If you had to add one category? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

If you had to add one category?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

If you had to add one category?

Postby Quackman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:07 pm

Doing a league thats been going on for a number of years. Seems like people in the league want to add an additional category or two to scoring. The league has always been the standard 10 categories.

So if you had to add one category, what would you add and why? Seems like there is a good argument that added categories can more accurately decide which team is "better". That seems to be the gist of the argument my league is making.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: If you had to add one category?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:13 pm

I really like OBP as a category. It would give you a better picture of who the best hitters are.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby lambo1203 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:55 pm

I second the OBP for hitters. It's very popular among 6x6 from what I read. As for pitchers, maybe quality starts would be a good category to add. I've never done more than a 5x5, so I've never really explored options, but it seems like that's a fair indicator of how starters do day in and day out
Image Thanks to GiantsFan14 for the sig
lambo1203
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 26)

Postby Quackman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:56 pm

My only problem with OBP is it counts intentional walks. Im not convinced that says anything about the player. Many times intentional walks are situational in a particular game, player does nothing other than walk to the plate.

On the other side i think it is a great stat for top of the order/speed guys. Ajax is a great example last year. He improved his swing, struck out less, walked more and his OBP and OPS was the best of his career. For power guys that get alot of intentional walks, thats where i have a problem.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StoneColdBrown » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:31 pm

I run a 6x6 with OPS and holds as the other two categories. While not perfect, OPS helps solve your issue with OBP. The IBBs won't mean as much due to the differing arithmetic between OBP and SLG.
StoneColdBrown
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Quackman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:25 pm

StoneColdBrown wrote:I run a 6x6 with OPS and holds as the other two categories. While not perfect, OPS helps solve your issue with OBP. The IBBs won't mean as much due to the differing arithmetic between OBP and SLG.

ya OPS is being talked about. Same reasoning you say here. I like the idea of making it a 6x6 and adding a pitching category. Holds would be fun. maybe complete games. idk
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mudman63 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:14 am

For offense, we added a category of GAP (doubles plus triples). I know the popular additional category is either OBP or OPS but I can't help but feel you're double dipping with either of those since they are based, at least partially, on categories that are already counted separately. High average guys almost always have a high OBP. Big HR hitters almost always have a high OPS. There are exceptions but not too many.

Using doubles plus triples improves the value of often overlooked players who might hit only 10 to 15 HRs but stroke extra-base hits all over the park. Guys like Alex Gordon, Angel Pagan, Martin Prado, Daniel Murphy, Span and Jose Reyes. It also helps separate the slap hitting speed guys from the ones who actually take a swing. Extra base hits are valuable in baseball (puts you into scoring position immediately and helps drive in runs) but we in fantasy baseball don't include this in our scoring except as part of OPS which, as I noted, unfairly tilts the scoring toward HR hitters.

If you want to try something a little different, add a Doubles plus Triples category. You might be surprised at some of the values you can find in the middle to late rounds and how it impacts your rankings. If you add OPS, my guess is your rankings will change very little and all you accomplish is increasing the gap between your top ranked players and the middle and lower ranked guys but you didn't really change anything.
mudman63
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby converge241 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:59 am

SOLDS, Saves+Holds
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Quackman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:02 pm

mudman63 wrote:For offense, we added a category of GAP (doubles plus triples). I know the popular additional category is either OBP or OPS but I can't help but feel you're double dipping with either of those since they are based, at least partially, on categories that are already counted separately. High average guys almost always have a high OBP. Big HR hitters almost always have a high OPS. There are exceptions but not too many.

Using doubles plus triples improves the value of often overlooked players who might hit only 10 to 15 HRs but stroke extra-base hits all over the park. Guys like Alex Gordon, Angel Pagan, Martin Prado, Daniel Murphy, Span and Jose Reyes. It also helps separate the slap hitting speed guys from the ones who actually take a swing. Extra base hits are valuable in baseball (puts you into scoring position immediately and helps drive in runs) but we in fantasy baseball don't include this in our scoring except as part of OPS which, as I noted, unfairly tilts the scoring toward HR hitters.

If you want to try something a little different, add a Doubles plus Triples category. You might be surprised at some of the values you can find in the middle to late rounds and how it impacts your rankings. If you add OPS, my guess is your rankings will change very little and all you accomplish is increasing the gap between your top ranked players and the middle and lower ranked guys but you didn't really change anything.

interesting, ya ill bring up GAP. Right now we are considering Hits, OPS, complete games, loses. OBP ive decided against. I really dont want power guys to be valued more than they already are so adding two offensive of hits, OPS really makes sense to me. or maybe just OPS and Loses.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby etex211 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:33 am

I've played in 5x5 leagues for years. I am starting a 6x6 league this season, and I want for my sixth stats to address players that are often overloooked in the 5x5 leagues.

For pitchers, it is easy. The 5x5 leagues virtually ignore the middle relievers and setup guys, so holds is the natural place to go there.

For hitters, I've had a much greater time coming up with something. I want something that gives value to the team players that don't put up great stats in the other areas. The best thing I could come up with is walks + sacrifices, which I don't see as an option in any league. Right now, I've got OBP penciled in there. I am dead set against OPS, because it tends to favor the sluggers, and they already have stat categories that are exclusive to them.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 28)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner