New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:11 pm

jackie hayes wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:
Ryan Braun has been suspended without pay for the remainder of the season for violating MLB's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
The first big shoe to drop in the Biogenesis investigation, Braun has agreed to accept the suspension and will not appeal. "I realize now that I have made some mistakes," said Braun. "I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions." That Braun didn't appeal doesn't exactly bode well for some of the other players involved, though this is a lost year for the Brewers. Braun will end up missing 65 games and is projected to lose around $3.4 million in salary.

my first thought is this is nothing. Braun will appeal and what appeal wont be heard this season, so don't go dropping Braun. but he's not even going to appeal?!
by not appealing, this has to be looked at as Braun is admitting he was/is guilty right?

I don't know if the nonappeal is itself an admission, but the quote certainly sounds like one.

I admit, I am SHOCKED that there won't be an appeal. (Incidentally, happy that my lowball offer for Braun was turned down, too.)

Obviously this was negotiated ahead of time. You can't appeal a plea bargain.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:17 pm

Soooo, MLB is still undefeated when it comes to suspensions. Braun was caught last year and the ax finally hits the neck.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 281)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby NZ Eff » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:18 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
jackie hayes wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:
my first thought is this is nothing. Braun will appeal and what appeal wont be heard this season, so don't go dropping Braun. but he's not even going to appeal?!
by not appealing, this has to be looked at as Braun is admitting he was/is guilty right?

I don't know if the nonappeal is itself an admission, but the quote certainly sounds like one.

I admit, I am SHOCKED that there won't be an appeal. (Incidentally, happy that my lowball offer for Braun was turned down, too.)

Obviously this was negotiated ahead of time. You can't appeal a plea bargain.

Exactly. Braun has negotiated the length of the suspension with MLB. Guilty as sin and always has been. What a douche bag.

Another douche bag, A-Roid is next.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 24)

Postby jackie hayes » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Obviously this was negotiated ahead of time. You can't appeal a plea bargain.

Okay. But I'm not a lawyer, so I have to ask, does this really count as a "plea bargain"? I thought that was limited to criminal prosecutions, not private arbitration cases.

I've glanced at the CBA and the Joint Agreement in the past, but I don't remember if there is anything on 'side agreements' (like a player agreeing to not appeal a particular decision, in returns for the Commissioner not pursuing a harsher penalty). Anyone know?
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 141)

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:24 pm

jackie hayes wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Obviously this was negotiated ahead of time. You can't appeal a plea bargain.

Okay. But I'm not a lawyer, so I have to ask, does this really count as a "plea bargain"? I thought that was limited to criminal prosecutions, not private arbitration cases.

I've glanced at the CBA and the Joint Agreement in the past, but I don't remember if there is anything on 'side agreements' (like a player agreeing to not appeal a particular decision, in returns for the Commissioner not pursuing a harsher penalty). Anyone know?

THe evidence was "non-analytical". There is no 50-100 game penalties if caught. MLB can come up with a term...ie. 100 game suspension...unless the Union, MLB and a player negotiate otherwise.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 281)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby jefferey13 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:30 pm

Matt Kemp gets his MVP award now?
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Iggy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:50 pm

abrage22 wrote:This is why I take all the stuff on this site with a grain of salt, even if it comes from the more "knowledgeable", "expert" members.
"There's no way they could every suspend Braun" they said... "Draft him with no worries" they said...
;-7

I agree ... I remember there was a poll as to 'who should be pick # 1' and many 'experts' said it was clearly Braun even though there were drug issues.

In one of my pools I lucked into the # 1 pick ... I took Cabrera
Iggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 59)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:41 pm

jefferey13 wrote:Matt Kemp gets his MVP award now?

Only if Jeter gets his...
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 35)

Postby kab21 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:48 pm

Braun's shenanighans don't even compare to ARod's shenanighans. He potentially bought Biogenisis documents to impede the investigation.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Postby Joe Mauer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:00 am

kab21 wrote:Braun's shenanighans don't even compare to ARod's shenanighans. He potentially bought Biogenisis documents to impede the investigation.

Yeah...I think MLB wanted to Braun to be the first one nailed so he was front and center in shame. But Braun got out with nice fluffy quotes from MLB, etc, and a 65 game fine. He only would have done this if the writing was on the wall.

By making a big time player like Braun come to an agreement it should grease the wheels to getting other plea bargains done with most of the rest of the players over the coming days.

I think MLB will tread A-Roid differently. It has been reported that they have even more evidence on him....plus....if they have the evidence that he tried to impede the investigation.....then MLB is going to throw the book at him. Anything is possible and the penalty I think will be severe.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers