Has anyone tried using google drive to auction draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Has anyone tried using google drive to auction draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Has anyone tried using google drive to auction draft

Postby TomS31 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:02 am

I'm hoping this may give some a nice starting idea on how to hold a slow draft.

I decided to create a spreadsheet on google drive. It supports apps and can be accessed without any logon id. Very convenient.
My main goal was to try and get an easy location all owners could get to for a slow auction draft without using a forum or free board. ( Not convenient.)

For those that are a step ahead of me Im looking for some ideas on how you may have set that up to be user friendly.
Right now I just created 5 columns Nominator-Player-Bid Price-Date-Last Bidder Name. With 12 rows 1 per owner.
Maybe a spreadsheet isnt the way to go and you added some other type of file to the cloud drive?

Thanks!!
TomS31
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Has anyone tried using google drive to auction draft

Postby lambo1203 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:51 pm

I was just thinking about this myself! It's an idea I toyed with, although it seems like you've given it a lot more thought that I have. I think the spreadsheet is a simple way for people to bid on players and the way you have it set up sounds right. What I'm concerned about is if there's one or two people in your league who don't get on as often or work weird hours, they might get screwed out of getting some players cheap (I haven't done an auction league before so this could just be a simple solution I haven't thought of.)

Another option I'm toying around with if I decide to do this type of draft is to have each team nominate a player and conduct a whole "round" over a set period, then continue with the next round and so on, that way it moves a bit but not too fast so people have a chance to bid on their players.

Hopefully this helps a bit Tom, and I'd love to hear other people get in on this as well...sounds like we both need some voices to help make 100% sense of this!
Image Thanks to GiantsFan14 for the sig
lambo1203
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 26)

Postby bigmck » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:36 am

You should do a real time auction, not a slow one. You can have everyone meet on ESPN and bid on your players at the same time. It is just a lot of fun. ESPN does not keep track of salaries from year to year, but does allow keepers. You can keep track of salaries on your Google spreadsheet. It will be a lot of fun. You should give it a try.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 58)

Postby TopChuckie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:20 pm

lambo1203 wrote:I was just thinking about this myself! It's an idea I toyed with, although it seems like you've given it a lot more thought that I have. I think the spreadsheet is a simple way for people to bid on players and the way you have it set up sounds right. What I'm concerned about is if there's one or two people in your league who don't get on as often or work weird hours, they might get screwed out of getting some players cheap (I haven't done an auction league before so this could just be a simple solution I haven't thought of.)

Another option I'm toying around with if I decide to do this type of draft is to have each team nominate a player and conduct a whole "round" over a set period, then continue with the next round and so on, that way it moves a bit but not too fast so people have a chance to bid on their players.

Hopefully this helps a bit Tom, and I'd love to hear other people get in on this as well...sounds like we both need some voices to help make 100% sense of this!

While it does seem like voting on one player at a time would take an awful long time, the problem I see with your everyone nominates a player for the round and you bid on them all at the same time is that there will come a point when an owner only has a limited amount of money or roster openings remaining and he might go to his max bid on two or more players in that particular round and wind up winning more than one and then not having the money to pay for all of them or the roster space to put them.

For example, I have only my SS spot open and $5 left in my auction budget, three of the remaining SS's are nominated in this round and I bid my max, $5, for all three, not knowing how the other owners will bid. Turns out none of the other owners are interested in these three SS's so a $5 bid wins each of them. Now what?

Bottom line is, you need to know the results of each previous player's bidding before you can determine how you plan to bid on another player.
TopChuckie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Commissioner's Corner