Help me with my KEEPERS?!? Thanks. WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Help me with my KEEPERS?!? Thanks. WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help me with my KEEPERS?!? Thanks. WHIR!

Postby TheGhost » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:29 pm

I need help with who I should keep!!!!

So I play in a ten team, H2H, yahoo league that keeps 6 players.

You are allowed to keep:
2 players that you drafted between rounds 1-5
2 players that you drafted between rounds 6-10
2 players that you drafted between rounds 11-23

If you keep a player, you lose that spot plus one round in the draft. For instance, if you draft a player in round 3 and keep him next year, he is round 2 keeper next year and you lose your second round pick. If you keep two players from rounds 1 and 2 respectively, you lose both rounds as you can't go higher then 1. Same goes for a player who you drafted in (for example) round 12 and pick up a guy off of waivers who was drafted in round 12. If you keep both, you would lose rounds 10 and 11 in the draft. Another thing: If you pick up a player off of waivers that was drafted that year and you keep him the next year, you have to keep him at his drafted spot. If he is a free agent and was not drafted and you keep him, you lose your 23rd round pick (or 21, 22, if you keep 3 free agents next year from this years team).

An owner is not required to keep players from any round. For example, if an owner chose to keep 6 free agents. He would lose draft pick rounds 18-23.

The round in is listed in which I would need to use to keep the player. Free agents are kept at the last round. 100% WHIR

Here's my roster:

C: Willin Rosario (FA)
1B: Eric Hosmer (22nd rd.)
2B: Dan Uggla (4rd rd.)
3B: Evan Longoria (1st rd.)
SS: Starlin Castro (15th rd.)
OF: Mike Stanton (6th rd.)
OF: Jay Bruce (5th rd.)
OF: Michael Morse (19th rd.)
UTL: Bryce Harper (14th rd.)
UTL: Manny Machado (FA)
Bench: Jurickson Profar (FA)
Bench: Wil Myers (FA)

Pitchers: Cliff Lee (1st rd.), Yovanni Gallardo (3rd rd.), Adam Wainwright (2nd rd.), Hiroki Kuroda (15th rd.), Shaun Marcum (9th rd.), Trevor Bauer (17th rd.).

RP: Aroldis Chapman (FA), Rafael Betancourt (11th rd.), Joe Nathan (16th rd.), Ernesto Frieri (FA).

What six do I keep? THANKS! ...and WHIR
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1780
(Past Year: 101)
Joined: 9 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help me with my KEEPERS?!? Thanks. WHIR!

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:13 pm

I'm confused. Is it this:

TheGhost wrote:You are allowed to keep:
2 players that you drafted between rounds 1-5
2 players that you drafted between rounds 6-10
2 players that you drafted between rounds 11-23


Or this:

TheGhost wrote:An owner is not required to keep players from any round. For example, if an owner chose to keep 6 free agents. He would lose draft pick rounds 18-23.


I'm going to take the second option to be true, so in effect you're saying you don't NEED to keep any round 1-5 players, but if you do you can't keep more than 2.

In that case:

Mortal locks:

SS: Starlin Castro (15th rd.)
OF: Mike Stanton (6th rd.)
UTL: Bryce Harper (14th rd.)

For the last 3, I'd consider:

1B: Eric Hosmer (22nd rd.)
3B: Evan Longoria (1st rd.)
OF: Jay Bruce (5th rd.)
UTL: Manny Machado (FA)
Bench: Jurickson Profar (FA)
Bench: Wil Myers (FA)
SP: Trevor Bauer (17th rd.).
RP: Aroldis Chapman (FA)

Of that list, take three. Depending on the texture of your league (1st round picks rarely kept, always kept? Who will be available?) I'd take Longoria and Bruce. Then it's tough. Profar and Myers both have about the safest floors of any minor leaguer combined with very high ceilings. They don't really fit your need, though, as Profar would be blocked by Castro and you're already keeping 2 OF. Ideally you'd have a 2B keeper. Profar could get eligibility there which makes me lean towards him. There really isn't a bad option for the last spot; personal preference is the way to go.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 2152
(Past Year: 33)
Joined: 2 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help me with my KEEPERS?!? Thanks. WHIR!

Postby TheGhost » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:29 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:I'm confused. Is it this:

TheGhost wrote:You are allowed to keep:
2 players that you drafted between rounds 1-5
2 players that you drafted between rounds 6-10
2 players that you drafted between rounds 11-23


Or this:

TheGhost wrote:An owner is not required to keep players from any round. For example, if an owner chose to keep 6 free agents. He would lose draft pick rounds 18-23.


I'm going to take the second option to be true, so in effect you're saying you don't NEED to keep any round 1-5 players, but if you do you can't keep more than 2.

In that case:

Mortal locks:

SS: Starlin Castro (15th rd.)
OF: Mike Stanton (6th rd.)
UTL: Bryce Harper (14th rd.)

For the last 3, I'd consider:

1B: Eric Hosmer (22nd rd.)
3B: Evan Longoria (1st rd.)
OF: Jay Bruce (5th rd.)
UTL: Manny Machado (FA)
Bench: Jurickson Profar (FA)
Bench: Wil Myers (FA)
SP: Trevor Bauer (17th rd.).
RP: Aroldis Chapman (FA)

Of that list, take three. Depending on the texture of your league (1st round picks rarely kept, always kept? Who will be available?) I'd take Longoria and Bruce. Then it's tough. Profar and Myers both have about the safest floors of any minor leaguer combined with very high ceilings. They don't really fit your need, though, as Profar would be blocked by Castro and you're already keeping 2 OF. Ideally you'd have a 2B keeper. Profar could get eligibility there which makes me lean towards him. There really isn't a bad option for the last spot; personal preference is the way to go.




Thanks for the reply. To clarify, you can't keep more then two players from the specified rounds. But you don't have to selected any. I hope that makes sense. The reason we do this is to preserve a decent list of players for the draft pool.

And yes, 1st round picks are rarely kept because you don't get any keeper value for them and there is a chance you can still draft them. The best players to keep in terms of value are the free agents and the late round choices (i.e. Mike Trout.)

So my mortal locks in my mind are:

Mike Stanton as a 6th round pick - rare power
Starlin Castro as a 15th round pick - good keeper value and a solid veteran with upside
Bryce Harper as a 14th round pick - potential superstar with good keeper value
Aroldis Chapman as a FA - great keeper value and a closer with strikeouts - maybe a starter too.

I have two more spots to complete my keepers. Definitely going with young players with upside and great keeper value. The candidates are:

Eric Hosmer - great keeper value with star potential but coming off a very disappointing year.
Wil Myers - One of the best hitting prospects in the game with the potential to make the Rays opening day roster.
Jurickson Profar - thought by many to be the best prospect in the minors.
Manny Machado - former top prospect who played well when called upon late last season.

So I need to pick two of these four. Just looking for the best offensive players with the most upside. Thoughts?? Thanks!
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1780
(Past Year: 101)
Joined: 9 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help me with my KEEPERS?!? Thanks. WHIR!

Postby pjtroy34 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:01 pm

Stanton, Castro, Harper, and Chapman for sure.
I'd keep Hosmer...no risk at all that late and he did have a slightly torn rotator cuff last year.
Last...either Rosario, Profar, or Machado depending on who you like.

Given its a 10 team league I wouldn't waste a keeper on Rosario, but some people love not having to draft a C.

If it were me, I'd keep Profar, but some of his hype is related to his plus defense.

Mine?
viewtopic.php?t=453837
pjtroy34
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 144
Joined: 6 Jul 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help me with my KEEPERS?!? Thanks. WHIR!

Postby jtsandwich » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:11 pm

TheGhost wrote:I need help with who I should keep!!!!

So I play in a ten team, H2H, yahoo league that keeps 6 players.

You are allowed to keep:
2 players that you drafted between rounds 1-5
2 players that you drafted between rounds 6-10
2 players that you drafted between rounds 11-23

If you keep a player, you lose that spot plus one round in the draft. For instance, if you draft a player in round 3 and keep him next year, he is round 2 keeper next year and you lose your second round pick. If you keep two players from rounds 1 and 2 respectively, you lose both rounds as you can't go higher then 1. Same goes for a player who you drafted in (for example) round 12 and pick up a guy off of waivers who was drafted in round 12. If you keep both, you would lose rounds 10 and 11 in the draft. Another thing: If you pick up a player off of waivers that was drafted that year and you keep him the next year, you have to keep him at his drafted spot. If he is a free agent and was not drafted and you keep him, you lose your 23rd round pick (or 21, 22, if you keep 3 free agents next year from this years team).

An owner is not required to keep players from any round. For example, if an owner chose to keep 6 free agents. He would lose draft pick rounds 18-23.

The round in is listed in which I would need to use to keep the player. Free agents are kept at the last round. 100% WHIR

Here's my roster:

C: Willin Rosario (FA) ;-D
1B: Eric Hosmer (22nd rd.) ;-D
2B: Dan Uggla (4rd rd.)
3B: Evan Longoria (1st rd.)
SS: Starlin Castro (15th rd.) ;-D
OF: Mike Stanton (6th rd.) ;-D
OF: Jay Bruce (5th rd.) ;-D
OF: Michael Morse (19th rd.)
UTL: Bryce Harper (14th rd.) ;-D
UTL: Manny Machado (FA)
Bench: Jurickson Profar (FA) ;
Bench: Wil Myers (FA)

Pitchers: Cliff Lee (1st rd.), Yovanni Gallardo (3rd rd.), Adam Wainwright (2nd rd.), Hiroki Kuroda (15th rd.), Shaun Marcum (9th rd.), Trevor Bauer (17th rd.).

RP: Aroldis Chapman (FA), Rafael Betancourt (11th rd.), Joe Nathan (16th rd.), Ernesto Frieri (FA).

What six do I keep? THANKS! ...and WHIR
jtsandwich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1042
(Past Year: 104)
Joined: 2 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help me with my KEEPERS?!? Thanks. WHIR!

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:07 pm

Your 4

Rosario
Machado

Profar might be in AAA all year
Myers likely in AAA to start
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: Help me with my KEEPERS?!? Thanks. WHIR!

Postby MadDog36 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:14 am

These 4 are sure locks.
Mike Stanton as a 6th round pick - rare power
Starlin Castro as a 15th round pick - good keeper value and a solid veteran with upside
Bryce Harper as a 14th round pick - potential superstar with good keeper value
Aroldis Chapman as a FA - great keeper value and a closer with strikeouts - maybe a starter too.

Other two I would go with Machado as basically a free keeper and that other selection is a bit tougher.
Rosario too since he's best value.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
Posts: 16548
(Past Year: 1937)
Joined: 1 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NC


Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Oct. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact