First mock of the year! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

First mock of the year!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First mock of the year!

Postby Bherman13 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:20 pm

Let me know what you guys think. Brain is still transitioning from football to baseball, so I'm expecting some serious constructive criticism.

9th overall pick, 12 teamer.

1. (9) Joey Votto
2. (16) Justin Verlander
3. (33) Starlin Castro
4. (40) Jason Heyward * Feel like this was my first reach, though he was arguably the best OF available.
5. (57) Jason Kipnis
6. (64) Miguel Montero
7. (81) Roy Halladay
8. (88) Hunter Pence * Feel like this was a steal
9. (105) Ryan Vogelsong
10. (112) David Freese
11. (129) Ryan Howard
12. (136) Brandon Morrow
13. (153) Andre Eithier
14. (160) Fernando Rodney
15. (177) Jim Johnson
16. (184) Anibal Sanchez
17. (201) Lorenzo Cain
18. (208) Marco Scutaro
19. (225) Edinson Volquez
20. (232) Pedro Alvarez
21. (249) JJ Hardy
22. (256) Colby Rasmus
23. (273) Jhonny Peralta
Bherman13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First mock of the year!

Postby lambo1203 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:50 am

Not sure what type of scoring system you're looking at, but I've gotta say, for a 12-team mock, your first five rounds were really great value. I'm not high on Montero, personally, but I don't have a problem with that pick.

Everything I read and all the rankings I've seen have Pence low-to-mid 100s, so I think that was where you went wrong. If this were a real team, you're relying on him as your second OF. I know he's done great things in the past, but he really struggled last year.

Your pitching staff seems like a good mix of Ks (Verlander, Morrow, Anibal) and ERA (Vogelsong, Verlander) so you should be happy at how that turned out. The one thing I see is a gaping hole in your OF, and in most leagues that start 4 or 5 OFs, you're probably looking at one of the bottom starting OFs.

Still, overall, I'd say it was a pretty solid first mock ;-D
Image Thanks to GiantsFan14 for the sig
lambo1203
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Quackman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Pretty good lookin team. Overall well balanced. Good SP/closers and offense. Getting Castro/Kipnis on the same team will be tough this year. Nice job. Personally im staying away from halladay this year. That was your 7th pic. Not saying it was a mistake/hes a machine but I see him as high risk going forward and he killed alot of us last year. There must have been some good younger pitchers there in the 7th. Because of this and a couple later round pitchers you grabbed i might try and shore up SP with one more good pitcher. I think you have plenty of trade bait. Also maybe another closer.

good luck
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby Fear the Beard » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:31 pm

For a 12team League u did a pretty good job only thing im not sold on is Rodney/Johnson they had career years last year but i find it hard to believe they will come close to the same production as last year if i were u id use there production from last year to try and trade them for some younger closers like Greg holland or Addison Reed or Axford bc Johnson has a awful K/9 rate and Rodney has never put up anything close to those numbers before in his career
Fear the Beard
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team