Bruce/J. Upton/Hamels for Fielder/Greinke - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Bruce/J. Upton/Hamels for Fielder/Greinke

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bruce/J. Upton/Hamels for Fielder/Greinke

Postby chargerss24 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:19 pm

I'm in a 12-team roto (standard stat + Holds/OBP) keeper auction league. I have a ton of salary to cut from my team to be at/under the $26 budget by our draft/auction. My current team. It sits at 33.20 right now, or 7.20 over budget so you don't have to do the math.

C - J. Lucroy (0.20), W. Rosario (1.40)
1B - J. Morneau (0.10)
2B - D. Pedroia (1.70)
SS - S. Castro (2.10)
3B - E. Longoria (2.40)
MI - H. Ramirez (1.70)
CI - B. Lawrie (1.50)
OF - J. Heyward (2.10), OF - C. Gonzalez (3.40), OF - J. Bruce (3.40)
U - J. Upton (2.70), U - D. Jennings (2.00), U - E. Hosmer (1.90)

SP - D. Price, (1.90), C. Hamels (1.80), J. Zimmermann (1.20), Matt Moore, (0.20), B. Anderson (0.10)
RP - J. Nathan, (0.60), J. McGee (0.10), J. Grillie (0.50), S. Dootlittle (0.10)

Some big time player will have to be move. I have a trade of Upton and Bruce for his 2.50 Prince Fielder and 1.00 Zack Greinke currently on the table, but I was really planning on keeping Price on my team, is this a good move on my part? Thought's? WHIR as always! ;-D
Last edited by chargerss24 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Price/J. Upton for Votto

Postby fast dogs » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:48 pm

I'm not sure how much this really helps as Upton is likely 1 of the cuts anyway. With such a good offense already lined up, I don't think I'd trade Price
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 280)

Postby MaudDib » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:57 pm

I think I would be ok with it but I don't love it. I rank Votto ahead of both Price and Upton and you fill a hole at 1B although with a much more expensive player.

In the end I am not sure this really gets you where you need to be. I feel you would be better off trying to pry away some cheap talent away from a team that has plenty of cap room.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:07 pm

MaudDib wrote:In the end I am not sure this really gets you where you need to be. I feel you would be better off trying to pry away some cheap talent away from a team that has plenty of cap room.

Yep. The trade is ok because you are trying to move players and dump salary. But it only saves you $2.00 which means you will have to make several other moves to get under the cap. If this was the only move to get under the cap, I would say ok, but this appears to be just one in a series of moves so its hard to guess how it will all play out.

To me Bruce and Hosmer stick out on your team as guys that are overpaid.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby wildcatbandit525 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:55 pm

Kimbos Beard wrote:
MaudDib wrote:In the end I am not sure this really gets you where you need to be. I feel you would be better off trying to pry away some cheap talent away from a team that has plenty of cap room.

Yep. The trade is ok because you are trying to move players and dump salary. But it only saves you $2.00 which means you will have to make several other moves to get under the cap. If this was the only move to get under the cap, I would say ok, but this appears to be just one in a series of moves so its hard to guess how it will all play out.

To me Bruce and Hosmer stick out on your team as guys that are overpaid.

Agreed
wildcatbandit525
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Bruce/J. Upton for Votto

Postby chargerss24 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:32 pm

This trade offer has now been amended to be a Bruce/Upton for a 2.50 Joey Votto. Hate to give up two stud bats for one, but with my salary issues, I don't have a lot of choice in trade or flat out dropping, some big time players. Thoughts? WHIR as always! ;-D
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby Padres Fan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:52 pm

chargerss24 wrote:This trade offer has now been amended to be a Bruce/Upton for a 2.50 Joey Votto. Hate to give up two stud bats for one, but with my salary issues, I don't have a lot of choice in trade or flat out dropping, some big time players. Thoughts? WHIR as always! ;-D

I dunno still doesn't do much to elp your team and you will still be well above budget, Morneau will be a steal at his salary, and Hosmer is decent price, I would probably find taker for both Bruce and Cargo and a couple others to get under budget.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=453715
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jtsandwich » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:08 am

Shit YES!! Look at it like this, Bruce is not a $3.40 player, no way. Upton $2.50, sure, but Votto at $2.5 is a steal. The guy your trading to will not be getting the value he thinks he is and will have a Bruce who is over priced. you on the other hand will have Votto! Do it asap, you have to cut salary regardless, this is a quick $3.40 and a 1 player upgrade.

Others, dump Jennings and Hosmer. These are the closest guys you have to lower gained value.
jtsandwich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 104)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 am

chargerss24 wrote:This trade offer has now been amended to be a Bruce/Upton for a 2.50 Joey Votto. Hate to give up two stud bats for one, but with my salary issues, I don't have a lot of choice in trade or flat out dropping, some big time players. Thoughts? WHIR as always! ;-D

This trade is much better than the last. It cuts your salary cap problem basically in half (the last trade didn't) and moves one of the guys who is tremendously overpaid on your team in Bruce (the last trade didn't). The chance to get a first round bat in Votto and the salary cap savings makes this a good move. I pull the trigger on it.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Uncle Whiskey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:14 pm

Absolutely for Bruce and Upton for Votto. Also as others have said, look to trade or cut Hosmer and Jennings. It might be possible to trade them to a team in need of talent that have cap room, but if not, there's no issue with simply cutting them. If you really want them, you can always attempt to get them back in the draft. But definitely trade for Votto.

Please help, if you can

viewtopic.php?t=453740
Uncle Whiskey
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions