Forecaster 2013 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Forecaster 2013

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Forecaster 2013

Postby oscar15 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:40 pm

Although I don't consider myself a "stats person", I thoroughly enjoy the Forecaster every year (since 2007). I have never committed completely to one of their drafting strategies, but I have used modified methods for all of them. In fact, I often use a hybrid of two or more.

Thought I would start a general discussion thread about the 2013 edition of the Forecaster (searched for one first)

To kick it off; anybody use the DOM DIS columns in the player boxes? I have never paid much attention to them but I'm thinking they can be useful since I play h2h points league.
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Forecaster 2013

Postby Y`s Guy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:51 am

I am surprised that there hasn't been a thread already and swore there was one at some point.

I didn't get the Forcaster last season after getting one in '10 and '11. I have had the '13 this season and have focused on the DIS stat as a guide to who not to look at.

I also love the Universal Draft Grid as a guide to where to look at drafting players. It is like tiering but without ranking. And it institues the LIMA plan, which is a cool 7-cat rank system.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:38 pm

I have never used the Forcaster before, and didn't even know what it was until I did a google search.
I see.. 2013 Baseball Forecaster: And Encyclopedia of Fanalytics (Ron Shandler's Baseball Forecaster).
it's at Amazon. new for $16.0 and used for $12.01. what would be the difference in new compared to used?

is it something really beneficial to use?
I have won at least 1 league in each of the last 4 years. if I buy this is it going to be really beneficial to me?

what type of information does the Forcaster have that say other magazines or websites don't have?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby stevethumb » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:14 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:I have never used the Forcaster before, and didn't even know what it was until I did a google search.
I see.. 2013 Baseball Forecaster: And Encyclopedia of Fanalytics (Ron Shandler's Baseball Forecaster).
it's at Amazon. new for $16.0 and used for $12.01. what would be the difference in new compared to used?

I have won at least 1 league in each of the last 4 years. if I buy this is it going to be really beneficial to me?

what type of information does the Forcaster have that say other magazines or websites don't have?

used is fine...open yer wallet and experience a new look at roto..

read it cover to cover and you will be a better player for doing so
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby oscar15 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:I am surprised that there hasn't been a thread already and swore there was one at some point.

I also love the Universal Draft Grid as a guide to where to look at drafting players. It is like tiering but without ranking. And it institues the LIMA plan, which is a cool 7-cat rank system.

I have completed a couple of mock drafts using the Unv. Draft guide and have generally liked the teams I end up with. Although I did contact them about a possible misprint in the Unv. Guide; the SS position is missing several key players including Castro and Andrus (among others)

The only Forecaster thread I found was one about King Felix.

The LIMA plan is difficult to utilize in H2H points leagues.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby oscar15 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:22 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:I have never used the Forcaster before, and didn't even know what it was until I did a google search.

I believe there is a sample page on Baseball HQ website. Baseball HQ issues a March update available to everyone who purchases the Forecaster, regardless of where it was purchased...I think.

If you decide to buy it, make sure you read the glossary before diving into the player boxes. I had a friend who saw mine on my desk and was like "what the hell do all these stats mean"? I explained, he browsed...and purchase his the next day.

As for the difference between "new" and "used"; if i sold mine "used" it would have notes scribbled everywhere and about 5 diferent colors of highlighted information! I always buy my Forecaster new.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MashinSpuds » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Also, if it's used it may most likely be available after all drafts have completed. Unless you wish to use it for the season, finding used copies up until Opening Day might be tricky.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Cream » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:38 am

I have completed a couple of mock drafts using the Unv. Draft guide and have generally liked the teams I end up with. Although I did contact them about a possible misprint in the Unv. Guide; the SS position is missing several key players including Castro and Andrus (among others)[/quote]

This is good to know - I hadn't noticed. For those of you looking for a corrected version here is the link: http://www.baseballhq.com/2013-bf-draft-guide-updates
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:45 am

Cream wrote:I have completed a couple of mock drafts using the Unv. Draft guide and have generally liked the teams I end up with. Although I did contact them about a possible misprint in the Unv. Guide; the SS position is missing several key players including Castro and Andrus (among others)

This is good to know - I hadn't noticed. For those of you looking for a corrected version here is the link: http://www.baseballhq.com/2013-bf-draft-guide-updates[/quote]

Thanks Cream for that link. I will print it out when I get to work.

I think I mentioned the players are listed using the Lima Plan. I think I meant the Mayberry Method.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Return to Baseball Leftovers