Salary Cap for Snake Draft League? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Salary Cap for Snake Draft League?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Salary Cap for Snake Draft League?

Postby lambo1203 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:51 pm

I have no idea if this is possible (and if it is, how common it is) but I'm very intrigued of the idea of having a salary cap for a snake draft league. I was trying to convince my league to go to an auction draft, but the votes weren't in my favor so we're back with our usual snake draft. We're in the first year of a keeper league and I was thinking of having each team have a certain amount of money to "sign" their players for the year. If they cut them, there would be a penalty and if you signed someone, you'd take on their salary, but you couldn't go over the salary cap. I guess with this idea, it could turn into more of a dynasty league, but is anything like this realistic or possible? I hope it makes sense! I appreciate your ideas and help!
Image Thanks to GiantsFan14 for the sig
lambo1203
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Salary Cap for Snake Draft League?

Postby fast dogs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:36 pm

I'm sure it could be done but it is probly going to be a huge hassle for the commish and guys will have to be very careful with who they can draft. Usually towards the end of an auction you'll have 4 players left to draft and $4 to spend so you can only make $1 nominations. That won't work here unless the service you are using has an aweful lot of $1 servicable players. You might have to do a partial draft using $ then finish by having any player as a $1 player. You'll need an extensive list of rules and salary cap provisions. Not sure if your league will want to mess with that
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Re: Salary Cap for Snake Draft League?

Postby StoneColdBrown » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:10 pm

Depends on how much your cap is. Most leagues that run like yours (I'm in one) use Cot's for salaries and set the cap at some appropriate amount (usually between $100-125MM). I've seen more startup leagues use Cot's, so it's definitely catching on. One thing I'll tell you is that you'll watch arbitration hearings a lot more closely if you institute such a system. If you have a group of really involved owners, it could work out well.
StoneColdBrown
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Commissioner's Corner