PUNTING SAVES strategy Question.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

PUNTING SAVES strategy Question..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

PUNTING SAVES strategy Question..

Postby bouncepass » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:39 pm

Im in a 12 team 5x5 ROTO...We MUST Start 7 Sp's and MUST start 2 RP's

There are Starting Pitchers that are eligible for the RP Slot......Any thoughts on PUNTING Saves and winning the WINS and STRIKEOUT Categories?

What effect will it have on my ERA and WHIP????

HELP PLEASE
bouncepass
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: PUNTING SAVES strategy Question..

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:50 pm

I'm not a fan of it. Getting one point in a category is hard to recover from, even if you all out win Ks and Wins. You're also most likely taking a hit to your ratios, which means you have to make up even more ground with your offense. It's doable, but I don't think it's worth it. I think it's easier to build a more well-rounded team than it is to make up for punting a category.

example:
You should be aiming to get around 100 points to win a 12 team league. That means around 10 points in each category. If you punt saves, but all out win Ks and wins, you still still need to gain an extra point in every offensive category to make up for that, and that's not even taking into account possible points lost in ERA and WHIP. I personally don't think that the benefit of not having to draft two closers is going to make that kind of boost easy.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby BChinly » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:09 pm

3 closers = 1 ace
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 116)

Postby jeffmerk » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:24 pm

Take a couple of stud RPs who could easily wind up getting saves late in the draft and you won't necessarily be punting saves.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 83)

Postby Garry26 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:17 am

Unless they are super bad, relievers barely affect ERA/WHIP because they pitch so few innings.

The idea behind punting saves is that while others are using picks on closers, you are grabbing a better player. You can get good saves late in the draft so you probably wont be getting studs in lieu of those punted saves. If you usually grab top closers earlier in the draft, then its another story.

Other thoughts
-You can "punt" saves on draft day & grab closers off the wire due to injury or closer changes
-Two high K relievers = 1 ace SP w/o the wins.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Maris09 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:37 am

I feel like it works better in a H2H categories league rather than roto.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:41 am

I usually employ this as a strategy only if necessary as the season progresses not as one at the beginning in a draft. As others have noted, punting a category like saves usually leads to degraded ratios so it takes down 2 other categories as well unless you are really fortunate and step into an uber staff late in the draft or on the wire early in the season. It is better to target mid-tier closers and scrounge a closer out on the wire so as to try to at least get 5 points out of the category imo.

That said, sometimes stuff happens and your closers get hurt, lose their job and\or outright stink up the joint and you get buried in the category in the first 2 or 3 months. That is when you re-valuate your team and maybe decide to load up on starters and push for Ws and Ks rotating in reserves and\or trading for extra starting pitching. Sometimes I laugh when I see an owner who is like 9th in saves and about 20 behind the 8th place team mid-season trade a top bat or starter for a closer...for what?...He will be lucky to move up 1 point. Bag the category and trade for starters. It is easier to say than do sometimes obviously.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Postby Ender » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:39 am

Unless they are super bad, relievers barely affect ERA/WHIP because they pitch so few innings.

Or if they are super elite. A RP who posts a 1.50 ERA and 0.90 WHIP makes a pretty large impact on your ERA and WHIP even with only 60 innings. Certainly enough to gain a couple of points in each category.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jonboy418 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:55 am

I'm not a fan of punting in roto. As another poster elaborated upon, the 1 point in the saves category is extremely difficult to overcome. In H2H, I have no problem punting, but saves is another tough one to punt since you will also take a small beating in ERA and WHIP. You would have to be prepared to stream pitchers on a daily basis if one of your SP has a bad outing to overcome the ERA and WHIP hit.

However, all is not lost:

The reason one punts a category is to take the most value in the earlier rounds. If you punt SB, Mike Trout is no longer a top ten option.
So the reason you punt saves is to reduce the number of high draft picks "wasted" on closers. Why not wait until the end of the draft? Your last 3 picks and take middle relievers with a clearer shot at making the closer role?

Players like:
Kyuji Fujikawa (behind Marmol)
Vinnie Pestano (behind Perez)
Kenley Jansen (behind League)
Luke Gregerson (behind Street)

I have employed this strategy, along with being aggressive in free agency, in one of my leagues and consistently rank in the top 4-6 range. I still get the positive effect in the draft and not the 1 in the category.
jonboy418
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 35)

Return to Baseball Leftovers