2013 Royals - Contending or disappointing fail? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 Royals - Contending or disappointing fail?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 Royals - Contending or disappointing fail?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:43 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:I can see the Royals being a nice story up until about August 1. Then better teams will rise to the top and kick this team back to reality...75 wins.

I am almost locked in on Shields as a must-have SP in the 3rd round or lower (due to Royals effect).

3rd round????
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 461)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OBPlover » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:12 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Y`s Guy wrote:I can see the Royals being a nice story up until about August 1. Then better teams will rise to the top and kick this team back to reality...75 wins.

I am almost locked in on Shields as a must-have SP in the 3rd round or lower (due to Royals effect).

3rd round????

3rd round in an AL Central only draft :-D
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 247)

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Assuming three things...

1. Hosmer rebounds and has an OPS+ of at least 110
2. Francouer rebound and has an OPS+ of at least 100
3. Shields, Guthrie, Santana and Davis all have ERAs below 4.20.

I think 88-74 and they either get the 2nd WC, or are eliminated in the final week.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:34 pm

I wasn't sure where to ask this, figured this would be a good spot.

2B. who's there?
Johnny Giavotella or Chris Getz?
can Johnny Giavotella break out, well for him anyway. might not sound like much, could he go at least 10/10 plus?
career minor league - .308/.380/.443/.823

I don't think beating out Chris Getz should be that difficult. I read Getz bulked up. he has 2 HR in 1175 career major league AB. oh bulk, what's he going to do, hit 4 HR.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 517)

2013 Royals - Contending or disappointing fail?

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:06 am

SpecialFNK wrote:I wasn't sure where to ask this, figured this would be a good spot.

2B. who's there?
can Johnny Giavotella break out, well for him anyway. might not sound like much, could he go at least 10/10 plus?

I don't think beating out Chris Getz should be that difficult. I read Getz bulked up. he has 2 HR in 1175 career major league AB. oh bulk, what's he going to do, hit 4 HR.

Either way, this is a glaring hole.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 406)

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:26 am

Getz at least had a .700+ ops vs. RHPs in '12. So as an injury replacement for a couple games would work.
Giavotella is on his last shot as a Royal in my opinion. He does have good AAA numbers, but on the 20/80 scale, he only has one tool which is anything more than a 50, and that is the ability to hit for contact. That tool has not translated in his MLB ABs so far. Couple the lack of success with a lack of ability to play anywhere else on the field...and that he will be 26 in July...he is on his last chance.

The guy I'd watch for by the end of the season is Christian Colon. His #s improved last season, and he got to AAA at the end of the season. He can play 2B or SS, is a former 4th overall pick, and has drawn comps to Placido Polanco. I think he holds down 2B by this time next year...and maybe by August of this season.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:31 am

lastingsgriller wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:I wasn't sure where to ask this, figured this would be a good spot.

2B. who's there?

the same thing could have been said about Escobar before 2012 season. he had a decent season in 2012, and looks to be the 2 hitter for 2013. Giavotella had better minor league numbers than Escobar did, and could/should end up better than Escobar.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Tavish » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:40 am

SpecialFNK wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:

2B. who's there?

the same thing could have been said about Escobar before 2012 season. he had a decent season in 2012, and looks to be the 2 hitter for 2013. Giavotella had better minor league numbers than Escobar did, and could/should end up better than Escobar.

Escobar can play excellent SS defense and the next best option for the team was Betancourt which would have kept him in the lineup pretty much no matter his batting line. Gio has been having all sorts of issues defensively and Getz has been solid in the field and just as "good" at the plate in his time in KC. I think Getz wins the spot out of ST, but would expect Gio to get plenty of time at the position to prove if he can stick or not.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:40 pm

Cain's value took a hit.
Gordon to leadoff.
Royals manager Ned Yost indicated on Saturday that Alex Gordon will return to hitting leadoff for the 2013 season.
Gordon spent the final month and a half of the 2012 campaign hitting in the third spot in the lineup after Eric Hosmer was dropped in the order. Kansas City's order in 2013 will go Gordon, Alcides Escobar, Hosmer, Billy Butler, Salvador Perez, Mike Moustakas, Jeff Francoeur, Lorenzo Cain and Chris Getz (or Johnny Giavotella).
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jfg » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:00 pm

I don't like the Royals rotation very much, it doesn't scream playoff rotation to me. The lineup could easily win them the Central though. All they need is for Moustakas to progress and Hosmer to rebound. I really like Billy Butler this year, especially if those two guys breakout. You're looking at 1st round caliber potential for Butler if he gets some help from his supporting cast which isn't far fetched.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers