2013 Royals - Contending or disappointing fail? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 Royals - Contending or disappointing fail?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 Royals - Contending or disappointing fail?

Postby OBPlover » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:44 pm

jfg wrote:I don't like the Royals rotation very much, it doesn't scream playoff rotation to me. The lineup could easily win them the Central though. All they need is for Moustakas to progress and Hosmer to rebound. I really like Billy Butler this year, especially if those two guys breakout. You're looking at 1st round caliber potential for Butler if he gets some help from his supporting cast which isn't far fetched.

I don't think you meant to say "could easily win them the central". More like "could easily win them a wild card". Even if the Royals lineup does exceed expectations, I just can't see the gap being large enough to overcome the difference in starting rotation between them and the Tigers.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 247)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:26 pm

I should have replaced easily with could. Detroit's rotation is solid but not scary and they're counting on a 37 year old Torii Hunter and a 34 year old coming off an injury Victor Martinez to fill in the gaps in the heart of their lineup. It could work, but there's definitely a window of opportunity for KC and anybody else in the Central. It's really KC's window though because Chicago is in the same boat as Detroit without as much star power and Minnesota and Cleveland's lineups are filled with .250 hitters at best, and neither one has an ace or even a guy that would qualify as a 3rd starter on most teams.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:27 am

86-76 Almost contending and I wouldn't say a disappointing fail.
Dayton Moore has a different view
“In a small way, I feel like we’ve won the World Series.”

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/01/4523290/what-dayton-moore-really-meant.html
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby OBPlover » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:46 pm

Don't kid yourselves Royals fans, the team is still bad and will continue to be bad so long as the management continues to ignore the virtue of OBP. The team was 11th in the AL in runs scored with 648. Close to danger territory of Seattle- Minnesota -Chicago land of futility.

They had the best pitching in the AL...but pitching not really supported by FIP. They got more then expected out of Chen, Guthrie and Santana. The team had spectacular defense but also had some amazing relief pitching. Sorry, Holland is not going to repeat that kind of a year again.

So enjoy it while it last KC fans..because it won't.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 247)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers