Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator

Postby mr anderson... » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:49 am

Bloody Sox wrote:Wow - fantastic effort here. A few things that either I didn't know how to do or aren't in there that would be great enhancements, especially while in the middle of a draft:

1. If the Big Board is the place intended to draft a player, then there should be an option to hide drafted players.
2. Again assuming the Big Board is where you should draft players, then you should be able to filter by position
3. The Position Summary page is great, but if there were a condensed view, it would be easier to use on draft day. It is REALLY wide - maybe without "original values" and "score", and without team names? The other option would be to have a secondary tab selection mechanism on that worksheet to select from each of the positions - in that way, you could actually have more information shown per position.
4. If you made enough room, then maybe be able to draft from the Position Summary page?
5. Similar to #1, it would be great to have an option to hide drafted players on the position summary page,
6. The Pitchers and Batters tabs don't have any projected data in them? Is that just not supported yet?
7. Once/if there is Pitchers and Batters data included, then it would be nice to be able to sort on projected stat categories and let the user draft from that screen as well.
8. I know this is tailored towards an auction draft, but if it were to be used in a snake draft, having a worksheet that was geared towards that with a draft board table would be useful.

In a nutshell, being able to view information easier and draft from wherever you are viewing that information would be my main suggestion.

I usually put together a worksheet of my own with some new bells and whistles... maybe I can try to incorporate them into yours.

Great job!



1 - this is a good idea. I will start thinking about this but my first impression is i would need to use VBA and im not good enough for that yet. Maybe when i get into it, it will be easier though. good input.

2 - ill look into making this a table format. but for the time being you could just use excel sort functions for a less than ideal solution.

3 - im a little confused. are you saying to put in a drop box or a button select for position to view? i'm sorry i dont know what you mean by secondary tab selection. i would be real hesitant to remove values and scores as it just becomes a list of names and there is not line of comparison at that point. the entire purpose of this is to determine a relative worth value against one another so i think what you may be wanting out of this is outside of the scope of this project. clarification would help.

6 - the projected data was there - the empty cells were for the end user to include their own projections to override the composite values. i have amended the view to include the projection composite behind the option for end user override in my next update coming today.

7 - you could sort with excel sort functions. i was able to get this put in successfully but it slowed the spreadsheet down way too much as i had to resort to using an array formula. array formulae within excel are only good for small ranges. 1000+ sent this to a crawl so i will keep the big board as the draft center for the time being. when i overhaul this whole thing to VBA, i will address this issue once again. i do like this idea though.

8 - i will work on this eventually but usually the draft sites that are typically used will have this info easily available and visible so i will make this a low priority. for live drafts i could see this being useful so i will not entirely disregard.


good feedback, i really do appreciate this. gets me to think about how i can still improve this as a whole.
mr anderson...
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 32
Joined: 20 Oct 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:31 am

mr anderson... wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:3. The Position Summary page is great, but if there were a condensed view, it would be easier to use on draft day. It is REALLY wide - maybe without "original values" and "score", and without team names? The other option would be to have a secondary tab selection mechanism on that worksheet to select from each of the positions - in that way, you could actually have more information shown per position.
4. If you made enough room, then maybe be able to draft from the Position Summary page?


3 - im a little confused. are you saying to put in a drop box or a button select for position to view? i'm sorry i dont know what you mean by secondary tab selection. i would be real hesitant to remove values and scores as it just becomes a list of names and there is not line of comparison at that point. the entire purpose of this is to determine a relative worth value against one another so i think what you may be wanting out of this is outside of the scope of this project. clarification would help.


Sorry - what I mean to say here is that when you go to the Position Summary page, you need to scroll to the right a lot to see the positions that are on the right side. This would be cumbersome during a draft, especially on a laptop. I was thinking that you could put each position onto separate tabs, or what I was suggesting (which I know I've seen before) is that you can have one tab contain a table that has its own tabs that let you select each position, all from the same view without scrolling. I know I've seen this before, I'll see if I can find an example.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2148
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fenway Park, RF Roof Deck

Re: Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator

Postby mr anderson... » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:35 am

Bloody Sox wrote:
mr anderson... wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:3. The Position Summary page is great, but if there were a condensed view, it would be easier to use on draft day. It is REALLY wide - maybe without "original values" and "score", and without team names? The other option would be to have a secondary tab selection mechanism on that worksheet to select from each of the positions - in that way, you could actually have more information shown per position.
4. If you made enough room, then maybe be able to draft from the Position Summary page?


3 - im a little confused. are you saying to put in a drop box or a button select for position to view? i'm sorry i dont know what you mean by secondary tab selection. i would be real hesitant to remove values and scores as it just becomes a list of names and there is not line of comparison at that point. the entire purpose of this is to determine a relative worth value against one another so i think what you may be wanting out of this is outside of the scope of this project. clarification would help.


Sorry - what I mean to say here is that when you go to the Position Summary page, you need to scroll to the right a lot to see the positions that are on the right side. This would be cumbersome during a draft, especially on a laptop. I was thinking that you could put each position onto separate tabs, or what I was suggesting (which I know I've seen before) is that you can have one tab contain a table that has its own tabs that let you select each position, all from the same view without scrolling. I know I've seen this before, I'll see if I can find an example.


oh yeah i like this idea a lot. it has bothered me the amount of right scrolling that was needed. i will start putting together ideas on how i could do this, and if you happen to stumble across something that looks close to what you are thinking with the table and tabs please forward that to me. im not familiar how to do that yet.

thanks for the good input (:
mr anderson...
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 32
Joined: 20 Oct 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator

Postby mr anderson... » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:02 pm

ok i have put together a better positional table, and i think i may make one for a statistics table as well (Being able to sort by most HR/RBI/W etc). this will be a much more complicated task than the positional i put together so i wanted to see if you would look at it first to ensure this is along the lines of what you wanted.

I didnt want to finish it all up and then have to retrofit features as it is much easier to do in one setting when it is still fresh in my mind.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rj0e4rylfe1id ... -2013.xlsx

thanks for the idea on this...it is looking and performing much better than the long horizontal list i did before.
mr anderson...
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 32
Joined: 20 Oct 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:09 am

mr anderson... wrote:ok i have put together a better positional table, and i think i may make one for a statistics table as well (Being able to sort by most HR/RBI/W etc). this will be a much more complicated task than the positional i put together so i wanted to see if you would look at it first to ensure this is along the lines of what you wanted.

I didnt want to finish it all up and then have to retrofit features as it is much easier to do in one setting when it is still fresh in my mind.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rj0e4rylfe1id ... -2013.xlsx

thanks for the idea on this...it is looking and performing much better than the long horizontal list i did before.


Yeah, not exactly what I was thinking, but that does just as well and is a much easier implementation - nice work.

I'll to take another closer look at this in the coming weeks to see if there are any other issues or easy improvements.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2148
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fenway Park, RF Roof Deck

Re: Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:49 pm

When I turn on QS it makes the big board stop displaying players.
Image
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5089
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator

Postby mr anderson... » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:16 am

KCollins1304 wrote:When I turn on QS it makes the big board stop displaying players.

Thank you for bringing to my attention. I fixed this weird bug and a small issue with no/al only formats. New file is same link as before. Thank you
mr anderson...
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 32
Joined: 20 Oct 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator

Postby mr anderson... » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
mr anderson... wrote:ok i have put together a better positional table, and i think i may make one for a statistics table as well (Being able to sort by most HR/RBI/W etc). this will be a much more complicated task than the positional i put together so i wanted to see if you would look at it first to ensure this is along the lines of what you wanted.

I didnt want to finish it all up and then have to retrofit features as it is much easier to do in one setting when it is still fresh in my mind.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rj0e4rylfe1id ... -2013.xlsx

thanks for the idea on this...it is looking and performing much better than the long horizontal list i did before.


Yeah, not exactly what I was thinking, but that does just as well and is a much easier implementation - nice work.

I'll to take another closer look at this in the coming weeks to see if there are any other issues or easy improvements.


for what it is worth, i transitioned to VBA and included a function to hide/show drafted players, as well as made a few other improvements if anyone was following. I like the idea of being able to draft from the tabled view of positions and stat worksheets so i will try to address this. i have this #2 on my todo list in terms of feature additions.

thanks again for the feedback
mr anderson...
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 32
Joined: 20 Oct 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator

Postby kickureface » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:53 pm

2 very useful ideas for you that you should consider adding:

on the page with big board, add in the stats for the categories for the league, prob averaged like you have in thep ictcher/batter page. those pages are great but i would never use since theres TOO MANY PLAYERS! i only want to see the top ones, hence one sorted by value or by something. let me know what you think

also on big board, add in the ADP from some source like MDC or yahoo or whateverl eague we use (that would be cool). that way we can see the difference in draft position and value!

also, adding color or zzscore values helps us see if the 40sb over 30sb is significant compared to 35hr to 25hr if you know what i mean. this is helpful for OVERALL VALUE and value for each categorie (like Baseball monster etc)
12x23
Keep: 1IF, 1OF, 1SP, 1RP
R, HR, RBI, AVG, SB, BB, K, 1B, 2B, (3B, E, GS)
W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, BB, HLD, IP, QS, (L, BS, CG)

C: Montero
1B: Teix
2B: Roberts
3B: Longoria
SS: Nishioka
LF: Holliday
CF: Rios
RF: Bruce
OF: Pence
IF: Kila
Util: Raburn
kickureface
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 420
Joined: 27 Sep 2008
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator

Postby jimmatz » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:19 pm

When I click on the dropbox link to download it says there is nothing there? Can you repost it?

Thanks!!
jimmatz
T-Ball Trainer


Posts: 1
Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ayebatter and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Seattle at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Texas at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Colorado at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
LA Angels at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Francisco at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Toronto at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Kansas City at Oakland
(9:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Chi Cubs at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Atlanta at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact