A's trade for Lowrie - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A's trade for Lowrie

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: A's trade for Lowrie

Postby daullaz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:10 pm

Lowrie's spot really depends on how the 2B candidates play in ST and early in the season. If all of them struggle, Lowrie will probably man 2B. If one of them emerges as a solid option, or a potentially profitable platoon reveals itself, I think Lowrie plays third a lot of the time. His positional flexibility helps them a great deal.

I don't really see Moss playing full time in the wake of this trade. It may even be Lowrie making the most starts vs. LHP at 1B while mixing in at the other positions vs. RHP.

I don't think Wallace is going to play any 3B in Houston. He and Carter may split time at 1B or DH, with Pena taking the other spot, and the Carter may also get a little work in the OF.

Greene should be able to beat out Marwin Gonzalez for the SS job, but watch our for Jake Elmore, who was picked up off waivers from the D-backs. He posted a .344/.442/.465 line in his first exposure to Triple-A last season, which was his age-25 year. He has more walks than Ks in his minor league career and could also give Houston another base-stealer as they try to manufacture runs.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby loyola103 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:32 am

With Carter now coming in to play 1B with Wallace and possibly Pena, do any of you see the Astros dealing Pena at some point to acquire more prospects?
loyola103
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Football

Postby daullaz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:29 am

I'm sure they would love to do that, but it'll take Pena mashing for a few months before anyone gives up anything for him.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:51 am

Carter could play LF.
The Astros are considering trying newly acquired first baseman Chris Carter in left field in 2013.
The move would allow the team to keep Carlos Pena at designated hitter and play Brett Wallace at first base while allowing young slugger Nate Freiman to move around. Carter, 26, was acquired from the A's Monday in a five-player trade that sent shortstop Jed Lowrie to Oakland. Carter hit 16 home runs in 218 at-bats in 2012, and a move to left field could give him added position eligibility in fantasy leagues with certain settings.

I would guess Carter in LF, with Maxwell in CF, and Martinez in RF. Martinez in RF works 2 ways. what? there is LH Fernando Martinez, and RH JD Martinez.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers