Last Player Picked: A Questions about Keeper Values - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Last Player Picked: A Questions about Keeper Values

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Last Player Picked: A Questions about Keeper Values

Postby kaiser » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:43 am

I like Last Player Picked as a strong resource to generate auction values. Razzball says that only KFFL did a better job last season in actual value to their pre-season predictions.

Trying to figure out how to configure Last Player Picked auction values to apply most accurately to my keeper league, or whether I can make that happen at all.

Last Player Picked asks for auction budget, which, in standard ESPN leagues, is $260. Does anyone know how I can adjust this number to reflect the fact that different teams in my 12 team keeper league are starting at different budgets, since we all have keepers that add or subtract from our starting budget? Could I average all of the starting budgets together, and then use that figure?

Any math or statistics guys who can get their heads around this, I'd appreciate any advice.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 319)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Last Player Picked: A Questions about Keeper Values

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:13 am

What exactly are you trying to determine ? I like to use KFFL's based functions which will assign player values. Though all players should open at 1 and substantially increase, no matter what they cost the previous season or what their 'option' was if they are avialable in auction all FAs are 1 buck and the bidding goes up from there. That makes things most exciting because you can pick up a steal or two at the end of the draft for nothing.

Taking an average is a good idea so long as there isn't a massive discrepency are you going for fairness? The difference in what, how many slots they have vs how much money to spend? That plays into the equation as well.

What the best thing to do is provide a summation for us on every team's open slot and available resources.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2068)

Postby kaiser » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:04 am

I probably am not being clear enough about what I am trying to do.

I'd like to use Last Player Picked auction values, but I'd like to adjust them to reflect the discrepancy between what different teams in my league have to spend in the auction.

In other words, even though our starting budget is $300, after removing the value of my five keepers, I only have about $175 to spend. Other teams have less than that or more than that, depending on their keeper values and also on trades they made last season involving auction cash. Is there any good way to generate auction values based on what teams actually have to spend?

I think the best I can do is just average all the starting budgets together, and then use that as the "auction budget" in place of the $260 (or $300 in my league's case). Of course, this doesn't take into account position scarcity in the values.

Maybe wrong in thinking this might be possible at all.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 319)

Postby Brainstorm » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:25 am

My problem with the Last Player Picked site is that I run it and I get some crazy numbers, like $70 for Miggy and then -$15 for some players that would be picked near the end of the draft. I mean I get some players may ultimately give negative value compared to a replacement level player, but that doesn't help me in determining spending as if i want one of them it has to be at least a dollar.
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 252)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions