Please help: 16 Team Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Please help: 16 Team Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please help: 16 Team Draft

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:48 am

Here's my team: (I just took this over before the draft) - There are a couple of intriguing options here. I'm in the 10th round of the FA/expiring contract/prospect inclusive draft and I'm torn on who to take due to my team needs. FYI the guy who previously owned this team was kicked due to repetitive insulting and use of racial slurs against the commissioner. I hate to say he gave up a pretty good team, I guess I'm lucky. I need one more RP, 2b and 2 other bats (minimum) for off days. There are a few intriguing options left but after these it falls off completely.

Due to a trade I have two picks in the next three. I pick then the associate LM picks (he's completely rebuilding outside of Votto/Mcab) and I have the following pick. Here's the thing, he has offered me his pick for one of my starting pitchers that isn't Sabathia.

This pick I'm on now (10.02) is my regular round pick the extra came from this guy giving up Pujols for Rochy, Upton and 2 draft picks (one of which I already used).

Available options:
1b:
Garrett Jones (OF)
And a few backup types (giambi/kotchman etc)

2b:
(I have none on my team (Profar in minors - Ive gotten all kinds of offers for him but he's my one player that is OFF LIMITS due to my lack of other options. lack of trade partners and his raw talent) and there isn't much here available except - Tried to trade for Jason Kipnis and even Robby Cano (offered Upton and Moore for his Cano (who is signed for 2 seasons) and was rejected - but got rejected when asked about Kipnis (the other 2b options are on teams that don't really like to trade much) so those guys are out and there's nothing in FA and yet I need one - and one of these might get snatched up soon two picks after my last pick that guy also need a 2b and one utility bat - I need 2!):

Jemile Weeks (good young 2b but coming off terrible year really only option in FA I have...could drag my offensive ratios down...)
Kelly Johnson (currently a FA - will he sign and land even a half-time gig?)

3b
Kyle Seager (contract option not picked up) -- Good young player might be worth the risk?
And nothing but backup scrubs

SS NOTHING!
OF (a few options here - but I don't really need any OF (but need depth and Utilities)
Lorenzo Cain
Carlos Gomez
Cameron Maybin

SP: (intriguing options here)
Brandon McCarthy
Wei-Yen Chen
Francisco Liriano
Henderson Alvarez
+a couple others

RP:
Brian Wilson (take a chance that he signs with a team needing a closer - I'd potentially love having two quality MRP and 3 closers?)

And nothing else worth mentioning most all closers and top MRP are already taken and under contract. There are a few options but I'm locked up here minus one slot I could give to the above?

The above options are slim, with a couple of intriguing options left. I have pretty decent SP depth and a solid RP but adding Wilson would make my RP corps illegal providing he signs into a decent option. I mean a RP of his calibre deserves to sign and soon and he is mulling his options (not sure where he is yet).

I have two utility bats that are open, 5 slots on bench that will eventually get picked...and I need a 2b to start but there isn't any options. If Profar makes the majors he and Delgado will eventually find their way to my bench - that is my plan as of now to put them both on my bench at some point during the first half (I have until ASB to promote Delgado or I lose him for good)

FYI, I can choose to promote a prospect to my major league roster, however it comes with a cost of surrendered draft pick (just a strategical rule in league) - so I could promote Delgado or Profar here and risk it but I'd surrender one of my two picks and I don't really want to.

Who should I take with my pick here and maybe with my next pick after Jim (the Co-LM) makes his pick. My guess is he will select McCarthy because he has no pitching at all and he has 1b (Votto) 3b (cabrera) covered. He might go after one of those OF because his only viable OF is Alex Gordon. His OF and SP is why he is second to last in league. He only has SP/RP: Brett Myers and Jon Broxton under contract... the rest of his pitching is empty. His offense minus his OF is set even though its not that good outside of Mcab and votto he has a bunch of scrubs but at least he has some players to play.

The situation:

He has offered me his pick for one of my young arms (moore or minor) so I could have 3 picks in a row to shore up my offensive holes -what say you guys given my few options? I need a 2b in case Profar doesn't make the team or whatever (who is to know what they will do with Kinsler etc move him to OF or keep him at 2b and let Profar get a little more seasoning - Profar does me no good in the minors!) - Jemile (who I was looking at - at least can pick up a few SB and runs while I wait for profar to get called up!) Keppinger was also available but he was taken 3 picks before me. So that hurt a bit. Plus I have two open starting utility slots that need to be filled.

Here's my team: (very solid for a deep league if you ask me)

BRAVE WARRIORS - (THIS TEAM IS DEDICATED TO ALL CANCER VICTIMS AND THEIR FAMILIES)
C Wilin Rosario
1b Adam A. Laroche
2b EMPTY :-o :,-(
3b Martin Prado
SS Elvis Andrus
INF Andrelton Simmons
OF Bryce Harper, Carlos Gonzalez, Justin Upton, Brett Gardner, Torii Hunter
DH David Ortiz
UTLx2 EMPTY UNTIL DRAFT

5 OFFENSE BENCH EMPTY

Pitching (3SP, 3 P, 2 RP ((7 TOTAL SLOTS)) AND BENCH)
SP start 3 (daily)
CC Sabathia, Jered Weaver, Matt Moore, Jason Vargas, Mike Minor, J. Saunders
RP Rafael Soriano, Jon Papelbon, Kenley Jansen, A. Crow, C. Martinez

Protected Prospects: (5 slots)
Jurickson Profar 2b
Miguel Sano 3b
Hu-Jak Lee SS
Randall Delgado SP (will have to promote wating to see how early rounds in draft go before I promote)
EMPTY (spot vacated by Harper's promotion last season sometime) - will draft a flier OF in the later rounds here.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2090)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Please help: 16 Team Draft

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:41 am

Don't trade Moore or Minor.
Just play it cool, you look good.
Draft Kyle Seager. 15 road hrs.
McCarthy would be my next choice.
Cameron is a improving speed guy.
I think Wilson is about down myself.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby plamb23 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:18 pm

FYI---Rays just signed Kelly Johnson---http://bit.ly/GNToNs

I like your team; I wouldn't do anything drastic, but I did notice Gomez as a FA--I'm picking him up this year. I also agree on drafting Seager

good luck
plamb23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 288)

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:34 pm

I'll draft Seagar with my first pick here and probably KJ since he's available, thanks for letting me know the Rays signed him. That will help at least having someone til profar is ready.
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Brainstorm » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:50 pm

Are your games played requirements 20 for a position or less? If less, Seager played 18 games at 2b last year and would slot nicely. Just a thought.
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 252)

Postby PeoplezChoice » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:41 pm

plamb23 wrote:
I like your team; I wouldn't do anything drastic, but I did notice Gomez as a FA--I'm picking him up this year. I also agree on drafting Seager

good luck

CarGo 2.0 draft Gomez. The pick intrigues me, but not for FA's you mentioned. Value of Moore/Minor higher than that extra pick. I also like Seager.
PeoplezChoice
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby MadDog36 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:00 am

Well when my second pick came around I selected Carlos Gomez. He's young, has some upside, some speed occasional pop why not? Takes 25 games to gain eligibility at a position. We play tough.

UPDATE:
C Wilin Rosario
1b Adam A. Laroche
2b EMPTY
3b Martin Prado
SS Elvis Andrus
INF Andrelton Simmons
OF Bryce Harper, Carlos Gonzalez, Justin Upton, Brett Gardner, Torii Hunter
DH David Ortiz
UTLx2 Kyle Seager, Carlos Gomez

5 OFFENSE BENCH EMPTY

Pitching (3SP, 3 P, 2 RP ((7 TOTAL SLOTS)) AND BENCH)
SP start 3 (daily)
CC Sabathia, Jered Weaver, Matt Moore, Jason Vargas, Mike Minor, J. Saunders
RP Rafael Soriano, Jon Papelbon, Kenley Jansen, A. Crow, C. Martinez

This is how my team looks so far:

Now I'm on deck again. I like the pop and speed I added to my team at least I have some competent utility players. I'm not worried about my offensive bench if I have to I'll handcuff if worse comes to worse.

Bad news: KJ has been selected (two picks ago :~( ). I know why get upset over a half time player that only produces marginal stats.

Since i"m on deck, Jemile Weeks is the way to go right? Too bad Grant Green is already owned :/.
McCarthy still available but i should go for needs I think.

For prospect OF there really isn't much, three stand out to me: Jake Marisnick, Gary Brown, and the Yankees prospect OF what is his name I forget it. They will probably make it a few more rounds I'd rather address my most pressing need. Look I realize Weeks has to earn the job but at this point with no other options really available...!?

11.02 goes to Weeks unless you see something else? I don't know if I should risk another round going by, I could use a little more speed I guess and he'd provide that.

Can you help me formulate an offer for a 2b (I put on the block that I needed a 2b and would trade an OF or a young arm for one)....nothing yet I'll let you know if I get an answer.
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:38 am

I like best player over position need.
McCarthy is better then Vargas or Saunders, who you have.
If Weeks goes, there has to be some options left?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby MadDog36 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:40 pm

There is no projected starters available...either are under contract/prospect or already selected in draft.

Trust me I looked well through the FA wire and even inquired about an international FA signing could I 'draft' the rights to the player when he's added to the player database it hasn't happened yet (no I can't draft said player to my major league roster I'd have to draft him as a prospect then use one of my 10 minor league to major league roster moves that can happen between draft and offseason period. The league has some funny rules to prevent abuse of calling up and sending down. Basically we get one move each for each player twice. 5 slots 10 moves (that includes calling up and sending down as 1 move)

Any 2b prospects that are close to the majors are already tucked away. We have a few guys that like to horde certain positions and they won't trade or wait til they can make you overpay for marginal talent.

So you saying McCarthy anyway? Vargas isn't bad...yeah McCarthy would be an upgrade over Saunders for sure hootie..

anyone else?
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:46 pm

I guess if it's Weeks or nothing, take Weeks, and hope McCarthy lasts.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions