New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz

Postby Ender » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:32 am

BalataGrande wrote:It has always seemed to me that NOONE really wants to clean up the PED "problem". I've been saying this since they started in on Bonds years ago. If you REALLY want to solve the problem, make it a mandatory 1 year suspension for the first offense, lifetime suspension for the second. Make the punishment severe enough to put more risk than reward........but, alas, I don't think either side REALLY wants this problem solved......

The league has to get the players union to sign off on these things and it is against the best interest of that organization to do something like this. Baseball should be commended in all of this not attacked. There is almost certainly more PED usage in the NFL than in the MLB and they just turn a blind eye to it while MLB takes the higher road and tries to fix it even though it puts a ton of scrutiny on the sport.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:55 am

+1 Ender. The NFL has a far bigger issue with PEDs. The only reason this became a huge issue in baseball is that the government became involved and they aren't going to go down that road again. The only entity that could really go after the NFL is the media. They obviously don't want any part of it either since they voted Merriman for defensive rookie of the year after testing positive. I don't know if sportswriters are afraid or what, but this is really one big joke. If A-Rod was smart he'd just admit to it and throw everyone else under the bus with him. Because if voiding his contract is really on the table, that's a large sum of money to just take one for the league who continues to throw him under the bus.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:56 am

Aw, come on Gio :-C
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby kaiser » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:15 am

AussieDodger wrote:Aw, come on Gio :-C

Yeah, this has really screwed up my plan for my keepers. Had him slated to be my #1 SP this season. I've got him at a good price... now I have to decide whether I roll the dice and keep him or not.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)

Postby Ender » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:34 am

I think this hurts Cruz's value a lot more since he finally stayed healthy last year yet saw a dip in production so his value was already sort of uncertain. With Gio you do worry about a possible suspension I guess but I'd take my chances on his performance for sure.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kaiser » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:45 am

Ender wrote:I think this hurts Cruz's value a lot more since he finally stayed healthy last year yet saw a dip in production so his value was already sort of uncertain. With Gio you do worry about a possible suspension I guess but I'd take my chances on his performance for sure.

What makes it tougher for me is that I also have Zack Grienke and CC Sabathia as possible keepers, but each are about $10 more than Gio.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kimbos Beard » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:18 am

The problem is that there is no way this is going to get resolved before the season starts. Its a problem not just for keeper leagues, but for redraft leagues.

Gio is the one it really hurts as not only do you have to factor in will he get suspended but how do you account for how much of his year last year was boosted by PED's. I don't have the answers.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby sabinxl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:41 am

Gio isn't linked to any banned substances. There is no reason why people should be worried about him. He's a great value pick in redrafts this year, that's for sure.
sabinxl
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby kaiser » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:50 am

sabinxl wrote:There is no reason why people should be worried about him. He's a great value pick in redrafts this year, that's for sure.

I'd say there is a pretty good reason for people to be worried about a suspension. Doesn't mean it is going to happen, but to say there is no reason to be worried doesn't seem to be grounded in reality.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ender » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:55 am

sabinxl wrote:Gio isn't linked to any banned substances. There is no reason why people should be worried about him. He's a great value pick in redrafts this year, that's for sure.

We certainly do not know this. The feds have more info than what was released to the public so far and there is no way to know what that info is.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers