Zobrist/Kipnis Deal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Zobrist/Kipnis Deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Zobrist/Kipnis Deal

Postby americanleagueroto » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:28 pm

10 team keeper (keep 9) AL only 5x5 (OBP instead of BA) $260 budget

I trade $11 Jason Kipnis (In option year, either lose after this year, or extend for minimum 2 years at $5 per season)

I get $5 Dylan Bundy (in B year) and $26 Ben Zobrist (also in B year)

I have some good values on other players such as $4 Alex Gordon, $1 Kyle Seager and $7 Greg Holland to make up for keeping an expensive Zobrist (I have him valued at $25 in this format, but really like his position flexibility, especially in AL only play)

What do you guys think?

Even if Bundy doesn't throw much in 2012, I could extend him at $10 and $15 for 2014 and 2015, and Zobrist helps now.

Thanks

Dave ;-D
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Zobrist/Kipnis Deal

Postby kidsilk » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:31 pm

I like it. Zobrist is a beast and worth the cash. He helps in every category and can play pretty much anywhere. I also think Kipnis regresses somewhat this year. I would do it.

please help me out:

viewtopic.php?t=453764
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1231)

Postby Emerald City Blues » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:12 pm

I own both Kipnis and Zobrist. Have been trying to decide who to keep. So far, I'm, leaning towards Kipnis, so it interests me that you expect Kipnis to regess. In what way?

His babip was only .291, his batting average and iso in the majors were lower than his numbers in the minors (to me that looks like room for growth), he's got a full year of experience, and the Cleveland lineup has improved through offseason acquisitions (Swisher, Bourn, Choo). Plus, he's younger than Zobrist (zobrilla turns 32 this year...i think) and still trending up on his development.

What did I miss?

For myself, I decided that for long term keepers, kipnis is the better option. Zobrist will always have him beat in obp and position eligibility, but kipnis will continue to produce SBs. Last years stats for both guys were pretty similar, so all things considered, id roll the dice on a younger, still improving, (and in your case, cheaper) talent over zobrists position eligibility.

kidsilk wrote:I like it. Zobrist is a beast and worth the cash. He helps in every category and can play pretty much anywhere. I also think Kipnis regresses somewhat this year. I would do it.

please help me out:

viewtopic.php?t=453764
16 team, roto 6x6

C-Castro
1B-Goldschmidt, Rizzo, Butler
2B-Kipnis, Prado
3B-Sandoval, Frazier
SS-Miller
OFs-McCutchen, Werth, Brown, Swisher, Span, Castellanos

SPs-Wacha, Ryu, Wheeler, Ventura
RPs-Reed, Hunter, Soria, Clippard, Lindstrom, Fields
Emerald City Blues
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Quackman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:18 pm

Id rather keep Kipnis and extend him at that price.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby jtsandwich » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:16 am

Quackman wrote:Id rather keep Kipnis and extend him at that price.

;-D ;-D
Easy decision for me.
jtsandwich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 104)

Postby OBPlover » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:22 am

I think Kipnis is more likely to progress than regress. However, in an AL only league, Zobrist's positional flexibility is huge. If one of your guys goes down to injury, then you can shift Zobrist around and widen your player pool selection which is what you need in an Al only. Also, Dylan Bundy is one of the best AL pitching prospects. In the AL pitching is scarce. A mid season callup stud can win you the season.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Postby fsbarren » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:27 am

I think I'd go with Kipnis as well. The difference in expected production isn't enough to justify the difference in price unless you really value Zobrist's multi-positional eligibility (and really think Bundy is going to break out). I think Kipnis' upside is enough to warrant holding onto him at least another year to see if can take that next step. You might have something special with him.

If the primary criteria for you is 2B, I go with Kipnis. If you put a premium on the Zobrist's position versatility and are willing to gamble a little on Bundy, then go with them.
fsbarren
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 192)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 am

I'd keep Kipnis for that price. I like the upside with Kipnis, but i also have a completely unreasonable dislike for Ben Zobrist. :-b
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions