Justin Upton to the Braves - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Justin Upton to the Braves

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Justin Upton to the Braves

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:41 pm

looks like all 4 OF could see action.
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said Thursday that he plans on all of his outfielders getting 400-500 at-bats in 2013.
Now that Justin Upton has been traded to the Braves, the Diamondbacks project to have Adam Eaton in center field and Jason Kubel and Cody Ross in the corners, with Gerardo Parra rotating between all three spots. Eaton is the biggest winner in the deal from a fantasy perspective and should shoot up sleeper lists in the days ahead.

Adam Eaton definitely has the potential to be the every day leadoff hitter, and be good.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:37 am

OBPlover wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:I'm glad I'm not a D'Backs fan. Yikes. Dumping Young, Bauer and Upton for very weak returns because they aren't "gritty" enough. They'd have been much better off just dumping Gibson and getting a manager that is satisfied with immense raw talent.

Prado is not "weak".

I didn't say he was weak, I said he was a weak return for one of the best young hitters in baseball. Upton has 3 years of team control left, whereas Prado is in his walk year and will require a hefty FA-worthy raise to keep him. Yeah, Randall Delgado is a nice prospect, but this is still a really bad return. Maybe not as bad as the return on Chris Young and Trevor Bauer, but that's not exactly the bar to aim for.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby Montana168 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Reminds me of the deal that sent James Shields to KC. That deal was heavily lopsided in favor of TB, and KC received a solid vet, but they are unlikely to contend this year so didn't make sense.

Similarly here, the Dbacks gave up a young Justin Upton for a solid vet in Prado but they are unlikely to contend so didn't make sense really.

Although I really think this deal was made in anticipation of another move: moving Prado at the deadline. If the Dbacks are out of contention at the trade deadline, I'd be shocked if Martin Prado was still wearing a Dbacks uniform at the end of the year. Makes sense to lock him up to a long term deal now so that when you trade him, the acquiring team is not just acquiring a rental player. So the D-backs shipped Upton for the best deal they could find, and got back a solid vet that should yield them a decent batch of prospects at the deadline. Prado would be a perfect fit for a team like the Dodgers (3b) or Cards (2b) or Angels (3b) at the deadline.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby oscar15 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:31 pm

kaiser wrote:Just to show how well regarded Pradois here in Atlanta, and how much he means to Brvaes fans: the headline in the Atlanta Journal Constitution today did not read, "Braves Trade for Justin Upton." It read, "Martin Prado is no longer a Brave."

The AJC has a tendency to focus on the negative side of anything the Braves do. If they ever win another WS, I expect the Headline to read; "Braves require 5 games to win World Series"
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)

Postby MaudDib » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Montana168 wrote:Reminds me of the deal that sent James Shields to KC. That deal was heavily lopsided in favor of TB, and KC received a solid vet, but they are unlikely to contend this year so didn't make sense.

Similarly here, the Dbacks gave up a young Justin Upton for a solid vet in Prado but they are unlikely to contend so didn't make sense really.

Although I really think this deal was made in anticipation of another move: moving Prado at the deadline. If the Dbacks are out of contention at the trade deadline, I'd be shocked if Martin Prado was still wearing a Dbacks uniform at the end of the year. Makes sense to lock him up to a long term deal now so that when you trade him, the acquiring team is not just acquiring a rental player. So the D-backs shipped Upton for the best deal they could find, and got back a solid vet that should yield them a decent batch of prospects at the deadline. Prado would be a perfect fit for a team like the Dodgers (3b) or Cards (2b) or Angels (3b) at the deadline.

IMO not quite the same ballpark as the KC trade. Maybe it is my biased opinion since I am a Royals fan and one of the few it seems that was ok with the deal. But KC gave up a top prospect who has done nothing in the majors. The Diamondbacks gave up a guy who was 5th in MVP voting in 2011 and had a very solid but unspectacular year last year. I also think Shields has more value especially with KC as they had little to no SP and they get Shields for two years instead of Prado for 1. At some point it might look bad for KC but if Myers turns into any number of failed prospects or any number of prospects that took much longer to produce than was originally expected, I don't think the deal will look bad for KC.

It already looks bad for the DBacks.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby OBPlover » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:51 pm

jackie hayes wrote:
OBPlover wrote:Right now here is the Dback's lineup (estimated)

Prado 3B
Hill 2B
Kubel LF
Goldschmidt b
Ross RF
Montero C
Parra CF
Pennington SS
Pitcher

Doesn't look that bad to me.

You don't see Eaton as a regular?

Hey I was just going by the Dbacks.com website Depth Chart. Eaton Should definitely be a regular. I'm not high on Parra. My guess is by the end of the season Eaton will be a regular.

And if Eaton is named the everyday CF, then the lineup looks even better.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Postby OBPlover » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:56 pm

Montana168 wrote:Reminds me of the deal that sent James Shields to KC. That deal was heavily lopsided in favor of TB, and KC received a solid vet, but they are unlikely to contend this year so didn't make sense.

James Shields is heavily overrated. A long standing benefactor from TB's undeniable Park Factor.

That being said...If you go over to the TB website most of their casual fans think they got ripped off.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jeffmerk » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:59 pm

They couldn't get a better prospect package for Upton now instead of Prado later? It's a dark day for Phillies fans. The Braves just got that much better and the Nats have gone all in this winter and are LOADED.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jeffmerk » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:31 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
OBPlover wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:I'm glad I'm not a D'Backs fan. Yikes. Dumping Young, Bauer and Upton for very weak returns because they aren't "gritty" enough. They'd have been much better off just dumping Gibson and getting a manager that is satisfied with immense raw talent.

Prado is not "weak".

His 2012 War was better than Justin Upton's alone. Add in Randy Delgado and some other solid prospects and the deal is quite fine for the Dbacks.

Right now here is the Dback's lineup (estimated)

Prado 3B
Hill 2B
Kubel LF
Goldschmidt b
Ross RF
Montero C
Parra CF
Pennington SS
Pitcher

Doesn't look that bad to me.

Pretty sure swap Ross and Prado. Gibson says he sees Prado as a #5 hitter and wants him up with guys on base. It's a decent line up, but worse than it was before the offseason imo.

MLBDEPTHCHARTS.COM projects Eaton leading off, Prado #5 and Parra on the Bench.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OBPlover » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Yes ..I was talking about Diamondbacks.com. The official site.

At the end of the day, no one really knows except their manager.

Eaton should be their leadoff hitter but who knows?
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers