Keeper League Trade...Yes or No? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper League Trade...Yes or No? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper League Trade...Yes or No? WHIR

Postby burty1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:56 pm

In my league, we start a 3B, 1B, Util, and CI. Categories are HR, RBI, Runs, Ave, OBP, 2B, 3B, SB, and hits.

I have Fielder, Longoria, Zimmerman, Middlebrooks, and Prado to play CI, 3B, 1B, Util.

I am planning on 1B - Fielder, 3B - Longo, Util and CI - Middlebrooks and Zimmerman.

A guy has offered me:

Butler for Zimmerman and Greg Holland (I won't keep Holland anyway). While Zimmerman is arguably more valuable than Butler because of 3B, I really don't need Zimmerman at 3B. I am going to play Zimmerman at utility.

So...the question is...Will Butler outproduce Zimmerman this year? If yes, I think I have to do it. Right?

WHIR
burty1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League Trade...Yes or No? WHIR

Postby MadDog36 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:01 pm

Butler is either a 1b or a UTL only guy if your lucky. This is a lateral move at best...I'd look to move one of your spare CI..

Plus you might end up needing the extra 3b due to Longo's inability to stay healthy. I would look to trade one but for an upgrade somewhere else.

If you have a hole in the OF/2b/SS maybe offer Zimm for Andrus/Castro or for IDK package him for Cano or offer for Kipnis you might get a quality player at a position you need. An OF target might be something along the lines of a Heyward (someone whose young but isn't quite at peak value).
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1920)

Postby dleoboyd » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:11 pm

Zimmerman is a better hitter than Butler and provides more positional value. I would reject this offer.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby jtsandwich » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:35 am

I don't like it either. Regardless of who is better, when it's to close to call, you want the 3B guy for the simple point of having the extra guy at a thin position. 1B are a dime a dozen, when someone has a 3B go down, you will be who they call on for a trade and then you make sure to get more value than you are trading away.
jtsandwich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 104)

Postby dmbpanic » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:46 am

I agree with the others. I really like Butler a lot, but Longo has a DL history, so having Zimm as a backup at 3B is a nice luxury. Outside of that, I think they have very similar offensive potential. Butler is probably a little safer, but Zimmerman probably has a little more upside if they both play at their best level (IMO).

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=453946
dmbpanic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:00 am

I think that Zimmerman and Butler are so close that you have to factor in position scarcity. When you do that you have to stick with Zimmerman, especially since Longo does have an injury history.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions