Pujols - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pujols

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pujols

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:08 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:I've got him ranked 5th. He bounced back pretty well after that horrendous start last year. I think he's still got another big year in him.

He did bounce back for sure. I traded for him in 2 leagues and was very happy with the results. However the actual peripherals were still all wonky so I don't know what to think of it. He was still chasing balls out of the zone and not taking walks at all. I just feel he is too risky to take in the top 5 or 6 though I'm not suggesting he is a bad pick there by any means. I think the days of .300+ AVG might be behind him but he is still 30 HR, 5+ SB, 100+ RBI with upside, hard to argue with that.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jeffmerk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Slayer Rules wrote:
Ender wrote:Pujols is #11 on my draft sheet but I wouldn't pick Posey over him so he is really #10 and there are a couple other names I'm not sure I would go by the sheet over the upside with him. At 1B I'd much rather have Votto and I'd just slightly rather have Fielder who is safer imo.

Yeah this is my sense on Pujols - he's a bit of a conundrum for those of us drafting with a #4/#5 slot in a 12-teamer. I've seen ranks in the top 5 and also the bottom 5 of that first rd.

When you look at the stats Trout brings to the table, even factoring in some amount of regression, my gut says he's the pick at #4 over Pujols or Votto. I'd rather have either Pujols or Votto over Cano, so it's that trio of players from which I'll have to decide .

Pujols vs Votto is an interesting breakdown. You'd have to take a leap of faith with Pujols that he'll post a better season than last year and ignore what appears to be inevitable career decline with age. Still - he switched leagues, so his slow start wasn't shocking. The depth of his slow start was the shocking part.

Both of them are in potent lineups - not sure yet how I'd call that.

Remember that the 2B pool is more shallow than it has been in a long time before you pass over Cano.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 81)

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:14 pm

2B has at least 14 viable guys so in most leagues it really isn't a big deal.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jeffmerk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:24 pm

Ender wrote:2B has at least 14 viable guys so in most leagues it really isn't a big deal.

I play in 12 team AL only leagues.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:03 pm

jeffmerk wrote:
Ender wrote:2B has at least 14 viable guys so in most leagues it really isn't a big deal.

Ok well that really changes the entire draft compared to a normal league~.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jeffmerk » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Ender wrote:
jeffmerk wrote:

Ok well that really changes the entire draft compared to a normal league~.

To me, that is a normal league. 12 team mixed league H2H is for casual players.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:36 pm

jeffmerk wrote:

Sure but if you just randomly talk fantasy on this board assuming most people are playing in AL only leagues your advice isn't going to be useful at all. I generally assume something like an NFBC style league myself. 12-15 team mixed with MI, CI, 5 OF etc seems like the standard most people assume you are talking about when you post.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jeffmerk » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:03 pm

Ender wrote:
jeffmerk wrote:

Sure but if you just randomly talk fantasy on this board assuming most people are playing in AL only leagues your advice isn't going to be useful at all. I generally assume something like an NFBC style league myself. 12-15 team mixed with MI, CI, 5 OF etc seems like the standard most people assume you are talking about when you post.

I guess you're right but it's a shame if the watered down version of the game is now the standard. When Okrent invented the game, he made it 12 team AL or NL only so that each team was somewhat representative of an actual big league team, not a collection of fringe all-star teams like fantasy football. Luck becomes much more of a factor in a shallow mixed league.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:10 pm

jeffmerk wrote:I guess you're right but it's a shame if the watered down version of the game is now the standard.

Well to be fair, it's pretty much been the standard for 10-15 years.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby jeffmerk » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:55 pm

J35J wrote:
jeffmerk wrote:I guess you're right but it's a shame if the watered down version of the game is now the standard.

Well to be fair, it's pretty much been the standard for 10-15 years.

I didn't start playing true roto until 1996. Before that I played in a mixed league, points driven format for 8 years because it was all that was available to me. That game made me a better baseball fan but it's like the difference between checkers and chess compared to what I play now.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers