Any Japanese imports of note this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any Japanese imports of note this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Any Japanese imports of note this year?

Postby daullaz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:29 pm

ccwindsong wrote:Nakajima is pretty worthless now with the Lowrie trade. Could see him at 2B but Weeks should see most of the time there.

The team announced at the press conference regarding the deal that Nakajima would by the regular SS. Lowrie will be used "all over the field," Beane says (I may be paraphrasing the actual quote).
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Garry26 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:57 pm

Yes this is what I figured when I read about him. He's a high avg speedster so it should translate well to the MLB.

Sadly, even if he's unknown, he won't provide much of an edge. I suppose I could grab a lesser closer in an earlier late round in lieu of a SS, and grab him even later.

The really nice ones are the ones that let me grab an extra stud early on, like Yarvish.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 66)

Postby kab21 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:18 am

Perhaps I'm just scarred by the Nishioka incident but it seems like most non-Ichiro Japanese imports hit .310-.330 and saw their avg's fall into the .260-.280's. Iwamura, Aoki, Fukudome, HMatsui, KMatsui, Iguchi, Johjima are the recent names that popped out to me. He still could be a solid player but I think you hope for a .275, 5 HR, 20 SB line if you draft him. I wouldn't want him as a starter.

Hyun-jin Rhu has solid potential from Korea but he looks a little pudgy like Irabu. I had no idea the Dodgers spent so much on him. They continue to spend like drunken sailors and have made the Yankees look like penny pinchers.

It might be a good idea to keep an eye on Daniel Alvarez or Almedys Dias from Cuba if they sign soon. They might be 23-24ish (Dias might be younger to avoid int'l cap limits) but would probably need at least half a season in the minors.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers