Should I trade 7th draft order for 12th? WHIR please - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Should I trade 7th draft order for 12th? WHIR please

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should I trade 7th draft order for 12th? WHIR please

Postby jruffus1 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:48 am

I am in a 12-team H2H keeper league and am thinking about trading my 7th draft spot for another manager's 12th draft spot (last pick in rounds). In the league, keeping a player means that you forfeit the round that they were previously drafted in. I am keeping Kemp (1st), Rizzo (23rd), Bumgarner (7th), and Bruce (6th).

Since I am keeping Kemp, I will not be able to pick up a player in the first round. So, my first REAL draft pick starts in the second round. If I secure the 12th draft order, I will get the first pick of the second round.

This is how the first round would go:

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-(12: KEEP Kemp)-(13: My first pick)

Does this make sense to you guys? Do you suggest I made this draft order change?
Last edited by jruffus1 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jruffus1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Should I trade 7th draft order for 12th? WHIR please

Postby beisbol4ever94928 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:55 am

It really depends on who is projected to be available. If you stay pat, you get to pick 18th overall (likely better then that because other teams likely won't get a first rounder either). If you trade, you get the 12th overall (again, likely better but we don't know those specifics) So, look at the available players. Who do you project to be picked between 12 and 18? Is drafting in the 12 slot a significant improvement over six spots later? If so, consider the trade. If your projected 18 is comparable to the 12 slot, it makes no sense.

In re-reading your question, it seems you would keep the draft position? So, you would keep the 12th slot in all rounds? If so, the answer is pretty much the same, except If you get the 12th and 13th overall as opposed to 18th and 32nd. If that is the case, I would go for it.

Sorry if this is a bit confusing of an answer. Wasn't certain about the trade specifics.

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=453983
beisbol4ever94928
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MadDog36 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:38 am

If I'm understanding this correctly you'd only get one draft pick upgrade and cost you the rest of the draft. Well...who can you guarantee yourself at that first pick that would be worth sacking that hard?
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2062)

Postby jruffus1 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:40 pm

Yes thats right. I'd Keep Kemp (12th pick) and then pick 13th overall.

I don't really see it as screwing myself over for the rest of the draft because once the first couple of rounds are over, picking 7th or 12th doesn't seem like a huge difference. In fact, with the swap, I'd get to draft players back to back between every round.
jruffus1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby KELLYLEAK » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:01 pm

I agree with the other poster- it depends who's available and who you want. If there's a player you really like who you feel won't make it back to you in the 2nd round if you hold the 7th slot- then do it. However, then you're waiting 23 picks to pick again for your 3rd rounder. In the 7th slot you'll get that 3rd rounder earlier.

Also do you prefer picking in the middle of the draft or having back to back picks? In football drafts I've done picking at the end can be tougher because you have to predict runs on certain positions- in football for ex say Qbs- in baseball like relief pitchers. And people can strategically make their picks to screw you if your at the end- (for ex the guy picking before you might hold off on picking his catcher if he sees you already have one and instead could take an outfielder you want).
KELLYLEAK Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)

Postby kidsilk » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:54 pm

I agree that you have to look and see if there is a player you are targeting at that 13th pick. Who will be available?

please help

viewtopic.php?t=453994
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1215)

Postby wkpdpack » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:12 pm

I myself prefer picking in the middle of the round rather than as a bookend, so I'd probably keep the 7th pick. However, if you really feel there will be someone there 5 picks early than you are slotted right now to pick, I could see trading. However, that could also happen later in the draft when you're on the opposite end of the snake. So, with that being said, I'd probably stick with what you have.
wkpdpack
General Manager
General Manager

Postby fast dogs » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:21 am

Picking at the end of the round usually isn't a good thing. You almost always end up reaching for a player as theres no way they get back to you.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 317)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions