2 DL.

Since I had players on the DL I need to trim my team from 27 to 22 and then draft three more players (anyone not rostered) after I select my 22. So the question is, who of the 27 listed do I keep? I'd like a decent combination of proven talent and young players. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Robinson Cano (2B)
Albert Pujols (1B)
Pedro Alvarez (3B)
Mark Reynolds (1B,3B)
Stephen Drew (SS)
Jemile Weeks (2B)
Jedd Gyorko (3B)
Geovany Soto (C)
Nate McLouth (LF,CF)
Delmon Young (LF)
Rajai Davis (LF,CF,RF)
Jose Tabata (LF,RF)
Mike Carp (1B,LF)
Franklin Guitierrez (CF)
Devin Mesoraco (C)

Jered Weaver (SP)
Jeff Samardzija (SP)
Jon Lester (SP)
Rafael Betancourt (RP)
John Axford (RP)
Ernesto Frieri (RP)
Ryan Cook (RP)
Jonny Venters (RP)
Rex Brothers (RP)
Michale Pineda (SP)
Joakim Soria (RP)
Chris Archer (SP)
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Super Deep Dynasty League

Postby silentjim » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:51 pm

When my offense was on last season they were great, but when they were off I struggled big time.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:03 pm

McLouth
Carp
Brothers
Soria
Tabata
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby MadDog36 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:21 pm

Highlighted player denotes a cut.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Robinson Cano (2B) - no explanation needed.

Albert Pujols (1B) - no explanation needed.

Pedro Alvarez (3B) - no explanation needed 3b is shallow he provides a good amount of power

Mark Reynolds (1B,3B) - I know there are some that thing you should cut him loose, but in a deep deep league his power is much needed on your rosterr AND he gives you depth.

Stephen Drew (SS) - Your only SS, have to keep, no explanation needed.

Jemile Weeks (2B) - Your only other 2b than Cano, have to keep, cross your fingers he wins the job, provides you with some cheap speed at least...i'm having to chance on him another league like yours so we in the both together here. I like having a backup at every single position if at the very least some insurance due to an injury. If Weeks falters or doesn't win the job he'll be an easy cut.

Jedd Gyorko (2b?/3B) - This guy is one of the better 2b prospects in the game, with only Logan Forsythe really blocking him...good power and average hitter (think Dan Uggla with a little better BA)

Geovany Soto (C) - Easy cut, I'd just cut him since he's a backup at this point. What I'd do is trade one of your excess MRP for a starting catcher even if it isn't a great one. Ryan Doumit (proven solid vet who can hold the fort down til Mesoraco is ready), Sal Perez (good young under-the-radar C) maybe even possibly target McCann or AJP would make great targets for you to hold down the fort.

Nate McLouth (LF,CF) - I know at one point in time this would have been an easy cut, however things can change. Orioles are counting on him as their leadoff hitter and he did show promise late last season going on a tear where he nearly put up double digit homers and steals and a very respectable .353 OBP in little over a month. Sure there may have been angels helping him (heh) but a starting OF in such a deep league with the possibility to go 20/20 is a must-keep. If he bottoms out you have some marginal OF that can get some play til he figures things out.

Delmon Young (LF) - This guy has hovered to peak at a 290 average or better earlier in his career, has to keep his nose clean, lower the strikeouts and popouts...also he will miss early on due to recovery from recent ankle surgery. He isn't expected to begin working out heavily until middle of March. Still though he is 27 in his prime years and due to the size of your league - its pretty obvious that you have to keep him. He'll be hitting in a hitter's park for the first time in his baseball career, so there is that going for him and he'll have some legit hitters around him (provided they stay healthy) - also that. This guy is without a doubt the penultimate risk reward player to keep. If he gets rid of all the distractions, works very hard, a 280ish/23-26HR/95RBI/20SB SB season isn't out of the woods for this guy. I'd take the chance on a potential 20/20 OF in his prime despite the risks (in deeper leagues these are the types of players that make you or break you)

Rajai Davis (LF,CF,RF) - Well in a super deep league sometimes you have to play part-timers or at least have one or two on your bench. He's one injury away from starting. You know what he provides good cheap speed and he'll provide that. He's a good off day plug into your lineup or should oyu face any injuries you'd have to put him in. I also like his multi-OF eligibility. You don't have a host of other options so you kinda have to keep him. WYSIWYG with him. Perfect #4 OF for your team or platoon partner you can get for RF in your draft coming up.

Jose Tabata (LF,RF) - A young OF who is trending the wrong way. He at best may make it as a backup OF in Pittsburgh. Not only is he a backup he has to fight for his backup spot. Hunington has already said that he's behind Snider AND Marte. At best he's an off day player but a marginal one at that. I know he has RF eligibility and you lack a lot of other options there, but I'd cut him loose as your last casualty and maybe try to get him back in the last round of your expansion draft whatever. It isn't a big loss. The only downside to cutting him is that he IS young (24) but Pittsburgh has some good young OF already and he's had his chance...and failed...Sure he will battle Snider/Marte for playing time in LF/RF and I realize that Snider has a lot to prove yet. Still target him the draft if you are worried about losing a young player that really IMO whose upside is Melky Cabrera at best.

Mike Carp (1B,LF) - Serious power good for your utility slot, I doubt Bay makes the team, Smoak has struggled immensely and I think he'll be good for 20+ homers outta your utility slot. I'd keep him because it appears you are punting BA anyway and just try to win homers and XBHs with your big boppers. I know he only provides power but in such a deep league that's enough to save him from your cuts.

Franklin Guitierrez (CF) - The guy is a marginal player and can't stay healthy. Time to part ways. You already have one Seattle player on your roster on offense and that's enough. Cutting him you can play McLouth at CF and you have Davis to back him up. There is no upside here. He's a safe cut IMO.

Devin Mesoraco (C) - Sure he's a backup but he only has marginal Hanigan blocking him. if I'm the Reds I hand the starting job to Mesoraco and hope for the best...you have to keep him here. He's got too much upside to throw away.

Pitching Analysis:

Jered Weaver (SP) - no explanation needed - good you have a top 10 ace to lead your staff. he's one of the few sure fire bets for an ace, very often under-the-rader despite being a top shelf starter.

Jeff Samardzija (SP) - no explanation needed again he's your second best arm.

Jon Lester (SP) - if this guy bounces back you might have the best pitching in the league again...that's if...

Rafael Betancourt (RP) - Has some value as a closer

John Axford (RP) -- I know he bottomed last year, but seemed to figure out towards the end of the season - due to a lack of other options, you gotta risk on Axford, the potential is there for him to be a top 10 closer again.

Ernesto Frieri (RP) -- This one here is a tough decision on - he has insane counting ratios and really will pick up a few saves to begin the season and the only player in his way is coming off TJ surgery so this one might be worth risk keeping as a top MRP arm.

Ryan Cook (RP) - Cook picked up 21 holds last season, so he ought to be a huge help in that category in 2013. Plus, he proved that he can handle the closers role despite one little rough stretch...This is just a kid and he has an aging and risky Balfour only blocking his way. Cook is kept over Soria because of 2 reasons he's healthy AND also a good young live arm with less risk than Soria.

Jonny Venters (RP) -- You kinda have to keep this guy - I mean he's one of the best MRP in baseball and on top of that, he might get traded sometime during the season if Atlanta needs a piece to complete their bench or rotation to a team needing a closer - say Milwaukee, Houston etc.

Rex Brothers (RP) - one of the few easy cuts on your roster. He couldn't even keep his job being demoted at one point last year. I think you should look elsewhere...he can be replaced if needed.

Michael Pineda (SP) - You don't need me to explain why you keep him.

Joakim Soria (RP) - At one time he was your most valuable arm, however there are several problems. His is recovering from his second TJ surgery in as many seasons, he no longer is a closer, and probably will miss a good chunk of the season because of his slow rehab. At best he's expected to miss a month of the season, possibly more. I know he can help in ERA/WHIP but you already have other proven options as well here. I realize in his defense he only has a risky/aging Nathan in his way, but come on Nathan proved healthy last season and Soria won't even get first crack should Nathan falter early because he'll be rehabbing. There was a time when chancing on dumping this guy everyone would call you crazy but you have to cut someone...and I'd cut him. You have a host of decent MRP already and you really won't miss him. Worst case scenario is he ends up closing sometime in the second half, its no big deal you have relief pitching covered. Semi-easy cut here.

Chris Archer (SP) - Bright future ahead of him prospects hard to come by easy keep

I have always said MRP is easiest to find but in your league which is so deep even that will prove troublesome. You can probably find a replacement but nothing nowhere near as good as what you've got. I have highlighted 3 easy cuts and I can't seem to bring myself to cut anyone else due to the fact that you need them.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1998)

Postby silentjim » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanks guys. You seem to be split on the same things I am.

Tabata, Soria, and Brothers were all for sure non-keepers for me I think. It's determining between McLouth, Carp, Soto, and Guitierrez that I might be having a problem with. Right now I'm leaning toward Soto with AJ in Texas and just a dismal drop in value the past seasons and either Carp or Guitierrez. Franklin I picked up last season so I'm not too attached. Carp on the other hand I've had for awhile and was hoping for some upside that hasn't panned out yet.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Gutierrez is the starting CF.
Carp won't play much.
He has to fight Bay, Ibanez, Morse, Morales, Smoak, Montero for playing time in OF or DH.
Carp is a easy cut.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby silentjim » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:24 pm

HOOTIE wrote:Gutierrez is the starting CF.
Carp won't play much.
He has to fight Bay, Ibanez, Morse, Morales, Smoak, Montero for playing time in OF or DH.
Carp is a easy cut.

Yeah, that's what I was reading about of late as well.

Do you have any hopes for Soto? I kind of like McLouth's upside over Soto's and feel like I can maybe nab a decent catcher off the wire at some point.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:27 pm

McLouth, i forgot Soto is a back up to AJ.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:42 am

Can't drop McLouth brody. Yeah, Carp isn't a bad drop either.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1998)

Postby silentjim » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:40 pm

Any opinion changes with Carp now possibly making the Red Sox?
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions