Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator

Postby mr anderson... » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:39 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:Wow, it looks great! The one thing that isn't working for me is selecting what team drafted a player. The cell indicates a drop down menu, but there doesn't appear to be any way to select a team. My settings are for a 10-team AL-Only Roto league.

Also, the value of pitchers appear to be slightly low. It may be just b/c of my settings, but Verlander is valued at $24, while, in most assessments, he's valued at closer to $33ish. It's a 10-team al-only league with OBP and K-BB as additional categories. If I set the custom $ allocation to ON and set it to 70%, it seems to work a little better.

one bug i havent been able to figure out is the team dropdown menu. there is a scroll bar and it always seems to show blanks instead of the team names when selecting. try sliding that up and down and let me know what you see.

also what version are you using? I have fixed some very minor bugs that, while probably not having a huge impact overall, it may change some values slightly. here is a link to the most recent:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w6eerdefmfrso ... -2013.xlsx

i know it is getting big - i ran into this problem the first time around. I am working on making it a smaller file - more than likely im going to have to start incorporating VBA into this thing. too big for my liking as it is and i still have a lot of projection sources i plan to add

edit: out of curiosity - what are your league settings? i would like to make sure i havent overlooked anything and you are getting falsely low pitcher values
mr anderson...
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:48 pm

My league settings are:

10-Team Al-Only with standard cats plus OBP for hitters and K-BB for pitchers

Positions
C, C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, MI, CI, 5 OF, Util, No Bench

9 P

Another strange thing I've noticed is that if I change the SP/RP/P tabs to have 0 SP, 0 RP, and 9 P, than the players in the big board tab don't show up anymore.

In the "Drafted By" Column, there comes up a scroll thing, like I should be able to pick from a list, but there are no team names/numbers listed. If I try to hand enter the team number, it says invalid input or something like that.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mr anderson... » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:59 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:My league settings are:

10-Team Al-Only with standard cats plus OBP for hitters and K-BB for pitchers

Positions
C, C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, MI, CI, 5 OF, Util, No Bench

9 P

Another strange thing I've noticed is that if I change the SP/RP/P tabs to have 0 SP, 0 RP, and 9 P, than the players in the big board tab don't show up anymore.

In the "Drafted By" Column, there comes up a scroll thing, like I should be able to pick from a list, but there are no team names/numbers listed. If I try to hand enter the team number, it says invalid input or something like that.

oops youre right - i accidentally deleted the reference to the teams when moving tables around. i have uploaded a new version here. re-download from the same link i put a few posts ago and it will be the updated version. I will review your league settings now.

thanks for pointing out the bug!

edit: ok heres my conclusion with your league settings

the maths are correct.

take standard yahoo 5x5.
9 hitters
7 pitchers
56.5% of starters are hitters

now take your settings:
14 hitters
9 pitchers
60.9% of starers are hitters

simply put, hitters are much more valuable in this league compared to standard formats because you need more of them. and when you have 2 catchers, big value can be added to the top tier catchers because of their replacement level is so low (with bare minimum 20 catchers needed)

i dont see the bug you have with the 0,0,9 setting for pitchers.

here is a screencap of my setup screen now
http://i.imgur.com/bAnf3dU.png?1
and my bigboard is fine. do i happen to be missing something? https://www.dropbox.com/s/bliteza5p79cvfs/bb2.JPG (Screencap with those settings)

thanks again for the help

i just spent the last 3 minutes trying to figure out where buster posey went in this league. forgot it was AL only. Im taking a break this weekend, getting pretty burned out. let me know if you see anything else or think of any features this needs.

cheers
mr anderson...
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:31 pm

Ok. I think I figured out why I was getting an error with 0 SP, 0 RP, and 9 P. I also changed the inning limit to "No", which then results in the big board going wacky. Now, my league does have a minimum of 900 innings required, but it does not have a maximum innings limit. I'm assuming that the "inn limit" is for a maximum innings limit?

The spreadsheet is fantastic, by the way. I hope you don't mind if I use it for my advantage at my upcoming draft?

I think you're right about the pitchers not being as valuable. I think our league just places higher values on pitchers due to demand, so I may need to bump up the values slightly, but I understand your logic.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigZ38 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:35 pm

The most recent download I had, the drop down for teams does not work.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby mr anderson... » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:44 am

here is new link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mjj1o44eo3ic ... -2013.xlsx

i fixed the bug with 0 sp/rp and included the fix for the team names on big board.
mr anderson...
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mr anderson... » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:00 am

Nomar4prez wrote:The spreadsheet is fantastic, by the way. I hope you don't mind if I use it for my advantage at my upcoming draft?

no problems man, this is why i am releasing it like this. im not looking to make any money or anything; I like doing this and wanted to share (:

enjoy
mr anderson...
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:39 am

Wow - fantastic effort here. A few things that either I didn't know how to do or aren't in there that would be great enhancements, especially while in the middle of a draft:

1. If the Big Board is the place intended to draft a player, then there should be an option to hide drafted players.
2. Again assuming the Big Board is where you should draft players, then you should be able to filter by position
3. The Position Summary page is great, but if there were a condensed view, it would be easier to use on draft day. It is REALLY wide - maybe without "original values" and "score", and without team names? The other option would be to have a secondary tab selection mechanism on that worksheet to select from each of the positions - in that way, you could actually have more information shown per position.
4. If you made enough room, then maybe be able to draft from the Position Summary page?
5. Similar to #1, it would be great to have an option to hide drafted players on the position summary page,
6. The Pitchers and Batters tabs don't have any projected data in them? Is that just not supported yet?
7. Once/if there is Pitchers and Batters data included, then it would be nice to be able to sort on projected stat categories and let the user draft from that screen as well.
8. I know this is tailored towards an auction draft, but if it were to be used in a snake draft, having a worksheet that was geared towards that with a draft board table would be useful.

In a nutshell, being able to view information easier and draft from wherever you are viewing that information would be my main suggestion.

I usually put together a worksheet of my own with some new bells and whistles... maybe I can try to incorporate them into yours.

Great job!
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:01 am

Another thing that I noticed was that if you enter in drafted values for players (such as you would for a keeper league), and then you adjust any of the rankings or values (such as adjusting the weighting of certain categories), the already entered "keeper" values don't adjust with rankings of the players. Thus, if Verlander was ranked 10th, and "kept" at $40, and you adjusted the rankings so that Verlander was 8th, and now Josh Hamilton was 10th, it shows that Hamilton being "kept" at $40.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mr anderson... » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:30 am

Nomar4prez wrote:Another thing that I noticed was that if you enter in drafted values for players (such as you would for a keeper league), and then you adjust any of the rankings or values (such as adjusting the weighting of certain categories), the already entered "keeper" values don't adjust with rankings of the players. Thus, if Verlander was ranked 10th, and "kept" at $40, and you adjusted the rankings so that Verlander was 8th, and now Josh Hamilton was 10th, it shows that Hamilton being "kept" at $40.

the latest update has this fix in. this was a difficult problem and i am not happy with my solution so i am still working on it.

I made 2 columns, one for unweighted ranks and one for weighted ranks. the unweighted ranks will act as an anchor and allow the keeper/drafted values to remain consistent when changing weights and ranks. the end user will need to sort the 'weighted rank' column to get a sequential order on the big board. when sorting this way, the teams and values will carry over with them during the process.

a known bug is if you enter keeper/draft values and then add or subtract statistical categories. this will change the anchor name but not the corresponding teams and values.

i have some other ideas but i like them less than the one i implemented. Thank you for bringing this to my attention though
mr anderson...
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers