Help, please. Dynasty League, no salaries, unlimited years - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Help, please. Dynasty League, no salaries, unlimited years

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help, please. Dynasty League, no salaries, unlimited years

Postby pvhawkeye » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:17 pm

I've created a dynasty league, and the members and I have even begun drafting.
However, I'm worried about my current set of rules as it pertains to bottom dwellers and leveling the playing field.

Current Setup:
12 Teams, H2H 6x6 custom setup
26-man "Active Roster"
Each position, 2 util, 5 sp, 5 rp, 1p, 5 bench
14-man "Inactive Roster"
Any 14 players

You must have 5 "rookie-eligible" players on your roster at the beginning of each season and throughout the season. If they exhaust eligibility mid-season, they may still count towards your 5 as long as you had them at the beginning of the season.

Callups from your inactive roster take effect the following match up.

My only idea to level the playing field a bit:
You may not add free agents to your team if they haven't started 5 games for their MLB team (or similar small amount of time). After they meet the requirement, they follow waiver procedures.
After the last game of playoffs, rosters lock. We will then do an offseason draft: you may draft rookie-eligible or established MLB players. However many rounds are necessary to get every pick teams want- rosters expand to accommodate these picks, but you must cut your team to 40 players, with the 5 rookie minimum, before the season begins again.

Thoughts? Restricting teams to 40 man rosters (or 40 'keepers' if you will) won't do much to protect those helplessly trapped at the bottom in my opinion. However, having a moderate/plus sized inactive roster can allow bottom dwellers to stock up on rookie talent?
pvhawkeye
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help, please. Dynasty League, no salaries, unlimited yea

Postby pvhawkeye » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Having no DL slots is another thing I'm considering. Would help probably just a little bit.
pvhawkeye
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby bigmck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:18 pm

The thing that caught my eye is "No Salaries, Unlimited Years". The guy that finishes first will have a good team for years to come. The guy that finishes last will have a team that will suck for years to come. Having Salaries or a Limit on Years cause Owners to drop players and give others a chance at good players. The guy that gets Mike Trout this year will have him until he retires. That isn't a good situation. If an Owner can't improve his team, he will quit. You need a Limit on Years to force the good players back in the Player Pool and give every one a chance at them.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby StoneColdBrown » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:05 pm

My question is how many teams make the playoffs. Big brings up a lot of good points: his post pretty much sums up why I didn't try to start a league with a setup similar to yours. I was in a league like that, thouugh; and enjoyed it a lot. Anyway, the playoff thing: if, say, 4 teams make it...then I could see the situation Big talked about playing out quite often. If you have 6 teams in the playoffs, though; owners may feel like they have more of a chance.

Another idea, which likely involves more work, is to reset the waiver wire order (if you don't have one, that's a huge suggestion) weekly so that it's always in inverse order of record. That way the worst teams have ample opportunity to level the playing field.
StoneColdBrown
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Commissioner's Corner