Chris Carpenter to retire? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chris Carpenter to retire?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chris Carpenter to retire?

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:41 pm

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... 795f1.html

That should make Miller, Rosenthal and Lynn much more attractive if you are in the middle of a slow draft.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chris Carpenter to retire?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:45 pm

That or Lohse phone might start ringing.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:46 pm

They are really deep at SP including the minors. I'd be shocked if they signed Lohse.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby converge241 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:52 pm

I think Lohse is more likely to return given this news, but just that - more likely than he was before.

Hes finding it slow going, cards have "more" of a need than they did before this news (though not dire).
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Depends how healthy Garcia is IMO. I'd be shocked if they went with so many youngsters.
If Garcia is out to start the season your looking at Wainwright, Westbrook, Lynn, Miller, Rosenthal or Kelley. That's not much experience.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby converge241 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Depends how healthy Garcia is IMO. I'd be shocked if they went with so many youngsters.
If Garcia is out to start the season your looking at Wainwright, Westbrook, Lynn, Miller, Rosenthal or Kelley. That's not much experience.

garcia's shoulder is a big ? over their decisions as well, good point ;-D
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:02 pm

Yeah I guess that makes sense. I didn't realize it was a huge concern still since I hadn't really heard anything about it in the offseason. Shoulders can be a bit fickle to recover from too.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Ender wrote:Yeah I guess that makes sense. I didn't realize it was a huge concern still since I hadn't really heard anything about it in the offseason. Shoulders can be a bit fickle to recover from too.

Garcia said he should be ready to go by Spring training but we'll see. I always worry more when players choose to rehab over surgery.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Montana168 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:52 pm

Interesting. If Trevor Rosenthal wins a rotation spot, I think he could be this years dirt cheap RP turned SP that has success that you can get very cheaply in drafts. Meaning a guy that was a starter in the minors, but made his debut in the 'pen and had immediate success. Not all the exact same situations, but along the lines of Kris Medlen, Chris Sale, CJ Wilson (his breakout year with Tex), Shaun Marcum (breakout year with TOR), Lance Lynn, Cory Luebke, etc.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rjforlife » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:13 am

Montana168 wrote:Interesting. If Trevor Rosenthal wins a rotation spot, I think he could be this years dirt cheap RP turned SP that has success that you can get very cheaply in drafts. Meaning a guy that was a starter in the minors, but made his debut in the 'pen and had immediate success. Not all the exact same situations, but along the lines of Kris Medlen, Chris Sale, CJ Wilson (his breakout year with Tex), Shaun Marcum (breakout year with TOR), Lance Lynn, Cory Luebke, etc.

Rosenthal throws flippin gas, but his secondary stuff is only progressing. Same could have been said for Sale though, who really only threw a fastball and a slider.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers