New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz

Postby kaiser » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:29 am

Obviously, from the responses here so far, there is limited fear of trouble from Braun this season. However, I think even the most ardent Braun supporter would have to admit that drafting him now carries more risk than there was before.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:57 am

kaiser wrote:Obviously, from the responses here so far, there is limited fear of trouble from Braun this season. However, I think even the most ardent Braun supporter would have to admit that drafting him now carries more risk than there was before.

I really don't think there is more risk. Every player in baseball has elevated risk this year because they start testing for HGH so either they are more likely to get caught or have to go off of what they were using. There are no players we know are clean so it is just firing randomly at a dart board. I'd probably just ignore it completely.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mweir145 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:59 am

As long as he doesn't get suspended (and I think they're going to need more than his name in the guy's ledger), I don't see any reason not to expect similar numbers from Braun. And they were pretty awesome the past two years.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby converge241 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:14 am

And Jesus Montero (didnt see him posted yet sorry if I missed..)
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby Bravos of Steel » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:43 am

On his show, Dan Patrick keeps saying that he's hearing that one more big name player will be a part of this investigation as well. He could just be blowing smoke, but he's been talking about it for a week now. Just something to keep in mind I suppose.
Beautiful, Beautiful Family Guy

Lois: You're drunk again.
Peter: No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking.
Bravos of Steel
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ironman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:52 am

Ryan Braun is a lying cheating douche.

But I'd still draft him. I don't think this new info changes anything with how he'll do this year and if they guy can lawyer up and get out of a failed piss test he sure as hell can avoid any penalties from having his name scribbled down in a book.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby kaiser » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:19 pm

Just for clarification, I don't believe this will have any negative effect on his performance on-field. However, if I had the #1 pick in a draft, I would have to at least consider the fact that there is a remote chance that something more comes out on this, and that he may serve some form of suspension. It has to be a thorn in the side of the commissioner that the Braun was able to escape punishment last season because of a technicality. It seems MLB would have even more incentive to leave no stone unturned when looking at Braun.

If I was drafting #1 tomorrow, I'd take him. But I wouldn't be as confident in the pick as I would have been last week.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:49 pm

Has anyone heard anything lately? Seems like traction has been lost a bit.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:32 am

It has to be a thorn in the side of the commissioner that the Braun was able to escape punishment last season because of a technicality

Selig knows there was more to it than just a technicality. We just don't know it because of the gag order on everyone involved. The thorn is from them going so balls to the walls to persecute him and then looking like idiots after he got off and they threw a baby fit and fired the arbiter that they had hired.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:46 pm

Found this link today to add to what I posted about.

http://www.chadmoriyama.com/2012/02/rya ... important/

Braun didn't get off on just a technicality, he got off because of a flawed test that could be repeated as flawed. MLB wants to sweep it under the rug and ESPN looks bad because of how they leaked the story when they shouldn't have and basically crucified the guy. MLB comes out of all of this looking terrible to anyone who does the research and Braun looks terrible to those that just listen to the media. I don't see any way that this becomes a bigger story for Braun because MLB just wants it to drop so they real details don't get more mainstream coverage. Braun is under a gag order from his lawyers and probably MLB so he can't exactly talk about it either. At the end of the day I don't think we know what really happened or didn't happen but I'm not just taking what the media gives me when there is so much other info floating around.
Last edited by Ender on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers