Creating an Auction Keeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Creating an Auction Keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Creating an Auction Keeper

Postby tyler2 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:08 pm

My league has been a 12-team MLB keeper with 16-player active rosters hosted by Yahoo. This year, we're switching over to an auction keeper hosted by Yahoo. Here are my proposed settings:

(1) 23-man active rosters so that the standard $260 budget is appropriate.

(2) $300 in-season budget to prevent an excess of dump trades.

(3) Up to seven keepers per team each year.

(4) Players picked up during the season (even if they were drafted and then dropped) can be kept for $5.

(5) Keeper salaries rise by 50% per year. This is the hardest part for me. Is there an industry standard? My thought is that if you got a bargain - a superstar ($40) for the price the average player (~$10), then his salary would work like this (let's assume production stays constant):

(a) Yr. 1: $10 salary, $40 production, $30 profit
    (b) Yr. 2: $15 salary, $40 production, $25 profit
    (c) Yr. 3: $23 salary, $40 production, $17 profit
    (d) Yr. 4, $35 salary, $40 production, $5 profit

Four to five years seems like about the right amount of time to keep a player on one team, but am I missing something?

Any other settings we should add?

Also, there's a bonus problem. We haven't decided whether to start fresh or try to convert existing keepers to auction keepers for this year. Right now, each team can keep 7 players as long as they want. I think that we could convert by doing this: (1) using Yahoo default $ values; (2) adding $3 for guys under 25 and subtracting $3 for guys over 30 (since Yahoo values are for single season, this would adjust it closer to what market price would be in a keeper league), and (3) discounting each player by 20% (owners should be rewarded for previously finding good deals - it's not much help to have drafted Mike Trout last year, only to have to pay $45 this year already).

Thanks in advance everyone - much appreciated.
tyler2
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Creating an Auction Keeper

Postby bigmck » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:17 am

I am not quite sure what you mean with the Production Value and Profit Value. It sounds too complicated. Below is the way I have seen it in a lot of leagues.====

The more standard way is to have year one and two of a players contract to have his Auction Salary. Year three is his option year. You have two choices. -- You can either not excercise his option which would mean you would keep him on your team for the third year at the same salary and would be forced to drop him after year three. Or you can sign him to an extended contract which would raise his salary $5 for every year you signed him. An example is if this was the third year of your Keeper League and you had Joe Blow at $13, you could keep him for the third year at $13 and then be forced to drop him or extend his contract for as many years as you want. If you extended for two years, that would mean his salary would be increased by $5 times two or $10. This year and the two extended years would enable you to keep Joe Blow for $23. You would have him for this year, next year and the following year at $23. You can do it for any number of years, but you only get one chance in his third year. After the contract is up, you must drop him. I hope you follow this. If not please ask again. Thanks
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby tyler2 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:13 am

Thanks, big. Your proposal made perfect sense - I'd be interested in hearing how any other leagues deal with salary escalation.
tyler2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dmendro » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Our league has a scale of rising salaries every year the player is kept. Here is our keeper ruleset. It rewards people who keep young players the first couple of years, but makes the choice more difficult later on.

C. Keepers and Offseason Dropdowns
1. You must keep 5 players from the previous season. Players may be kept for an unlimited number of years (2004, reaffirmed, 2008).
2. Keeper salaries increase each season they are kept, regardless of ownership, or whether they have been cut and re-signed. Keeper salaries increase each year by 4/8/12/12/12/12...etc. For example, you have Ryan Braun for $1. Provided he isn’t cut and resigned at a different salary, Year 1 kept he will be $5, Year 2 - $13, Year 3 - $25, Year 4 - $37, Year - $49, etc. (2012)
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby tyler2 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:58 am

Great, thanks dmendro.
tyler2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jmitchell1985 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:42 pm

Our keepers salary are frozen for 1 year and then they escalate by $5 per year until he is thrown back.

So you get Hamilton at $21 in the auction (year 0), you keep him next year at $21 (year 1), then year 2 he goes $26, and then to $31. Depending if the team is in it or building for the future he may can traded a few times before he is thrown back. F. Hernandez started at $6, he is now up to $4, he has not been thrown back but he has been on 5 different teams thru trade.
jmitchell1985
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ProfPlum » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:15 pm

How do you award free agents (i.e. dropped players, undrafted players, etc) to teams; e.g first come, first serve or based on standings or some in-season blind auction. The owners in our league are craft s.o.b.s so you may have to close a few loopholes depending upon your awarding method.
ProfPlum
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigmck » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:24 pm

(4) Players picked up during the season (even if they were drafted and then dropped) can be kept for $5
=======================
I just noticed the above. That will get you in trouble as guys will find ways to drop their own players and pick them up cheap.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby ProfPlum » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:49 pm

bigmck wrote:(4) Players picked up during the season (even if they were drafted and then dropped) can be kept for $5
=======================
I just noticed the above. That will get you in trouble as guys will find ways to drop their own players and pick them up cheap.

That still depends on how you are awarding those dropped players once they become free agents where any team can pick them up. To stop what you've noticed and written, we simply have a stipulation in which any player drafted (or won through auction), once dropped, cannot be kept/protected at the end of the year by any team. That player must return to the pool for the following years bidding/draft. On the other hand, any player who was not drafted (or won through auction) at the beginning of the year may be kept for a salary of $5.00.

While our rule may seem strict, it was the easiest way to keep teams from somehow manipulating the system to where they could keep a player at a cheaper salary than what the same player was original bought for.
ProfPlum
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 2)

Postby dmendro » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:24 pm

ProfPlum wrote:How do you award free agents (i.e. dropped players, undrafted players, etc) to teams; e.g first come, first serve or based on standings or some in-season blind auction. The owners in our league are craft s.o.b.s so you may have to close a few loopholes depending upon your awarding method.

We use FAAB. The price you pay in FAAB, becomes the players salary and is then subject to the same keeper rules.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Commissioner's Corner